Today is "Australia has banned guns and don't have shootings

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
CFB Apologist

Today is "Australia has banned guns and don't have shootings

Post by CFB Apologist »

" day on social media, if you care to engage.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Today is "Australia has banned guns and don't have shoot

Post by cwtcr hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:" day on social media, if you care to engage.
so ban AR-15's except a handgun with a clip would have done the same damage. And he committed about 100 felonies and at least 17 capital punishment crimes....but if he was to break a gun law that would stop him!!
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

I would love to hear some real discussion on exactly how "sensible gun laws" would work in real life from a democrat. I really would. What exactly would they do? I know they want to label the NRA a terrorist org, and ban them from making campaign contributions for one. I have heard no new sales of guns, I have heard total gun bans, I have heard national registration, etc. I have yet to hear anything realistic though- and I'm not being facetious.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

CFB Apologist wrote:I would love to hear some real discussion on exactly how "sensible gun laws" would work in real life from a democrat. I really would. What exactly would they do? I know they want to label the NRA a terrorist org, and ban them from making campaign contributions for one. I have heard no new sales of guns, I have heard total gun bans, I have heard national registration, etc. I have yet to hear anything realistic though- and I'm not being facetious.
Who is going to volunteer to knock on doors to collect their guns? Yeah, right!
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Why is that model completely not applicable in a theoretical discussion?

Do we not have the most mass shootings? Do we not have the most guns and ease of access? To read the opinions on this board I'm to believe those two things are completely unrelated?
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

The school was a 'gun-free' zone. Our world is not a safe place. Gun control only takes guns away from the good guys. We will eventually have to do what Israel does.

One angle that isn't getting much press is that Cruz was expelled for fighting with his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. The shootings occured on Valentine's Day. Cruz himself told the FBI he wanted to be a school shooter and the FBI was alerted about him by others. Why didn't they investigate? Chasing fake Russian Collusion instead?

Don't say "if you see something, say something" if nobody acts on it. Nobody who knew Cruz was surprised it was him.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/201 ... itano.html
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:

Do we not have the most mass shootings? Do we not have the most guns and ease of access? To read the opinions on this board I'm to believe those two things are completely unrelated?
You do know that "mass shootings" are statistical noise in the discussion of homicide in the US, right? That would be a stupid basis for policy.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:

You do know that "mass shootings" are statistical noise in the discussion of homicide in the US, right? That would be a stupid basis for policy.
Yeah, fair enough. So suffice to say our freedom is worth this statistical noise in your opinion, correct?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Attachments
B7BA8568-582A-4BD9-8DBC-80552D5F84ED.jpeg
B7BA8568-582A-4BD9-8DBC-80552D5F84ED.jpeg (135.21 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieHam wrote:.
Yep. Perfect viewgraph.

I've said this so many times I sound like a broken record: if someone is really concerned with gun deaths, look at where the majority of them happen: among 18-35yo black males living in urban environments.

Ironically (or not), those are the last ones liberals want to talk about.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Yeah, mass shooting are certainly the emotional ones. The same question applies to all shootings, however, and I'm surprised I can't get an answer from anybody on this board.

When it comes to our disproportionate gun homicide rate relative to other countries, I think it's safe to say our 2nd amendment freedom is costly, correct?
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

And actually I think it's insane that over a half of 1% of America's deaths come at the hands of guns. Fair to say that's the leader in the clubhouse relative to other countries, correct? A good example of our freedom being costly with respect to human life.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

This is a great read.
Much of the political thinking about violence in the United States comes from unfavorable comparisons between the United States and a series of cherry-picked countries with lower murder rates and with fewer guns per capita. We’ve all seen it many times. The United States, with a murder rate of approximately 5 per 100,000 is compared to a variety of Western and Central European countries (also sometimes Japan) with murder rates often below 1 per 100,000. This is, in turn, supposed to fill Americans with a sense of shame and illustrate that the United States should be regarded as some sort of pariah nation because of its murder rate.

https://mises.org/wire/mistake-only-com ... -countries
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

BG Hokie wrote:Yeah, mass shooting are certainly the emotional ones. The same question applies to all shootings, however, and I'm surprised I can't get an answer from anybody on this board.

When it comes to our disproportionate gun homicide rate relative to other countries, I think it's safe to say our 2nd amendment freedom is costly, correct?
Coming from someone who’s been strangely emotional lately.

See the link in the Mises article I just posted about how the comparison to other countries is bunk.

Freedom isn’t free. There is absolutely no chance you're going to convince people to give up their guns when they observe on tv the obvious and complete inability to protect them from crazies.

You will never be more frightened than the day you find an armed predator breaking into your home and you have no way to protect yourself.

Stop preaching to us about stupid gun control dreams and put armed security where our kids are for instant response.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:Yeah, mass shooting are certainly the emotional ones. The same question applies to all shootings, however, and I'm surprised I can't get an answer from anybody on this board.

The homicide rate in the US is comparable to that of Europe and Sub-Saharan Africa among respective similar demographics.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

I’d say a vigorous defense of any and all gun rights is costly, not necessarily the 2nd amendment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

I’d say a vigorous defense of any and all gun rights is costly, not necessarily the 2nd amendment.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to argue.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

BG Hokie wrote:

You need to ask yourself- and the discussion needs to be centered on "what else - besides more gun freedom, sets the US apart from Australia and Scotland".. That is the real answer to explaining/solving these school shootings. And no, its not "you can buy guns here at Wal Mart".. that is not the correct answer or root cause.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

I haven't seen anyone sane- including the most right wing NRA nut- advocate for a total free for all on guns- nobody is arguing for that. Most NRA members support gun control and safety measures.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

It's our whole constitution, not just the 2nd amendment. It's the whole collection of freedoms that we have. We're unique.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:The school was a 'gun-free' zone. Our world is not a safe place. Gun control only takes guns away from the good guys. We will eventually have to do what Israel does.

One angle that isn't getting much press is that Cruz was expelled for fighting with his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. The shootings occured on Valentine's Day. Cruz himself told the FBI he wanted to be a school shooter and the FBI was alerted about him by others. Why didn't they investigate? Chasing fake Russian Collusion instead?

Don't say "if you see something, say something" if nobody acts on it. Nobody who knew Cruz was surprised it was him.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/201 ... itano.html
A guy in Mississippi saw his online post. The FBI met with the guy that reported it. As a nation of laws, the FBI has strict investigative guidelines that they have to follow on something like this, where a crime hasn't been committed. Unfortunately that kept them from being able to ascertain who made the post.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

The right wing has instilled the notion that AR-15s, bump stocks and other barbaric excrement is protected by the Second Amendment when they often are not.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

I haven't seen anyone sane- including the most right wing NRA nut- advocate for a total free for all on guns- nobody is arguing for that. Most NRA members support gun control and safety measures.
Not really. You guys are pretty out there from the mainstream.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:

It's our whole constitution, not just the 2nd amendment. It's the whole collection of freedoms that we have. We're unique.
Gun freedoms cost more lives than other freedoms.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

The right wing has instilled the notion that AR-15s, bump stocks and other barbaric excrement is protected by the Second Amendment when they often are not.

The Left Wing doesn't know what an AR15 is, does, or is used for. Doesn't stop them from using that lie/falsehood to scare people though. Their knowledge of guns is minuscule, but you listen to them.