Looks like Team USA is sucking at the Olympics this year

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Looks like Team USA is sucking at the Olympics this year

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

And I could not care less. Russia just kicked our ass in hockey, Lindsey (look at me) Vonn just whiped out, and Adam Rippon (the proud gay / Christian-hating) skater lost.

Most of these losers have not done much to help unite the country. Many of them spew SJW nonsense and insult our President. When they start acting like "Team USA" again and not "Team SJW" or "Team Democrat #Resistance" maybe I'll care again. Or maybe not.

==============================================

U.S. Falling Flat in Race for Olympic Medals
By Rachel Bachman
Updated Feb. 17, 2018 10:04 a.m. ET
234 COMMENTS

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea—Team USA brought the largest-ever squad to a Winter Olympics: 242 athletes decked out in stars and stripes and suede-fringe gloves, strutting into the Opening Ceremony.

So far that big, bold team is doing a faceplant.

Eight days into these Games the U.S. is fifth in the medal count, with nine over all. Team USA is tied, along with Austria and Japan, with the Olympic Athletes from Russia, a team stripped of its flag and devoid of many of its stars due to doping sanctions.

“I am, of course, sad to see the U.S. lagging behind the other powerhouse countries in the medal count,” said American David Wise, the defending gold medalist in ski halfpipe, which happens Thursday. “We seem to be the 4th- and 5th-place champions this year.”

Snow-sports powerhouse Norway leads with 22 medals, followed by a resurgent Germany with 17, Canada in third with 15 and the Netherlands in fourth with 13.

Snowboard halfpipe favorites Chloe Kim and Shaun White came through for the U.S. with spectacular gold-medal-winning performances. Alpine skier Mikaela Shiffrin won gold in the giant slalom, a strong U.S. figure-skating squad won bronze in the team event and Chris Mazdzer won a surprise silver in luge.

But other athletes have fallen flat. The U.S. speedskating team so far has reprised its disastrous zero-medals performance in Sochi. Heather Bergsma, the world record holder in the 1,500 meters, finished eighth in the race here and failed to medal in the 1,000.

Figure skater Nathan Chen, whose quad jumps made him a favorite for at least a bronze, crashed in his short program and needed a heroic comeback to finish fifth. Gold-medal favorite aerials skier Ashley Caldwell didn’t make the final. Shiffrin, the most dominant slalom skier in the world, vomited before that race and finished fourth.

Team USA now has as many Alpine skiing medals (one) as Liechtenstein, after Tina Weirather’s bronze Saturday in the Super G. American Lindsey Vonn, who’s won more World Cup races than any other woman in history, tied for sixth.

“It’s like David against Goliath, because we have 37,000 people in our country and you have 200 million,” Weirather said, undercounting the U.S. population by roughly 123 million. “So I’m for sure the underdog. I don’t have the pressure that the big nations have.”

Through eight days of the 2014 Sochi Games, the U.S. was tied with the Netherlands for second place with 14 medals. Host nation Russia, which was later implicated in a state-sponsored doping program at those Games, led with 15.

“We’re proud of Team USA’s accomplishments thus far and excited to see what happens in the second week as we continue to give athletes everything they need to be successful,” U.S. Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Jones said.

Norway has racked up more medals in Nordic skiing (10) than the U.S. has overall. But the Norwegians aren’t only dominating in cross-country skiing events, as they have for decades. They’ve also scooped up four medals in Alpine skiing and four in ski jumping, and produced a rare six-medal burst on Thursday.

“It seems like there is blowing an Olympic wind of happiness and gratitude over Norway,” said Halvor Lea, spokesman for Olympiatoppen, a sub-organization of the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports.

Norway’s goal entering the Games was 30 medals but, Lea cautioned, “we never evaluate or conclude until the fat lady starts to sing, and that will be on next Sunday.”

Germany leads the Pyeongchang gold-medal count with nine, already surpassing its final total in Sochi of eight. The early results seem to validate Germany’s two-year comprehensive review of its Olympic operations in the wake of a disappointing 19-medal performance in 2014.

“I hoped for one gold medal, and now I have three [medals],” German biathlete Laura Dahlmeier said of her two golds and a bronze. “It is always good to be better than expected.”

The main force keeping U.S. medal hopes afloat is the action sports of snowboard and freestyle skiing. Four of Team USA’s five gold medals have come from snowboarders, including Jamie Anderson’s and Red Gerard’s in women’s and men’s slopestyle.

Looking ahead, two of the three men who gave the U.S. a sweep of the ski slopestyle in 2014, Gus Kenworthy and Nick Goepper, are still medal threats in the event on Sunday. The U.S. has strong contenders in Thursday’s men’s ski halfpipe in defending champion Wise, Alex Ferreira and Torin Yater-Wallace.

