We've had the AR 15 since the 60s

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

We've had the AR 15 since the 60s

Post by awesome guy »

Why are liberals all of a sudden afraid of it?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Re: We've had the AR 15 since the 60s

Post by 133743Hokie »

How many did the public have in 1960 vs. today?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:How many did the public have in 1960 vs. today?
Doubt that matters, it was more available.

You guys are going to turn it into the no. 1 killer as you claim it's a military weapon and other nonsense, effectively marketing it to shooters where as they'd likely continue the hand gun trend.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

You guys are going to turn it into the no. 1 killer as you claim it's a military weapon and other nonsense, effectively marketing it to shooters where as they'd likely continue the hand gun trend.
What's this "you guys" stuff? I asked a legit question of clarification on what you posted. Were there a thousand in circulation, ten thousand, vs. the millions today? That makes a difference wrt public recognition, knowledge, acceptance, etc.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

What's this "you guys" stuff? I asked a legit question of clarification on what you posted. Were there a thousand in circulation, ten thousand, vs. the millions today? That makes a difference wrt public recognition, knowledge, acceptance, etc.
Shooters are buying at stores, that's not a valid limiter
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

WTF are you even talking about now?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

WTF are you even talking about now?
Common sense, the killers go buy a gun at the gun store, not from secondary markets where public quantity matters.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Meh you can go to many sources and buy uppers and lowers...then build your own. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Sales increased in the early to mid 2000s when the AWB expired, and the signing of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. They spiked several times during the Obama years when people were told Obama was going to keep everyone from buying guns.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:Meh you can go to many sources and buy uppers and lowers...then build your own. :)
Yep. Could buy a complete one at the store for 60 years, a giant threat all of a sudden.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Sales increased in the early to mid 2000s when the AWB expired, and the signing of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. They spiked several times during the Obama years when people were told Obama was going to keep everyone from buying guns.
That was a useless Google search.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I know it's useless to you, you hate facts. :)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I like facts, not the top search result on Google.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure what you think that means, but what I wrote is fact.

Here's the data on AR15 sales.

And since you're general MO is to just dismiss facts you don't like, here's another fact, one you can get behind.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

And since you're general MO is to just dismiss facts you don't like, here's another fact, one you can get behind.

You're FOS, that's not my MO. Anyway, sales is a useless statistic as they're not buying used guns to go on killing sprees. That's the clear point you've missed in my retort. They do and can buy them at stores, like from 1960 on except AWB. Don't know why, guess they don't care about saving money since they're about to go on a suicide mission.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:That was a useless Google search.

You're FOS, that's not my MO. Anyway, sales is a useless statistic as they're not buying used guns to go on killing sprees. That's the clear point you've missed in my retort. They do and can buy them at stores, like from 1960 on except AWB. Don't know why, guess they don't care about saving money since they're about to go on a suicide mission.
Your retort makes no sense. No one is saying that killers are buying them used.
The point is that no one thought about AR15s until the early 2000s, because they weren't mainstream and well-known until then.
And they became well known b/c they were more of them being sold. That's the reason no one cared about them in the 60s - they weren't popular enough for anyone to care.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:That was a useless Google search.

The point is that no one thought about AR15s until the early 2000s, because they weren't mainstream and well-known until then.
And they became well known b/c they were more of them being sold. That's the reason no one cared about them in the 60s - they weren't popular enough for anyone to care.

My retort makes complete sense, unlike your laughable claim. People certainly knew about them and they've been popular for decades. You're just making up another ignorant anti-gun point. No one cared about them in the 60s because the nation still wasn't run by pussies at that point. Your giant spike is from the patient for the AR 15 expiring in the 90s and so now pretty much every manufacturer makes an "AR 15 style" weapon whereas only Colt made them before. They've become a commodity and still she shrinking usage in mass shootings so it's just silly to go after them.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:I like facts, not the top search result on Google.

My retort makes complete sense, unlike your laughable claim. People certainly knew about them and they've been popular for decades. You're just making up another ignorant anti-gun point. No one cared about them in the 60s because the nation still wasn't run by pussies at that point. Your giant spike is from the patient for the AR 15 expiring in the 90s and so now pretty much every manufacturer makes an "AR 15 style" weapon whereas only Colt made them before. They've become a commodity and still she shrinking usage in mass shootings so it's just silly to go after them.
LOL, there's your MO again. I didn't say anything anti-gun. I didn't say anything about going after them.
I'm not even sure what you're arguing about, other than that you feel a need to.
Here are some more facts. The patent expired in 1977. The first increase came around 2004, and the first real spike happened in 2009.
You can claim that it was "popular" in the 80s and 90s, when they sold 75k per year, but then you have to come up with a different term for when there were sales of 200k, 400k, 1M+ per year. You aren't going to argue that they aren't wildly more popular in America today than they were in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, are you???
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:I like facts, not the top search result on Google.

