Good to see the kids stand up

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Good to see the kids stand up

Post by ip_law-hokie »

And fight for those of us who have grown cynical. I wish them the best.

Furious students who survived school shooting call for tougher gun laws - CNNhttps://apple.news/AyoJRT6ETTguREgskeX7RYQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Good to see the kids stand up

Post by HokieHam »

Emotional arguments. Typical
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:Emotional arguments. Typical
Having your school shot up can be tough. What’s great is that these kid’s opinions carries as much weight as yours.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Maybe they should only ask for thoughts and prayers. Those have done a great job of stopping these things so far.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

"If Coach Feis had had his firearm in school that day, I believe that he most likely could’ve stopped the threat,” Haab asserted.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/17/stude ... coach-gun/
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
Maybe they should only ask for thoughts and prayers. Those have done a great job of stopping these things so far.

Please elaborate on what gun law change you propose that would have prevented the school shooting?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Please elaborate on what gun law change you propose that would have prevented the school shooting?
I was already in favor of banning AR-15s, which is what the killer used in this attack and what has been used in other mass shootings - there’s a reason the AR-15 is popular with mass shooters. While I support the 2A, I believe there should be reasonable exceptions on what type of weapons that civilians should be allowed to own. Now, that won’t prevent every single shooting event (nobody is arguing that and to counter argue that is silly), but banning certain assault weapons will reduce the number of deaths IMO.

But maybe we should stick with thoughts and prayers, or maybe even award medals to children who go to school and survive. I dunno.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

Meditation/prayer is very effective for folks in grief, but don't let that stop you making an ignorant jackass of yourself.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I was already in favor of banning AR-15s, which is what the killer used in this attack and what has been used in other mass shootings - there’s a reason the AR-15 is popular with mass shooters. While I support the 2A, I believe there should be reasonable exceptions on what type of weapons that civilians should be allowed to own. Now, that won’t prevent every single shooting event (nobody is arguing that and to counter argue that is silly), but banning certain assault weapons will reduce the number of deaths IMO.

But maybe we should stick with thoughts and prayers, or maybe even award medals to children who go to school and survive. I dunno.

Do tell, what is it about the AR-15 that makes it so bad? If we just changed the name to "the gay defender," would it then be cool with you? Could we keep it legal? I'd like to hear you explain to us what makes you so scared of an AR-15.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Rifles of any kind were only used in 3.4% of firearm homicides (2.5% of all homicides) per the FBI Unified Crime Report (UCR). Continue with your emotional child argument, though.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... s/table-12
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Meditation/prayer is very effective for folks in grief, but don't let that stop you making an ignorant jackass of yourself.
Thoughts and prayers will stop those bullets next time. [emoji106]

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Do tell, what is it about the AR-15 that makes it so bad? If we just changed the name to "the gay defender," would it then be cool with you? Could we keep it legal? I'd like to hear you explain to us what makes you so scared of an AR-15.
I’d rather have fewer people die when someone decides to kill people.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Rifles of any kind were only used in 3.4% of firearm homicides (2.5% of all homicides) per the FBI Unified Crime Report (UCR). Continue with your emotional child argument, though.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... s/table-12
You know what’s better than those numbers? Reducing those numbers.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:

The next time you face a personal tragedy or hardship, please be sure to tell everyone you know to NOT send any thoughts or prayers. You apparently think its just a waste of time and effort, so I'm sure you'll be the one atheist in the fox hole.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Why are you not answering the question? Tell us what scares you about AR-15s.

You think that if AR-15's were banned, that the kid (or any other evil MFer) would just say "well damn, I was going to kill a bunch of people but since the AR-15 is now outlawed, I guess I'll just stay home?"

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I'll pray for your improved understanding of math and statistics so you don't make as big of a fool of yourself in the next thread. [emoji106]
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

The next time you face a personal tragedy or hardship, please be sure to tell everyone you know to NOT send any thoughts or prayers. You apparently think its just a waste of time and effort, so I'm sure you'll be the one atheist in the fox hole.
I no longer ask for thoughts and prayers for myself. I don’t think I would make it a point to tell people not to offer them as well - that would just be weird and dickhead-ish.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote: Maybe they should only ask for thoughts and prayers. Those have done a great job of stopping these things so far.

Why are you not answering the question? Tell us what scares you about AR-15s.

You think that if AR-15's were banned, that the kid (or any other evil MFer) would just say "well damn, I was going to kill a bunch of people but since the AR-15 is now outlawed, I guess I'll just stay home?"
I never argued all gun violence would stop. If that’s your counter, you are arguing against the idea of laws. Bank robbers still rob banks, so why not remove laws against it? See how silly that sounds?

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:
I never argued all gun violence would stop. If that’s your counter, you are arguing against the idea of laws. Bank robbers still rob banks, so why not remove laws against it? See how silly that sounds?

Then 1) Answer the question about what's so unique about the AR-15 that it should be banned and then 2) what is the reason for banning it if it won't do anything?

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I no longer ask for thoughts and prayers for myself. I don’t think I would make it a point to tell people not to offer them as well - that would just be weird and dickhead-ish.

So you were just being an ignorant dickhead earlier?
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote: ...that would just be weird and dickhead-ish.

Yeah, just like mocking people that send them to the victims of these tragedies.

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

And there you have it. Nolan wanting another slippery slope.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Having your school shot up can be tough. What’s great is that these kid’s opinions carries as much weight as yours.

Sure. Doesn’t mean their opinions preceded my constitutional rights.....

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

So you were just being an ignorant dickhead earlier?
I’m not sure how this makes sense. I didn’t reference any personal tragedies of mine. I was referring to those type of circumstances.. oh, excrement, it’s USN. He’s being purposefully being obtuse.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Ok. You've singled out the AR-15. It "looks scary", militaristic, and is semi-automatic. Fair enough. But a majority of handguns are semi-automatic as well. They have clips that can be easily carried and quickly changed out too. So why just AR-15s? What is the logic or rationale for just stopping there? And if you decide to extrapolate out to other similar weapons, where does it end, and are you now seriously infringing on the 2A?