Fred Traube, a music promoter in Watertown, Conn., best known for helping make the song “Who Let the Dogs Out” a staple at U.S. ballparks, watched the women’s Super G with a friend Saturday. Traube said the medal count matters because “It’s important to show United States exceptionalism.”

He acknowledged Norway’s winter-sports supremacy, but said it would get its comeuppance at the Summer Games.

“Who do they have to match up against Michael Phelps and Carmelo Anthony?”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-fallin ... 1518875406

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Looks like Team USA is sucking at the Olympics this year

Post by nolanvt »

You could not care less by starting a new thread on it. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

A lot of these countries, especially the Nordic ones, have one or two specialties that they dominate every year, whether world competitions or the Olympics. The US participates but has never had more than one occasional standout in some events.

Several of the US competitors mentioned in the article had some circumstances surrounding their events. Take Vonn. High winds made it so no one was able to have a practice run before the event. Vonn was the first competitor down the slope and had to wing it. The medalists all went much later and were able to watch the video feed of the other competitors runs before hey went, giving them a distinct advantage. In a run that lasted about 80 seconds she was out of the medals by about a second. Not bad for skiing "blind".

Chen did perform poorly in the first round, but in the subsequent free skate he smoked everyone, including the world champ and defending gold medalist. Just too much to make up.

It's competition. Sometimes you don't perform up to expectations.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:You could not care less by starting a new thread on it. [emoji106]

Ive watched exactly zero seconds of it. Only reason I posted about it is because it was on the front page of Drudge so I read a couple of articles about how the self entitled athletes were getting their butts kicked.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:You could not care less by starting a new thread on it. [emoji106]

Ive watched exactly zero seconds of it. Only reason I posted about it is because it was on the front page of Drudge so I read a couple of articles about how the self entitled athletes were getting their butts kicked.
Okay................

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Okay................

Drunk doing laundry for the bread winner
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Cpt Jagdish
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Based on the comments from the more out-spoken Olympians, it would be hard for you to argue that these guys are on board the Trump train.

Maybe if they wised up and started taking pride in this country like our President does, they wouldnt go out and get their asses stomped. Instead it seems like many of them are still mentally living in Obama's America and are more interested in pushing SJW garbage than making their country proud.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Based on the comments from the more out-spoken Olympians, it would be hard for you to argue that these guys are on board the Trump train.

Maybe if they wised up and started taking pride in this country like our President does, they wouldnt go out and get their asses stomped. Instead it seems like many of them are still mentally living in Obama's America and are more interested in pushing SJW garbage than making their country proud.
A normal person takes pride in their country by rooting for our athletes to dominate the Olympics. You don't sound very proud of our American athletes or our country.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

A normal person takes pride in their country by rooting for our athletes to dominate the Olympics. You don't sound very proud of our American athletes or our country.
I need a calendar to tell when dissent is patriotic or not.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Don’t kid yourself. These guys love Republicans, not America.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I need a calendar to tell when dissent is patriotic or not.
Not sure what that has to do with not rooting for our Olympic athletes, because you disagree with their POV.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

We can't all be American patriots who visit memorials to Trotsky for vacation and advocate for socialized medicine and against the Bill of Rights.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

We can't all be American patriots who visit memorials to Trotsky for vacation and advocate for socialized medicine and against the Bill of Rights.
I thought you guys like Russians.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

The 80’s called again.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

The 80’s called again.
It's a good thing IP and I are in armistice, or I would make a joke about IP's politics being aligned with his 80's perm. :mrgreen:

I'm going to let his swipe about me being unpatriotic slide, though, so I won't make that joke.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

We hate commies, aka liberal jackasses like yourself. Don't be confused cock socker.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

We hate commies, aka liberal jackasses like yourself. Don't be confused cock socker.
Hehe. Angry neck.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Hehe. Angry neck.

Jackass
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Hehe. Angry neck.

Jackass

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: A normal person takes pride in their country by rooting for our athletes to dominate the Olympics. You don't sound very proud of our American athletes or our country.

Hehe. Angry neck.

Jackass

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Don’t kid yourself. These guys love Republicans, not America.

Hehe. Angry neck.

Jackass

How many ho hos did you bring back?

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:We hate commies, aka liberal jackasses like yourself. Don't be confused cock socker.
Hehe. Angry neck.

Jackass

Your Mom and sister. They came actually.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Hehe. Angry neck.

Jackass

Your Mom and sister. They came actually.
Hehe. If that come from someone besides a ignorant neck from the sticks, that may upset me. Have another ho ho tubby