I was forced to watch CNN at the gym today...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

I was forced to watch CNN at the gym today...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

The entire time I was there they talked about how bad of day it was on Wall St. This would not bother me were it not for the fact that I never saw them talk about the stock market when stocks were going up and records were being broken.

But the worst part (and this was really just gross dishonesty) was that they had a chyron at the bottom of the screen that said "DOW plunges 1175 points" while showing a video clip of Republicans clapping after they passed the tax cut bill. Like REALLY? You're going to blame Republicans for a bad couple of days on Wall St.????? There was no mention of the good economic news from Friday that showed a job market that has made a miraculous recovery. How dishonest can you get?

Oh, and of course no mention at all of the Grassley memo bombshell that came out today. They are simply ignoring this. And we all know that if/when they finally have to discuss it, they will give it the Nunes memo treatment where they never tell the audience what's in it. Instead they will just give the DNC talking points. However, I am quite sure they will trumpet the Schiff memo to the highest hilt once its released.

CNN - the most corrupt name in news.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
UpstateSCHokie

Re: I was forced to watch CNN at the gym today...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Rich Noyes & Neil Cavuto exposed the Democrat media's dishonesty today on Your World.

=======================================

MRC’s Noyes Exposes Liberal Media’s Double Standard on Trump Stock Market Coverage
By NB Staff | February 5, 2018 3:23 PM EST

With the Dow Jones Industrial Average taking another nosedive on Monday, the MRC’s Rich Noyes joined Neil Cavuto’s eponymous Fox Business Network program to discuss the findings of a study by MRC Business’s Julia Seymour that found a massive double standard from the major broadcast networks on stock market increases vs. tumbles.

Cavuto set up Noyes by observing that they’re suddenly “very interested in the stock market” now that it’s doing down but “weren’t that big into it when stocks were going up.”

Noyes elaborated on that point, stating that “the rise in the Dow, the rise in stocks the past 13 months is one of the undercovered stories of the last — of the Trump presidency” with 81 records that Seymour tracked.

“My colleague Julia Seymour has been keeping track of this. 61 of those times your ABC, CBS, NBC evening newscasts did not find them worth covering. They gave a couple of mines to Dow 25,000, just a few seconds the Dow 26,000, but they all had big reports Friday night for this two percent correction on Friday....[T]hey’re sort of missing the ride up, but making sure people pay attention to the ride down,” he added.

Cavuto replied that President Trump has been unique compared to previous presidents by focusing more on the stock market as proof of a strong economy, so Noyes opined that “the media sort of ridiculed President Trump for pointing to the stock market every day, saying, well, he didn’t have anything to do with it” but Barack Obama did.

“Now all of a sudden that it's down a couple of a percent and you pointed out the reason why: It’s rising interest rates. Interest rates based on stronger economic growth. Suddenly, it seems like it's a bad thing and they want to, you know, point out this is biggest correction since he took office. I've heard that phrase over and over again in the last 72 hours,” he continued.

Going forward, Noyes predicted that network financial analysts “will warn people not to overreact, which they should not do, but I think they will try to sort of put a dampen on the general economic good feeling that you've had with President Trump over the last couple of months.”

To see the relevant transcript from FBN’s Cavuto: Coast to Coast on February 5, click “expand”:
FBN’s Cavuto: Coast to Coast
February 5, 2018
1:28 p.m. Eastern

[ON-SCREEN HEADLINE: Breaking News; Down at Session Lows]

NEIL CAVUTO: But I do notice this since I try to keep an eye on all the news and business channels because that's the kind of guy I am, America. You’re welcome. Anyway, I've noticed all of a sudden, they are very interested in the stock market, which I like because it's my little nerdy world, so I like when people pay attention to what I pay attention to. But you know, they weren’t that big into it when stocks were going up. So, we were following it when it’s going. We follow it when it’s going down. We don't ignore one way or the other year, but I do find it interesting that now it's a big deal, so I'm happy to have them come along for the ride into my nerdy little world, but it seems they’re predisposed when it's negative and not when it’s positive. But again, that could be me. But people actually watch this stuff all the time to crunch the numbers and actually see if I'm right that this is unusual. Media Research Center Research Director Rich Noyes on this. Rich, it’s uncanny. All of a sudden, I see these big old bugs, that’s what we call them there. They were slashing the Dow as they should. But I don’t remember any of that when we were going up, up. What’s going on?

RICH NOYES: No. This is, I mean, a little bit as the news business. A plane crash is

CAVUTO: Absolutely.

NOYES: — more newsworthy than planes landing safely time after time. However, the rise in the Dow, the rise in stocks the past 13 months is one of the undercovered stories of the last — of the Trump presidency. There have been 81 records. My colleague Julia Seymour has been keeping track of this. 81 records in the Dow since last year. 61 of those times your ABC, CBS, NBC evening newscasts did not find them worth covering. They gave a couple of mines to Dow 25,000, just a few seconds the Dow 26,000, but they all had big reports Friday night for this two percent correction on Friday. My guess is if they are down like we are now they will do big stories again tonight. But, you know, they’re sort of missing the ride up, but making sure people pay attention to the ride down.

