Party: After 10

Re: Rick Scott announces plan to introduce bill

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:That's BS. Saying an 18 year old isn't an adult is a whacko position.
The government has determined 18 is an adult, for some tings. To believe that an 18 year old is fully developed mentally and emotionally is whacko.
I said "developed enough". Your position is whacko land stuff, he'll, being literal, no one is fully developed till death as we're always developing.
You're coming unglued over this.
Oh, and your brain peaks and then starts declining over time. In fact, I expect yours is in deep dive these days based on your pistingvrecently.
I'm a couple steps ahead of you. I'm not unglued, I'm laughing at your retarded claims. IQ and mental capabilities diminish way late in life. Your arguing against science and reason, it's hilarious.
The prefrontal cortex is not fully developed at 18, doesn't fully develop until 25. Most studies agree that people are not fully developed by 18. But, of course, there is no way to say precisely when a person is "mature".
No kidding. Maybe, just maybe I said "developed enough" on purpose. IE they have enough sense to buy a gun. The deadliest shooting in history(excluding the government) was by a 64 year old. Very few mass shootings would fall into the expanded adulthood kookery anyway.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: The government has determined 18 is an adult, for some tings. To believe that an 18 year old is fully developed mentally and emotionally is whacko.
I said "developed enough". Your position is whacko land stuff, he'll, being literal, no one is fully developed till death as we're always developing.
You're coming unglued over this.
Oh, and your brain peaks and then starts declining over time. In fact, I expect yours is in deep dive these days based on your pistingvrecently.
I'm a couple steps ahead of you. I'm not unglued, I'm laughing at your retarded claims. IQ and mental capabilities diminish way late in life. Your arguing against science and reason, it's hilarious.
The prefrontal cortex is not fully developed at 18, doesn't fully develop until 25. Most studies agree that people are not fully developed by 18. But, of course, there is no way to say precisely when a person is "mature".
No kidding. Maybe, just maybe I said "developed enough" on purpose. IE they have enough sense to buy a gun. The deadliest shooting in history(excluding the government) was by a 64 year old. Very few mass shootings would fall into the expanded adulthood kookery anyway.

Yeh, I know. I just picked a post to respond to. I'm mostly fine with 18, but I'm pretty sure it was a number solely picked b/c that's when kids graduated HS, and the military needed bodies. If you're looking for an age of maturity, there isn't any science behind 18. It's more of a societal expectation.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:in Florida to require anyone purchasing a firearm to be 21 or older with the exception of military personnel or police.
Sorry, I don't get the age restrictions, I realize the little snowflakes can't handle life anymore but when you are 18 you are of legal age to be an adult....so tell the little effers to grow the hell up, curious tho how many have lots of dollars to go buy guns and ammo...hard to make money sleeping on your moms couch all day
The problem is that 18 shouldn't be the age of majority. The are too young, their brains are still forming and their hormones are raging. 21 should be the age of majority for everything that is "adult" restricted.
Depends on what your criteria is. Certainly there is no scientific basis for it. AFAIK, 18 was the age that was set for military enrollment, and then became the basis for voting, and then a bunch of other things. Maybe it was chosen b/c that's when most people graduated, and entered the workforce, or college, or whatever the next step is.
But, I still think it's a reasonable age, there are plenty of reasonable 18 year olds, it's probably more related to parenting, than age.
As for 21, how many of the mass shootings were people over 21? This idea is a prime example of tunnel vision on the latest crime.

