Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Amazon is pushing Bluetooth speakers hard

Post by awesome guy »

Great deals, like 75% off.

I tell ya, they're killing traditional stores. There are millions of examples, like West Marine wants $300-500 for an 8ft bimini top. I got the same on Amazon for $150. Any thing you'd think of, got 2 pounds of aluminium powder. Hobby Lobby and Michaels don't even sell it online. They're becoming all of shopping.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Amazon is pushing Bluetooth speakers hard

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Great deals, like 75% off.

I tell ya, they're killing traditional stores. There are millions of examples, like West Marine wants $300-500 for an 8ft bimini top. I got the same on Amazon for $150. Any thing you'd think of, got 2 pounds of aluminium powder. Hobby Lobby and Michaels don't even sell it online. They're becoming all of shopping.
You making a bomb? ;)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:

You making a bomb? ;)
I bought it to not accidentally make a bomb as I have aluminum bar laying around that I could have ground. The bagged stuff is already oxided. But no, mixing into epoxy to diffuse heat in lure molds. These are my production molds that I'll inject soft plastic into. They're giant, made by molding a whole herring so they're 12 inches and will have a crap load of hot plastic and won't cure appropriately without pumping out the heat. It got 2 pounds of aluminium and enough epoxy to make a gallon of mold for $75. Alumilite makes the same type of thing with aluminum pre-mixed, but it's like $150 for a gallon so I have another Amazon win.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You making a bomb? ;)
I bought it to not accidentally make a bomb as I have aluminum bar laying around that I could have ground. The bagged stuff is already oxided. But no, mixing into epoxy to diffuse heat in lure molds. These are my production molds that I'll inject soft plastic into. They're giant, made by molding a whole herring so they're 12 inches and will have a crap load of hot plastic and won't cure appropriately without pumping out the heat. It got 2 pounds of aluminium and enough epoxy to make a gallon of mold for $75. Alumilite makes the same type of thing with aluminum pre-mixed, but it's like $150 for a gallon so I have another Amazon win.
Ahh, I see.

Fishing is serious business in the AG household!
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You making a bomb? ;)
I bought it to not accidentally make a bomb as I have aluminum bar laying around that I could have ground. The bagged stuff is already oxided. But no, mixing into epoxy to diffuse heat in lure molds. These are my production molds that I'll inject soft plastic into. They're giant, made by molding a whole herring so they're 12 inches and will have a crap load of hot plastic and won't cure appropriately without pumping out the heat. I got 2 pounds of aluminium and enough epoxy to make a gallon of mold for $75. Alumilite makes the same type of thing with aluminum pre-mixed, but it's like $150 for a gallon so I have another Amazon win.
Ahh, I see.

Fishing is serious business in the AG household!
Damn Skippy!
Last edited by awesome guy on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

A lot of the bluetooth speakers are junk. I have a Jabra Soulmate downsteairs that is fine for listening to Tech games and nice because it is battery-powered and I can take it with me to games, but isn't really decent quality for music.

But I also have a TDK A34 (which is not sold any more unfortunately) and that thing has sound that is indistinguishable from a $500+ Bowers & Wilkins speaker.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:A lot of the bluetooth speakers are junk. I have a Jabra Soulmate downsteairs that is fine for listening to Tech games and nice because it is battery-powered and I can take it with me to games, but isn't really decent quality for music.

But I also have a TDK A34 (which is not sold any more unfortunately) and that thing has sound that is indistinguishable from a $500+ Bowers & Wilkins speaker.
Yep. I have the Altec Lansing Omni and that's been pretty good. It replaced an Altec Lansing Lifejacket that rusted. I obviously use them on the kayak and boat as they're waterproof and float. They also have a nut on the bottom for attaching to photography tripods. That's also the same size as the YakAttack Panfish Portrait uses which is just a stand that attaches to YakAttack Side Trax and then a gopro or other camera. So I use that to hold the speaker on both boats. It's no problem on the kayak. On my boat, I put a piece of Trax on my console so it's held right by my face and I can hear it over the engine at full throttle. On5 problem is vibrations eventually break that nut off, but then I just JB Weld it back in place and it's good for another 6 months.

I think I'll get a Block Rocker and mount that on the bow of the boat. It's much loader, like concert loud. The Omni is perfect for a kayak.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Amazon is a horrible thing for our economy and our society. The responsible thing to do is to avoid them like the plague, and shop small and local.

But I order from them all the time. Decent golf balls for under $20, delivered the same day.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Do any of you think manufacturers send lower quality stuff to Walmart and Amazon, since they got beat down so bad on price?

I have played the drums for 40 years and I bought my fav brand of cymbal from amazon cause the price was the best. It developed a small crack after a year which never has happened to me before, and it’s crazy cause I only get to play once a week at most. It got me wondering if the cymbal company and other companies maybe sell them inferior stuff as a big middle finger. I have no idea, but could believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Do any of you think manufacturers send lower quality stuff to Walmart and Amazon, since they got beat down so bad on price?

I have played the drums for 40 years and I bought my fav brand of cymbal from amazon cause the price was the best. It developed a small crack after a year which never has happened to me before, and it’s crazy cause I only get to play once a week at most. It got me wondering if the cymbal company and other companies maybe sell them inferior stuff as a big middle finger. I have no idea, but could believe it.

Wal-Mart does for sure. They force suppliers to provide a cheap version. Same SKU, but inferior quality than from other vendors. Not sure if Amazon is getting the same skimpy version. Sometimes it seems that way, I got 100 heat shrink crimps for $8 and they weren't worth a crap. Other things seem of normal quality. I think Amazon is more of a marketplace model and so has a wider range of quality than Wal-Mart has. I got that prop I was pimping on Amazon, it was shipped and sourced from the manufacturer so Amazon was acting as a broker more than wholesaler. Wal-Mart has moved this way too for online sales.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Do any of you think manufacturers send lower quality stuff to Walmart and Amazon, since they got beat down so bad on price?

The 55" 1080 Samsung on sale at Walmart is not the same TV as the 55" 1080 Samsung not on sale at Best Buy. Actually, the deep discount one on sale at Best Buy is not the same as the one that wasn't on sale last week. Check the model numbers and SKU. Manufacturers make cheaper versions, with cheaper components, for them to put on sale.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:

The 55" 1080 Samsung on sale at Walmart is not the same TV as the 55" 1080 Samsung not on sale at Best Buy. Actually, the deep discount one on sale at Best Buy is not the same as the one that wasn't on sale last week. Check the model numbers and SKU. Manufacturers make cheaper versions, with cheaper components, for them to put on sale.

They usually use the same led panels, but the 'Walmart' version will have fewer features. For instance, Vizio's E series has fewer led backlight zones than better models such as the M or P series. Often, the different model numbers are requested by vendors to throw off price savvy shoppers who try to price match.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

Manufacturers make lower quality, lower functioning versions of their products for WM, Amazon, etc. Most quality manufacturers can't meet a price point that will sell in those markets without it.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

I think they get poorer quality stuff for sure, but it's more because Walmart (and Amazon too I assume) force them to lower price points. I know for a fact that Walmart gets lower quality firearms which look like models you can buy elsewhere, but have Walmart specific SKUs.

Also bought a pair of Allen Edmonds off Amazon which were definitely not up to snuff compared to the ones I bought in the retail store.