Huge momentum to "pay" college athletes now. Where

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BG Hokie

Re: Huge momentum to "pay" college athletes now. Where

Post by BG Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:Do you stand?

1. They are already taking money under the table, so screw it?
2. The NCAA gets "gazillions" from CBS and the players don't get any of that pie, so they are entitled to it?
3. Only old white guys think college athletes are "amateurs", so just pay them?
4. A full ride scholarship is not that much money anyway?
5. If Shelor Motors will pay Josh Jackson a million dollars to sign autographs on a saturday, what's wrong with that?

Where in the college athletes deserve millions of dollars debate and scholarships aren't enough spectrum do you fall?
I'm a #5 kind of guy. I certainly don't think the school should have to pay players (Title IX is such a huge road block to that end). But endorsements, making money off of autographs, their jersey sales, etc. should be fair game. Sure, the current programs with a bag man culture will abuse that, no doubt but see #1 and this suddenly helps to bring an underground black market above board with contracts and tax forms and revenue? Sounds like a win, win to me.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Huge momentum to

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Can’t pay revenue athletes without paying the non-revenue athletes. I’m perfectly fine with some variation of the Olympic model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?
They are not paid by the IOC. I believe they’re getting paid for endorsements and things of that sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, great team chemistry, the one guy is driving new cars and spending money hand over fist... the OL guy is eating ramen noodles and can't afford a movie...that would work out real well.
Why do you hate capitalism?
What does forcing athletes to play in the NCAA have to do with capitalism?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:

2. The NCAA gets "gazillions" from CBS and the players don't get any of that pie, so they are entitled to it?
5. If Shelor Motors will pay Josh Jackson a million dollars to sign autographs on a saturday, what's wrong with that?

Where in the college athletes deserve millions of dollars debate and scholarships aren't enough spectrum do you fall?
I'm a #5 kind of guy. I certainly don't think the school should have to pay players (Title IX is such a huge road block to that end). But endorsements, making money off of autographs, their jersey sales, etc. should be fair game. Sure, the current programs with a bag man culture will abuse that, no doubt but see #1 and this suddenly helps to bring an underground black market above board with contracts and tax forms and revenue? Sounds like a win, win to me.
Abuse it? It's an open invitation. Don't pretend this won't result in the football teams getting the best team money can buy.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:

Abuse it? It's an open invitation. Don't pretend this won't result in the football teams getting the best team money can buy.
How does that differ from the current situation?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:

How does that differ from the current situation?
Because it makes it perfectly kosher to launder booster $$ to players via cheesy autographs & endorsements? Seems pretty obvious to me.

If you really want to turn the NCAA into a smaller and shittier version of the NFL while destroying all the sports that college football subsidizes, then let's please just stop pretending these kids are students and paying for their tuition, room & board....