Developmentally, they won't fully mature until about 25 years of age. OTOH, 18 yr olds helped fight and win WW1 and WW2. So it seems that mental age is somewhat dependent on the culture in which they mature. The problem we have now is our culture.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:in Florida to require anyone purchasing a firearm to be 21 or older with the exception of military personnel or police.
Sorry, I don't get the age restrictions, I realize the little snowflakes can't handle life anymore but when you are 18 you are of legal age to be an adult....so tell the little effers to grow the hell up, curious tho how many have lots of dollars to go buy guns and ammo...hard to make money sleeping on your moms couch all day
The problem is that 18 shouldn't be the age of majority. The are too young, their brains are still forming and their hormones are raging. 21 should be the age of majority for everything that is "adult" restricted.
Depends on what your criteria is. Certainly there is no scientific basis for it. AFAIK, 18 was the age that was set for military enrollment, and then became the basis for voting, and then a bunch of other things. Maybe it was chosen b/c that's when most people graduated, and entered the workforce, or college, or whatever the next step is.
But, I still think it's a reasonable age, there are plenty of reasonable 18 year olds, it's probably more related to parenting, than age.
As for 21, how many of the mass shootings were people over 21? This idea is a prime example of tunnel vision on the latest crime.

Developmentally, they won't fully mature until about 25 years of age. OTOH, 18 yr olds helped fight and win WW1 and WW2. So it seems that mental age is somewhat dependent on the culture in which they mature. The problem we have now is our culture.
I would certainly agree that 18 year olds today are culturally different than they were 40, 70, 100 years ago, generally leading to less maturity. Society as a whole is much different as well.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I think this whole idea of raising the legal age to purchase any gun from 18 to 21 has to be thought through. Its easy to make an irrational call for something like this in the wake of an emotional tragedy. But there should be some exceptions here:

1) If an 18-21 year old is in the military, then obviously they must be allow to use a gun. And since they would receive better gun training than most of the rest of the population, they would probably be more qualified to own a gun then someone that is over 21.

2) Should this rule only apply to 18-21 year olds that still live with their parents (i.e. are claimed as dependents on a tax return)? Why should a 20 year old living along and not depending on anyone for their income not be allowed to purchase a gun for home protection? That just seems to be arbitrary to me. Could we make exceptions for these people if they complete a training class?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:I think this whole idea of raising the legal age to purchase any gun from 18 to 21 has to be thought through. Its easy to make an irrational call for something like this in the wake of an emotional tragedy. But there should be some exceptions here:

1) If an 18-21 year old is in the military, then obviously they must be allow to use a gun. And since they would receive better gun training than most of the rest of the population, they would probably be more qualified to own a gun then someone that is over 21.

2) Should this rule only apply to 18-21 year olds that still live with their parents (i.e. are claimed as dependents on a tax return)? Why should a 20 year old living along and not depending on anyone for their income not be allowed to purchase a gun for home protection? That just seems to be arbitrary to me. Could we make exceptions for these people if they complete a training class?
18yo's are legally independent adults, they should have the same civil right to personal self defense as other adults.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:I think this whole idea of raising the legal age to purchase any gun from 18 to 21 has to be thought through. Its easy to make an irrational call for something like this in the wake of an emotional tragedy. But there should be some exceptions here:

18yo's are legally independent adults, they should have the same civil right to personal self defense as other adults.
But that last shooter, he was 19! We need a knee jerk and stupid law made around him being 19 and using an AR.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Oh I agree. I'm not in favor of it at all. Its just another chip from the block of our 2A rights. I'm just asking the questions to people who do think its a good idea. Of course I know I'm wasting my breathe (typing) because the people that like it would actually like to just get rid of the 2A all together.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Oh I agree. I'm not in favor of it at all. Its just another chip from the block of our 2A rights. I'm just asking the questions to people who do think its a good idea. Of course I know I'm wasting my breathe (typing) because the people that like it would actually like to just get rid of the 2A all together.
Yeah my post was more a piggyback on yours.
Jack Galt
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: none of the above

Post by Jack Galt »

This is a really good discussion. It definitely clarifies the folks on here who would be for repealing the 26th Ammendment.
"Russia? The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” - B. Obama

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Jack Galt wrote:This is a really good discussion. It definitely clarifies the folks on here who would be for repealing the 26th Ammendment.
The inconsistencies are what gets me. Voting, signing a lease, renting a car, joining the military/fighting wars, drinking alcohol, purchasing/owning firearms of various styles, health insurance, etc. So what is it? 18 or 21? There needs to be consistency across all of these -- one age. You're either an adult or you aren't.