Texas Sheriff appears to be on right track

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Attila T Hun

Texas Sheriff appears to be on right track

Post by Attila T Hun »

Just listen to the guy because he does have a very logical approach.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/19/texas ... the-floor/
cwtcr hokie

Re: Texas Sheriff appears to be on right track

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Attila T Hun wrote:Just listen to the guy because he does have a very logical approach.

funny how there have not been any attacks on those schools or the teachers mowing down students (because they are armed and will shoot anybody!)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

cwtcr hokie wrote:funny how there have not been any attacks on those schools or the teachers mowing down students (because they are armed and will shoot anybody!)
The students are much better behaved too. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:funny how there have not been any attacks on those schools or the teachers mowing down students (because they are armed and will shoot anybody!)
The students are much better behaved too. :mrgreen:
yea, i doubt they have alot of teachers assaulted
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Attila T Hun wrote:Just listen to the guy because he does have a very logical approach.

funny how there have not been any attacks on those schools or the teachers mowing down students (because they are armed and will shoot anybody!)
There haven't been any shootings in 99.9% of the school districts in the country. What's your point?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

There haven't been any shootings in 99.9% of the school districts in the country. What's your point?
The argument against actually being proactive and letting faculty carry is that it will be the wild west in schools....that argument appears not to hold water. But we have seen where schools have no defenses the carnage is high when an event occurs.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

That's been the case forever, even before banning guns at school. I like the idea of removing that ban not just from the common sense of having the ability to defend themselves, but by teaching more responsibility to the kids. Like we had by keeping hunting rifles locked up and secure. I think society is going the wrong direction by removing responsibility or pushing adulthood back. Should go the other way, push more responsibility sooner.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Most teachers I know... and I can only think of one exception (he's a superlative outdoorsman) have no business...none!...zero!...nada!...business being around a gun, much less having one in the school desk drawer.

I suggest more kids would be harmed by idiot teachers than by the one-in-a-hundred-million school assailants. Lots more.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:Most teachers I know... and I can only think of one exception (he's a superlative outdoorsman) have no business...none!...zero!...nada!...business being around a gun, much less having one in the school desk drawer.

I suggest more kids would be harmed by idiot teachers than by the one-in-a-hundred-million school assailants. Lots more.
I doubt the people you're thinking of would have a gun anyway. I don't interpret arming teachers as every teacher is armed. It's just an option. And really knowing that's on the table is likely enough deterrent to prevent a lot of shooter situations.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Most teachers I know... and I can only think of one exception (he's a superlative outdoorsman) have no business...none!...zero!...nada!...business being around a gun, much less having one in the school desk drawer.

I agree it is not for every teacher, see the texas program
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Forget most teachers, most people in general would have a very difficult time, no matter how much range training, using a hand gun to subdue an active shooter. The uncertainness of the situation, the panic, the emotions, etc. would make it hard for most to effectively do so. They may ultimately get a shot or two off, and that could be enough scare someone away, but calmness, accuracy, etc. are likely out the window.

Now there are a lot of internet warriors that will tell you that they would have no problem squaring up and putting 3 shots center mass just like that, save everyone. OK. But most have never been in a situation where they had to, so it remains to be seen. Most gun training experts will tell you the same.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

133743Hokie wrote:Forget most teachers, most people in general would have a very difficult time, no matter how much range training, using a hand gun to subdue an active shooter. The uncertainness of the situation, the panic, the emotions, etc. would make it hard for most to effectively do so. They may ultimately get a shot or two off, and that could be enough scare someone away, but calmness, accuracy, etc. are likely out the window.

Now there are a lot of internet warriors that will tell you that they would have no problem squaring up and putting 3 shots center mass just like that, save everyone. OK. But most have never been in a situation where they had to, so it remains to be seen. Most gun training experts will tell you the same.
My wife trained me. :D

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:

Forget most teachers, most people in general would have a very difficult time, no matter how much range training, using a hand gun to subdue an active shooter. The uncertainness of the situation, the panic, the emotions, etc. would make it hard for most to effectively do so. They may ultimately get a shot or two off, and that could be enough scare someone away, but calmness, accuracy, etc. are likely out the window.

Doesn't matter, shooting with a shaking hand has better odds than running and taking a bullet in the back.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:

Except criminals hate having opposition and very few of them will stick around for it, most run away with the littlest opposition. Yes I agree some are vicious and will proceed with their acts but there is a reason that most houses are robbed when nobody is home and in these mass shootings so far from what I see the second an armed response shows up the criminal either runs (fl dude) or offs themselves
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

<price_is_right_horn.wav>

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HooFighter wrote:Image

What does that have to do with the Texas sheriff?
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

Isn't this thread about arming teachers?

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

After watching the press conference...the teacher, social studies, locked himself in the classroom during 3rd period when he didn't have classes. He had taught his earlier classes w/o incident. One shot was fired.

The teacher (I don't think they identified him by name but I rekkin' it wwould be easy enuff to find out*) has had mental issues in the past and the HS is a gun free zone. Right now neither the school or the police know how he brought the gun in.

Last week there was a gun threat made at the HS but nothing came of it.

*Randal Davidson

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HooFighter wrote:Image

I know comprehending is hard for you but nobody EVER said EVERY teacher to be able to conceal carry, thus the training and the certifying.... so this teacher would not be one of the chosen...get it?