nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Politico: "What if you could get your own immigrant?"

Post by nolanvt »

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
133743Hokie

Re: Politico: "What if you could get your own immigrant?"

Post by 133743Hokie »

I don't have a problem with immigrants. I think everybody should own someone! It's important we step back 4 centuries in time and bring back indentured servants. What could go wrong. "Do what i say and all's well. You don't, then I'm shipping you home". What could go wrong?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

There are no financial benefits to legal migration. None. The benefits are in paying pennies on the dollar for foreign workers on temporary or H1B status or overseas. Take that away, and pay them regular US wages, and there is no benefit over them vs. an American citizen. Entire premise of article is flawed based on that fact.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

CFB Apologist wrote:There are no financial benefits to legal migration. None. The benefits are in paying pennies on the dollar for foreign workers on temporary or H1B status or overseas. Take that away, and pay them regular US wages, and there is no benefit over them vs. an American citizen. Entire premise of article is flawed based on that fact.
Pretty much. I was at a customer site where they didn't have any programmers. They wanted to hire some and so they would have me sit in on interviews since their people didn't have a clue what questions to ask or what the right answers were and needed to know whether someone was BSing. They had two fantastic applicants that I highly recommended they hire. One of them was even a Hokie. They didn't offer either of them the job. Had the company I worked for had been hiring, I would have taken their resumes back with me and hired them for us - they were very good. Then they interviewed a woman with a masters' degree and offered her the absurdly low salary of $30K. She was ticked and (quite rightly) stormed out. Then they brought in H1B programmers. The whole thing was a show. They had no intention of hiring anyone - they just wanted to bring in their Indians for pennies.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

BigDave wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:There are no financial benefits to legal migration. None. The benefits are in paying pennies on the dollar for foreign workers on temporary or H1B status or overseas. Take that away, and pay them regular US wages, and there is no benefit over them vs. an American citizen. Entire premise of article is flawed based on that fact.
Pretty much. I was at a customer site where they didn't have any programmers. They wanted to hire some and so they would have me sit in on interviews since their people didn't have a clue what questions to ask or what the right answers were and needed to know whether someone was BSing. They had two fantastic applicants that I highly recommended they hire. One of them was even a Hokie. They didn't offer either of them the job. Had the company I worked for had been hiring, I would have taken their resumes back with me and hired them for us - they were very good. Then they interviewed a woman with a masters' degree and offered her the absurdly low salary of $30K. She was ticked and (quite rightly) stormed out. Then they brought in H1B programmers. The whole thing was a show. They had no intention of hiring anyone - they just wanted to bring in their Indians for pennies.
Yep- it's how the beltway bandits in DC grew and survived- less so now as a lot of them have been brought by larger companies. Win government contract, pay Indian programmers 35K, make huge profits, invest in going after larger porposals, win a few 8A or hubzone, sell to Booz or CSC- it's all a game.