Hmm......

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Hmm......

Post by HokieHam »

If the trend continues..........
Attachments
E0DC8C67-6A13-4E59-8E09-428CE75029C1.jpeg
E0DC8C67-6A13-4E59-8E09-428CE75029C1.jpeg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Hmm......

Post by awesome guy »

There's going to be a massive 1 year pop from repatriation due to the lowered Corp tax followed by a continuous higher stream as it's no longer advantageous to keep foreign income offshore.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote:If the trend continues..........
January has run a surplus for 3 straight years now. Hasn't held the last 2 years.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote:
January has run a surplus for 3 straight years now. Hasn't held the last 2 years.
I’m betting it will......we’ll see.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:There's going to be a massive 1 year pop from repatriation due to the lowered Corp tax followed by a continuous higher stream as it's no longer advantageous to keep foreign income offshore.
Good move to go to a non-territorial system so there is no foreign taxable income*. Under the previous corporate tax, all foreign income was taxable in the U.S., with a credit for foreign taxes paid. The new system does not tax foreign income. Income will still be earned internationally, it just won't be taxed in the U.S.

GILTI is still a tax on foreign income, but based on a formula which won't result in taxable income for many companies.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:There's going to be a massive 1 year pop from repatriation due to the lowered Corp tax followed by a continuous higher stream as it's no longer advantageous to keep foreign income offshore.
Good move to go to a non-territorial system so there is no foreign taxable income*. Under the previous corporate tax, all foreign income was taxable in the U.S., with a credit for foreign taxes paid. The new system does not tax foreign income. Income will still be earned internationally, it just won't be taxed in the U.S.

GILTI is still a tax on foreign income, but based on a formula which won't result in taxable income for many companies.
https://www.withum.com/kc/what-the-fdii ... an-to-you/
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

That was my first thought.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Bad bet:
The United States plans to sell about $294 billion of debt, according to the Treasury Department. That's the highest for a week since the record set during the 2008 financial crisis.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/27/investi ... index.html
People who know, know.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

TheH2 wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Bad bet:
The United States plans to sell about $294 billion of debt, according to the Treasury Department. That's the highest for a week since the record set during the 2008 financial crisis.
Should have taken it! ;)

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Bad bet:
Thanks a lot Obama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Bad bet:
Thanks a lot Obama.

Blind spot

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Bad bet:
Thanks a lot Obama.

Blind spot
Absolutely.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Absolutely
Good to see you recognize your issue, former Republican.

ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

So as an aside to this, China is one of the USA's biggest debt holders. Let's say China abstains from purchasing more debt from the USA due to the "trade war." Does that ultimately drive the interest rates on those bonds up just to drum up more interest? China and Japan own 45% of the USA's outstanding debt. That's a lot.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
Absolutely
You being wrong about Trump clearly demonstrates my partisan blind spot. Got it.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:So as an aside to this, China is one of the USA's biggest debt holders. Let's say China abstains from purchasing more debt from the USA due to the "trade war." Does that ultimately drive the interest rates on those bonds up just to drum up more interest? China and Japan own 45% of the USA's outstanding debt. That's a lot.
China is not stupid, they rely on us to buy all that stuff so they cut their own throat if they try and punish us by not buying the debt. They also have to put the funds somewhere and no where is safer than the USA....China thinks that is important
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

ElbertoHokie wrote:So as an aside to this, China is one of the USA's biggest debt holders. Let's say China abstains from purchasing more debt from the USA due to the "trade war." Does that ultimately drive the interest rates on those bonds up just to drum up more interest? China and Japan own 45% of the USA's outstanding debt. That's a lot.
They can't, they love the dollar, just like everyone else. It's like getting a smoker to quit. The dollar is a lifeline for economies all around the world and they all seem to think there is no limit on how much to hold.

Hypothetically, if they could, there would be other buyers, with likely minimal effect on the interest rate. For example, over year or so ago they were sellers to try and prop up the yuan and the interest rate on US bonds didn't budge. However, if there wasn't enough demand, the value of the China's holdings would decrease because increasing interest rates reduces the price of bonds. So, it would hurt China too, although I don't think they care too much about the market value of the bonds.

Also, I believe 45% is their percentage of foreign country held debt, I think it is much lower when you take into account all holdings.
People who know, know.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Timing more than anything else i assume.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Foreign entities only hold about 30% of the total debt ($6T out of $21T), about the same as other USG entities (like social security) hold.

https://www.thebalance.com/who-owns-the ... bt-3306124
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
Absolutely
You being wrong about Trump clearly demonstrates my partisan blind spot. Got it.
This is about deficits and incoming tax receipts.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
Absolutely
Correct. The former is increasing faster than the latter.

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
Absolutely

Yup. We will see. Hoping the tax cuts have a net positive on tax receipts.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
Absolutely

Yup. We will see. Hoping the tax cuts have a net positive on tax receipts.
LOL. Hope away. I'm hoping I'll be playing in the NBA soon.
People who know, know.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Are you all of a sudden concerned about deficits and debt now?

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieHam wrote:
Are you all of a sudden concerned about deficits and debt now?
My point was that you're hoping when it is a 100% certainty that it won't. You're choosing to believe a lie.

For example, I'm 6'0" (5'11.75- but I round that up because that's what they did for life death insurance), not the fastest person on a basketball court, and in my "prime" would have made a great baseketball player
And I'm white :) http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24781

I can ignore the reality and hope to be in the NBA, but the reality is that's not happening. I couldn't even make a division II squad.
People who know, know.