Jimmy Kimmel.......

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Jimmy Kimmel.......

Post by HokieHam »

Ruh Roh Raggy.......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Jimmy Kimmel.......

Post by awesome guy »

He's smaaaawt!
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re:

Post by Major Kong »

Jimmy Kimmel...is no longer f*cking Sarah Silverman. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

I’m hoping this comes back to bite his dumb ass. The left will always end up eating their own.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

When you can't be funny, just be a mean spirited dick, hate on Trump, and you'll have a loyal following.

============================================

Comedy Is Not Pretty, and Nowadays It Isn’t Even Funny
With sanctimony having replaced humor, the only thing left to laugh at is the farce of politics itself.
By Joseph Epstein
Feb. 6, 2018 7:31 p.m. ET

I found myself seated at my computer last month, watching on YouTube the comedian Bill Maher talk about Donald Trump’s marriage. If you don’t share Mr. Maher’s politics, you are likely to find him an odious, even loathsome character, for he doesn’t really exist outside politics. His standard tone is mockery, his modus operandi to lacerate his targets with obscenities, flash a nervous smile, and then bask in applause from his audience.

I was watching Mr. Maher on YouTube to see how far he would go on the subject of the Trump marriage. Would he attack the Trumps’ 11-year-old son, or perhaps attack the family for not having a dog? No surprise, he brought up the allegations of sexual harassment against Mr. Trump. Stormy Daniels was mentioned. His final punch line was that Melania Trump hadn’t accompanied her husband to Davos, Switzerland, because she had spent the day having to “lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown trophy wife.”

Donald Trump has been a great boon to late-night talk-show hosts. His baroque hairdo, his hyperbole, his general extravagance, his unabashed egotism—all these things and more are in the wheelhouse of today’s liberal comedians. Without him, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers would be practically out of business. Jon Stewart must wake each morning filled with regret for his wretched timing at retiring just as Mr. Trump came into office.

Yet to have taken what I think of as the Trumpian option in their comedy has rendered these comedians charmless while strikingly limiting their audiences to those who share their politics. I recently wrote a book on the subject of charm, in preparation for which I asked a great many people to name five persons in public life they thought charming. No one could do it. In a political time as divisive as ours, a public figure loses roughly half his following—and hence his charm—just as soon as he announces his politics. For an entertainer to do so is perhaps even more hazardous.

That the late-night talk-show hosts are ready to give up a large share of the audience to indulge their politics is something new in American comedy. Whatever Jack Benny, the Marx Brothers, Milton Berle, Joan Rivers or Johnny Carson might have thought about what was happening in Washington, they wisely kept it to themselves. When Charlie Chaplin was revealed as a Communist fellow-traveler in the late 1930s it hurt his reputation, though he never allowed his politics directly to influence his art. On the other side, when Bob Hope found himself, because of his support for the Vietnam War, aligned with Richard Nixon, many of his most steadfast fans deserted him. The lesson, one should have thought, is that comedy and politics don’t mix.

Unless, that is, the comedy is done with consummate subtlety. Mort Sahl, whom Steve Allen called “the only real political philosopher we have in modern comedy,” was one of the few with the talent to pull it off. I recall an instance when he appeared on the Johnny Carson show. Carson asked Mr. Sahl how he was. Not so good, the comedian answered. He had recently received a letter from the NAACP that admonished him, as a good liberal, for not having a black comedian in his act. Acknowledging his error, Mr. Sahl said he had hired a brilliant young black comic to work with him. Then he paused, looked down at his watch, and said, “He should have been here by now.” It took the audience fully 15 seconds to get the joke, when ripples, then roars of laughter followed.

Yet even Mr. Sahl lost ground when he became caught up, obsessed really, with conspiracy theories about the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and he spent years trying to regain, which he never quite did, his former cachet as the most brilliant of our comics. Clearly, Americans prefer that comedians keep their distance from political involvement.

Mr. Sahl, now in his 90s, still regularly appears before small audiences at a theater in California and occasionally sends out political tweets. Alas, none of this has the sharpness of Mort Sahl in his prime—but neither are his remarks about Donald Trump as coarse as the cheap-shot humor of our contemporary late-night hosts.

Enough people must share the views of these hosts to keep the careers of Maher, Colbert, Kimmel & Co. afloat, which is to say to keep their ratings high enough to be commercially viable. Yet these insufficiently funny comedians, with their crude political humor, do little more than add to the sad divisiveness that is rending the country. Something, surely, has been lost if one can no longer turn to comedy as a relief from the general woes of life and the greater farce that has for some years now been playing out in our everyday politics.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comedy-is- ... 1517963485

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I remember that bit. There were several that he did...i think it was part of the man show.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:I remember that bit. There were several that he did...i think it was part of the man show.
It was, and then he also did it on Crank Yankers in puppet form.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Kimmel and Meyers have just become too snarky, with little shirt eating grins on their faces whenever they make one of their cutesy quips about Trump. Some of it has even gone beyond that to just plain meanness. Oh well.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I used to be a yuge Maher fan. I probably got hbo for his show really(and Sopranos). Now it is like watching a frantic woman having a meltdown during her period. No thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I used to be a yuge Maher fan. I probably got hbo for his show really(and Sopranos). Now it is like watching a frantic woman having a meltdown during her period. No thanks.

