Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Hokie5150

Sadly, there's truth in this...(please excuse the F-bomb but

Post by Hokie5150 »

it is oddly appropriate)

Hokey Pokey

Re: Sadly, there's truth in this...(please excuse the F-bomb

Post by Hokey Pokey »

That is because the walk out is just another form of skipping school to them. Simply lemmings to get out of class
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Not to mention the fact that gun-control won't be the only issue examined here. These kids will likely lose some things they value as well.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Another bitter old men thread. Good stuff.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote:Not to mention the fact that gun-control won't be the only issue examined here. These kids will likely lose some things they value as well.
Yeah. Once they get to college, they’ll lose or call for the end of free speech, dependent on the ideology.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Another bitter old men thread. Good stuff.
Not in the least. We were as bad, if not worse, about not standing up for the outcasts and weirdos. I know because I had one threaten to kill me, 2 class-mates and the guy's parents. He ended up being institutionalized during our senior year in High School for his threats and anger issues after he stole his father's gun and said he was going kill me, my two classmates and then come back and kill his parents. Did I pick on the kid? Yep...he was a regular little excrement and complete freak, but I could have and likely should have been nicer. One issue that you will love is that this individual is currently a police officer with the Newport News Police Dept.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie5150 wrote:
Not in the least. We were as bad, if not worse, about not standing up for the outcasts and weirdos. I know because I had one threaten to kill me, 2 class-mates and the guy's parents. He ended up being institutionalized during our senior year in High School for his threats and anger issues after he stole his father's gun and said he was going kill me, my two classmates and then come back and kill his parents. Did I pick on the kid? Yep...he was a regular little excrement and complete freak, but I could have and likely should have been nicer. One issue that you will love is that this individual is currently a police officer with the Newport News Police Dept.
I'm confused. You were the guy that people should have stood up to, and didn't, and you're criticizing today's kids for not standing up to people like you?? Maybe I read your posts wrong.

I will also say that I think it's less pervasive now than in the past. There's certainly a MUCH greater emphasis on stopping that kind of behavior. They talk about bullying, and how to stop it, on a regular basis at my son's school.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
I'm confused. You were the guy that people should have stood up to, and didn't, and you're criticizing today's kids for not standing up to people like you?? Maybe I read your posts wrong.

I will also say that I think it's less pervasive now than in the past. There's certainly a MUCH greater emphasis on stopping that kind of behavior. They talk about bullying, and how to stop it, on a regular basis at my son's school.
No...I should have stood up and tried to be nicer to the guy. He quite obviously was mentally disturbed. Did I try to help him? Nope. I should have. My point in posting the meme is largely that people like the killer aren't created over night. They develop over time. Who knows when a single person reaching out could change the course of that person's life for the better? Kids are cruel. And if you think bullying doesn't go on today and isn't as pervasive, you're being naive...it just takes place in a different forum (literally). The cyber bullying thing (while I don't understand it...turn off the damned computer!) is very real. I'm friends with two couples who have both lost grandchildren to suicide (at ages 12 and 13) as a result of cyber bullying. It's crazy (in my opinion), but it's very real.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

true, the physical part.... of course online it is rampant and ratcheted up 100 notches then when I was in my teens
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

maybe teenagers are not the best people to base our policies on, huh?
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Always true. Extreme emotions are a particularly good basis upon which to build policies either...but that's not really the point here. The point here is what WE can do to help prevent these kind of events in the future rather than was GOVERNMENT can do.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Always true. Extreme emotions are a particularly good basis upon which to build policies either...but that's not really the point here. The point here is what WE can do to help prevent these kind of events in the future rather than was GOVERNMENT can do.
Congress will ban AR-15's and the next guy will use a handgun with a larger clip or he/she will be an NRA member and just blow people up or run them over. I would love to stop crazy, in the FL case the fbi and local police were warned multiple times, that was useless. So I have no idea how we stop crazy, somebody that has no respect for human life cannot be reached in my opinion.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie5150 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

No...I should have stood up and tried to be nicer to the guy. He quite obviously was mentally disturbed. Did I try to help him? Nope. I should have. My point in posting the meme is largely that people like the killer aren't created over night. They develop over time. Who knows when a single person reaching out could change the course of that person's life for the better? Kids are cruel. And if you think bullying doesn't go on today and isn't as pervasive, you're being naive...it just takes place in a different forum (literally). The cyber bullying thing (while I don't understand it...turn off the damned computer!) is very real. I'm friends with two couples who have both lost grandchildren to suicide (at ages 12 and 13) as a result of cyber bullying. It's crazy (in my opinion), but it's very real.
I can only give you my personal experience as to the actual pervasiveness of it. I agree that cyberbullying is a big deal, but that's different than the bullying we experienced when we were younger, and probably a worse thing than getting picked on, because you can be cyberbullied 24 hours a day, and often by complete strangers.
The discussion on cyberbullying is a whole different topic IMO.

As for prevention of shootings like these, I don't think anyone has a real answer. If we rely on the govt., well, the govt. often sucks at doing anything right. If we rely on "the people", history will tell us that many ppl don't recognize, either purposefully or not, the signs of someone who is a danger. People want to think the best of their close ones, and will protect them.