CAVUTO: Well, you know, here is where the President may have dug himself a bit of a pit here and that is the predisposition to quote the markets all the time. And I understand that he says the media doesn't give enough credit for that.

[ON-SCREEN HEADLINE: Stocks Extend Selloff]

That is fine, but other White House arguments have enormous run ups under their watch, Ronald Reagan, you know, Bill Clinton for a while, George Bush junior, they avoided that and focus instead on things like how many more people were getting jobs, whether tax rates had benefited their take-home pay, et cetera. This President wetted himself to the markets and so you own it on the way up. You potentially on it on the way down. A White House spokesman on Air Force One traveling with the president to Ohio said that the markets fluctuate but that the fundamentals of the economy are very strong. Now, obviously, if I had a dime every time I heard the administration argue that, they’re technically right and technically right in this case. But you live by the sword, you die by the sword, right?

[ON-SCREEN HEADLINE: Breaking News; Stocks at Session Lows; Trump Arrives in Ohio to Tout Tax Cuts]

NOYES: Well, yes, but I mean, the media sort of ridiculed President Trump for pointing to the stock market every day, saying, well, he didn’t have anything to do with it. He inherited it from President Obama. Now all of a sudden that it's down a couple of a percent and you pointed out the reason why: It’s rising interest rates.

CAVUTO: Right.

NOYES: Interest rates based on stronger economic growth. Suddenly, it seems like it's a bad thing and they want to, you know, point out this is biggest correction since he took office. I've heard that phrase over and over again in the last 72 hours.

CAVUTO: Oh, you’re in the right. I was switching into the exact same thing and ignoring the fact is enormously unprecedented. But you’re right. I understand that if it bleeds, it leads and that their red arrows is it’s better and gets more coverage. But I am just wondering how you suspect the media were cover all of this tonight if it finishes kind of as we're looking at it now.

NOYES: Oh, I think they will give it another round of coverage. They’ll — you know, I think some of the personal finance people will warn people not to overreact, which they should not do. But I think they will try to sort of put a dampen on the general economic good feeling that you've had with President Trump over the last couple of months.

CAVUTO: Alright, always good seeing you, Rich Noyes. Thank you very much. I apologize, it reminds me, this market leaving me speechless.
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nb ... ock-market

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
fatman

Post by fatman »

Fair point. We are hopefully still in the second longest bull market in history. It's been called the most hated bull market in history, for 7 years stocks have been climbing with little fanfare. Hell on uws many acted like we were in a bear market as recently as two years ago. I think it is partly because of the slow and steady gains and extremely low volatility.

Despite what partisan conspiracy theorists will tell you, the mainstream media primarily wants advertising $. Stories about the high volatility the past two days are much more newsworthy than 7 years of slow and steady gains with no volatility. I'll try to ease your paranoid mind and remind you that the vast majority of this bull market occurred under Obama, but the positive trends have continued under trump. The news cares about newsworthy stories and the slow and steady bull market on obama's watch was boring and rightfully way under reported. When the market ends the low volatility regime and crashed 1000+ points in two days, that gets the media's attention...regardless of the potus' political affiliation.

Of course that's just basic logic, I'm sure your wild conspiracy theories are totally legit.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

fatman wrote:Fair point. We are hopefully still in the second longest bull market in history. It's been called the most hated bull market in history, for 7 years stocks have been climbing with little fanfare. Hell on uws many acted like we were in a bear market as recently as two years ago. I think it is partly because of the slow and steady gains and extremely low volatility.

Despite what partisan conspiracy theorists will tell you, the mainstream media primarily wants advertising $. Stories about the high volatility the past two days are much more newsworthy than 7 years of slow and steady gains with no volatility. I'll try to ease your paranoid mind and remind you that the vast majority of this bull market occurred under Obama, but the positive trends have continued under trump. The news cares about newsworthy stories and the slow and steady bull market on obama's watch was boring and rightfully way under reported. When the market ends the low volatility regime and crashed 1000+ points in two days, that gets the media's attention...regardless of the potus' political affiliation.

Of course that's just basic logic, I'm sure your wild conspiracy theories are totally legit.
The "Obama Bull Market" started from the deepest trough in decades, so of course it was going to rise. It couldn't go down any further. But we all know that for a good part of his term is was a jobless recovery. Stocks did well climbing out of a hole that was realistically unwarranted by the metrics, but the average worker saw nothing until the last year or so of his term.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
fatman wrote:Fair point. We are hopefully still in the second longest bull market in history. It's been called the most hated bull market in history, for 7 years stocks have been climbing with little fanfare. Hell on uws many acted like we were in a bear market as recently as two years ago. I think it is partly because of the slow and steady gains and extremely low volatility.