Well put.
I used to love Kimmel & Corolla.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I used to be a yuge Maher fan. I probably got hbo for his show really(and Sopranos). Now it is like watching a frantic woman having a meltdown during her period. No thanks.

Well put.
I used to love Kimmel & Corolla.
Carolla is still great - he hasn't gone full libtard like Jimmy.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:When you can't be funny, just be a mean spirited dick, hate on Trump, and you'll have a loyal following.

============================================

Comedy Is Not Pretty, and Nowadays It Isn’t Even Funny
With sanctimony having replaced humor, the only thing left to laugh at is the farce of politics itself.
By Joseph Epstein
Feb. 6, 2018 7:31 p.m. ET

I found myself seated at my computer last month, watching on YouTube the comedian Bill Maher talk about Donald Trump’s marriage. If you don’t share Mr. Maher’s politics, you are likely to find him an odious, even loathsome character, for he doesn’t really exist outside politics. His standard tone is mockery, his modus operandi to lacerate his targets with obscenities, flash a nervous smile, and then bask in applause from his audience.

I was watching Mr. Maher on YouTube to see how far he would go on the subject of the Trump marriage. Would he attack the Trumps’ 11-year-old son, or perhaps attack the family for not having a dog? No surprise, he brought up the allegations of sexual harassment against Mr. Trump. Stormy Daniels was mentioned. His final punch line was that Melania Trump hadn’t accompanied her husband to Davos, Switzerland, because she had spent the day having to “lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown trophy wife.”

Donald Trump has been a great boon to late-night talk-show hosts. His baroque hairdo, his hyperbole, his general extravagance, his unabashed egotism—all these things and more are in the wheelhouse of today’s liberal comedians. Without him, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers would be practically out of business. Jon Stewart must wake each morning filled with regret for his wretched timing at retiring just as Mr. Trump came into office.

Yet to have taken what I think of as the Trumpian option in their comedy has rendered these comedians charmless while strikingly limiting their audiences to those who share their politics. I recently wrote a book on the subject of charm, in preparation for which I asked a great many people to name five persons in public life they thought charming. No one could do it. In a political time as divisive as ours, a public figure loses roughly half his following—and hence his charm—just as soon as he announces his politics. For an entertainer to do so is perhaps even more hazardous.

That the late-night talk-show hosts are ready to give up a large share of the audience to indulge their politics is something new in American comedy. Whatever Jack Benny, the Marx Brothers, Milton Berle, Joan Rivers or Johnny Carson might have thought about what was happening in Washington, they wisely kept it to themselves. When Charlie Chaplin was revealed as a Communist fellow-traveler in the late 1930s it hurt his reputation, though he never allowed his politics directly to influence his art. On the other side, when Bob Hope found himself, because of his support for the Vietnam War, aligned with Richard Nixon, many of his most steadfast fans deserted him. The lesson, one should have thought, is that comedy and politics don’t mix.

Unless, that is, the comedy is done with consummate subtlety. Mort Sahl, whom Steve Allen called “the only real political philosopher we have in modern comedy,” was one of the few with the talent to pull it off. I recall an instance when he appeared on the Johnny Carson show. Carson asked Mr. Sahl how he was. Not so good, the comedian answered. He had recently received a letter from the NAACP that admonished him, as a good liberal, for not having a black comedian in his act. Acknowledging his error, Mr. Sahl said he had hired a brilliant young black comic to work with him. Then he paused, looked down at his watch, and said, “He should have been here by now.” It took the audience fully 15 seconds to get the joke, when ripples, then roars of laughter followed.

Yet even Mr. Sahl lost ground when he became caught up, obsessed really, with conspiracy theories about the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and he spent years trying to regain, which he never quite did, his former cachet as the most brilliant of our comics. Clearly, Americans prefer that comedians keep their distance from political involvement.

Mr. Sahl, now in his 90s, still regularly appears before small audiences at a theater in California and occasionally sends out political tweets. Alas, none of this has the sharpness of Mort Sahl in his prime—but neither are his remarks about Donald Trump as coarse as the cheap-shot humor of our contemporary late-night hosts.

Enough people must share the views of these hosts to keep the careers of Maher, Colbert, Kimmel & Co. afloat, which is to say to keep their ratings high enough to be commercially viable. Yet these insufficiently funny comedians, with their crude political humor, do little more than add to the sad divisiveness that is rending the country. Something, surely, has been lost if one can no longer turn to comedy as a relief from the general woes of life and the greater farce that has for some years now been playing out in our everyday politics.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comedy-is- ... 1517963485
Yea, I can't watch any of the late night guys anymore, it is all politics all the time and it is continuous lies about what is actually occurring
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I watch Me-TV late night. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

miles

Post by miles »

Major Kong wrote:I watch Me-TV late night. :)
:) don't forget Decades and Grit