LOL, there's your MO again. I didn't say anything anti-gun. I didn't say anything about going after them.
I'm not even sure what you're arguing about, other than that you feel a need to.
Here are some more facts. The patent expired in 1977. The first increase came around 2004, and the first real spike happened in 2009.
You can claim that it was "popular" in the 80s and 90s, when they sold 75k per year, but then you have to come up with a different term for when there were sales of 200k, 400k, 1M+ per year. You aren't going to argue that they aren't wildly more popular in America today than they were in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, are you???
WUT? I'm adding MO as another term you don't understand as you throw it out there like a robot.

Ok, patent expired in 77, many models were banned from 94 to 2004 so there's the magical 04 spike. Hard core guys bought the components and made them at home. I have no idea why you're being so stupid about the availability of them. No one is saying they're not popular now, I said they were known and popular back then too. That's an argument against your other dumb point that you couldn't find them for previous decades when they were actually sold in most gun shops. So you're saying "oh no, no one could get one in the 60s, 70s, etc, they weren't popular". That argument is crap, they were still popular and available. That's not an argument to say they were more numerous then, it's the obvious point that someone wanting one could get one just as easily as they can today. Gun sales have doubled since 08 as many gun owners are afraid of gun bans and so stock up. 75k per year for ARs is still relatively proportional to all gun sales in those decades as 100k for ARs is now as the entire gun market has seen a spike.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

WUT? I'm adding MO as another term you don't understand as you throw it out there like a robot.

Ok, patent expired in 77, many models were banned from 94 to 2004 so there's the magical 04 spike. Hard core guys bought the components and made them at home. I have no idea why you're being so stupid about the availability of them. No one is saying they're not popular now, I said they were known and popular back then too. That's an argument against your other dumb point that you couldn't find them for previous decades when they were actually sold in most gun shops. So you're saying "oh no, no one could get one in the 60s, 70s, etc, they weren't popular". That argument is crap, they were still popular and available. That's not an argument to say they were more numerous then, it's the obvious point that someone wanting one could get one just as easily as they can today. Gun sales have doubled since 08 as many gun owners are afraid of gun bans and so stock up. 75k per year for ARs is still relatively proportional to all gun sales in those decades as 100k for ARs is now as the entire gun market has seen a spike.
That's a truly awesome rant. I didn't say they weren't available in the 60s and 70s, I said there are a lot more sold now then in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, and that the spike is why people care about them now. And thanks for repeating the reason for the '04 spike. I said that in my first post in this thread. Just like I brought up the spike from gun ban fear mongering.
And thanks for reinforcing my argument about the popularity. You're right, hard core guys made them, and bought them up until the early 2000s. From then on, lots of people, not just hard core gun lovers. bought them. You're the one that said they were more available in 1960, than today. That's just garbage.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
So what are the facts? I sked a question in response to your initial post as it piqued my curiosity as to whether the number of AR-15s has grown significantly since the 1960s, i.e. has it really gained popularity among gun owners or has it been more constant with population growth?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Ok, now that I've gone further in this thread I see the data. So it does appear they have grown significantly in popularity, particularly the last 15 years. And it sounds like there are several reasons, with the lifting of the AWB and the growing sense among some that they will be banned again being two big ones.

So, does this significant growth mean that the AR-15 is now more in the public eye than before and is why it has taken on such a prominent role in the overall gun debate?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

That's a truly awesome rant. I didn't say they weren't available in the 60s and 70s, I said there are a lot more sold now then in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, and that the spike is why people care about them now. And thanks for repeating the reason for the '04 spike. I said that in my first post in this thread. Just like I brought up the spike from gun ban fear mongering.
And thanks for reinforcing my argument about the popularity. You're right, hard core guys made them, and bought them up until the early 2000s. From then on, lots of people, not just hard core gun lovers. bought them. You're the one that said they were more available in 1960, than today. That's just garbage.
You have no idea what you're talking about and are spewing gibberish.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:Ok, now that I've gone further in this thread I see the data. So it does appear they have grown significantly in popularity, particularly the last 15 years. And it sounds like there are several reasons, with the lifting of the AWB and the growing sense among some that they will be banned again being two big ones.

So, does this significant growth mean that the AR-15 is now more in the public eye than before and is why it has taken on such a prominent role in the overall gun debate?
They have a similar market share as they always have. Not sure how that makes them more popular, especially when we have fewer gun owners now. Anyway, your whole argument is silly as they're rarely used in any murder, much less a mass shooting.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
So what are the facts? I sked a question in response to your initial post as it piqued my curiosity as to whether the number of AR-15s has grown significantly since the 1960s, i.e. has it really gained popularity among gun owners or has it been more constant with population growth?
Constant with population and gun sales.