The "Obama Bull Market" started from the deepest trough in decades, so of course it was going to rise. It couldn't go down any further. But we all know that for a good part of his term is was a jobless recovery. Stocks did well climbing out of a hole that was realistically unwarranted by the metrics, but the average worker saw nothing until the last year or so of his term.
That's what fatman likes to ignore. The Obama "recovery" was the worst recovery in US history. GDP was pathetic and as you said, wages were stagnant. The stock market went up because people had no where else to put their money. Rising interest rates are not necessarily a bad thing. I think we need more incentive to put money in savings accounts. Long term, the stock market is still the best place to put your money, but it should not be the only place.

And of course fatman glosses over the fact that media trumpeted how great the economy was under Obama, but quickly went silent as soon as it took off under Trump. And remember, this is the same media that told us that Trump would wreck the economy as soon as he was inaugurated.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Hmm, so the DOW closed up 567 points today. Anyone think this will be the "BIG STORY" on CNN?

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Hmm, so the DOW closed up 567 points today. Anyone think this will be the "BIG STORY" on CNN?
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Hmm, so the DOW closed up 567 points today. Anyone think this will be the "BIG STORY" on CNN?
It’s on the first page of CNN.com. Not mentioned on foxnews.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

133743Hokie wrote:

Yup. Very little wage growth, McJobs, low labor force participation rates and the Fed with record low interest rates and 3QE’s.........what’s not to love about the “new normal”.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

You can straighten your panties. Front page on cnn.com, and talking about it on TV. Why do you guys make up silly things all the time?

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/06/investi ... index.html
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:

How was it a jobless recovery?
In the end, jobs growth was 11M, and that includes job losses of 3.5M over the first 3.5 years of his term. Wages certainly stagnant - 2% before adjusting for inflation (inflation is going to hurt wage growth numbers fairly shortly), and GDP was not spectacular. But, there are more jobs than applicants right now.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
You can straighten your panties. Front page on cnn.com, and talking about it on TV. Why do you guys make up silly things all the time?

I'm talking about CNN TV. And have they spent a solid hour talking about how great it was (like they spent an hour yesterday talking about how terrible it was)? And did they show a clip of Republicans passing the new tax bill while showing a chyron of "DJIA finished up 567 points today" like they did yesterday except the chyron said "DJIA finished down 1167 points today".

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I'm talking about CNN TV. And have they spent a solid hour talking about how great it was (like they spent an hour yesterday talking about how terrible it was)? And did they show a clip of Republicans passing the new tax bill while showing a chyron of "DJIA finished up 567 points today" like they did yesterday except the chyron said "DJIA finished down 1167 points today".

Not sure. Only a kook watches that for a solid hour.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure. Only a kook watches that for a solid hour.

As I said in the OP, I had no choice because it was what was on at the gym yesterday.

fatman

Post by fatman »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

That's what fatman likes to ignore. The Obama "recovery" was the worst recovery in US history. GDP was pathetic and as you said, wages were stagnant. The stock market went up because people had no where else to put their money. Rising interest rates are not necessarily a bad thing. I think we need more incentive to put money in savings accounts. Long term, the stock market is still the best place to put your money, but it should not be the only place.

And of course fatman glosses over the fact that media trumpeted how great the economy was under Obama, but quickly went silent as soon as it took off under Trump. And remember, this is the same media that told us that Trump would wreck the economy as soon as he was inaugurated.
So increasing corporate earnings had nothing to do with the record bull stock market? Hint: that was the primary source for the massive bull market.

Job creation was excellent. Wage growth has been elusive and GDP growth has been low.

You seem to think there is a radical change in the economy between Obama and Trump, yet the stock market, job creation trends are straight lines. Do you have a single metric to prove that the media loved Obama's bull market? It is known on wall street as the most hated bull market in history, there was no volatility or fanfare...only a steady increase.

Just like the stock drops seen this week, the news latched on to stock drops during Obama's tenure.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

fatman wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

So increasing corporate earnings had nothing to do with the record bull stock market? Hint: that was the primary source for the massive bull market.

Job creation was excellent. Wage growth has been elusive and GDP growth has been low.

You seem to think there is a radical change in the economy between Obama and Trump, yet the stock market, job creation trends are straight lines. Do you have a single metric to prove that the media loved Obama's bull market? It is known on wall street as the most hated bull market in history, there was no volatility or fanfare...only a steady increase.

Just like the stock drops seen this week, the news latched on to stock drops during Obama's tenure.
Nope, it was the only security to place your money as bonds stunk and qe tore into money markets. It had the benefit of being the last man standing. Everyone is getting a 2-10% pay raise this year. That's the type of thing that gave us a 20% market increase last year.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

How was it a jobless recovery?
In the end, jobs growth was 11M, and that includes job losses of 3.5M over the first 3.5 years of his term. Wages certainly stagnant - 2% before adjusting for inflation (inflation is going to hurt wage growth numbers fairly shortly), and GDP was not spectacular. But, there are more jobs than applicants right now.
Yes, more jobs now. Like i said, it was jobless until the last years of his term
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

fatman wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Earnings rose faster than jobs. People were working longer hours, taking on more responsibility, and ultimately being very productive. The result was business making larger profits with fewer employees. THIS was the jobless recovery that was so well documented.