Huge momentum to "pay" college athletes now. Where

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
CFB Apologist

Huge momentum to "pay" college athletes now. Where

Post by CFB Apologist »

Do you stand?

1. They are already taking money under the table, so screw it?
2. The NCAA gets "gazillions" from CBS and the players don't get any of that pie, so they are entitled to it?
3. Only old white guys think college athletes are "amateurs", so just pay them?
4. A full ride scholarship is not that much money anyway?
5. If Shelor Motors will pay Josh Jackson a million dollars to sign autographs on a saturday, what's wrong with that?

Where in the college athletes deserve millions of dollars debate and scholarships aren't enough spectrum do you fall?
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Huge momentum to "pay" college athletes now. Where

Post by ip_law-hokie »

#1 and #2 are the closest.

There is so much money on the table, I think paying the kids a relatively modest stipend would actually clean the sport up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Nope. It will end up ruining college sports.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
CFB Apologist

Re: Huge momentum to

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:#1 and #2 are the closest.

There is so much money on the table, I think paying the kids a relatively modest stipend would actually clean the sport up.

Or you tell the 15 or so schools that are scum and pay these kids cash from boosters to clean up and try to compete like everyone else. I think Tom Izzo could wins some games with real college kids. This is changing the rule for 319 schools, when really only a small percentage cheat- because really a small percentage of these 18 year old basketball "stars" have "market value" anyway.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:

Or you tell the 15 or so schools that are scum and pay these kids cash from boosters to clean up and try to compete like everyone else. I think Tom Izzo could wins some games with real college kids. This is changing the rule for 319 schools, when really only a small percentage cheat- because really a small percentage of these 18 year old basketball "stars" have "market value" anyway.
I have no idea if and how many schools are paying kids. As you know, the agents are a documented problem.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

I have no idea if and how many schools are paying kids. As you know, the agents are a documented problem.

I think we can come to a reasonable guess/hypothesis... If VT (a top 25 football and top 50ish hoops) program is paying Ahmed Hill and DeShawn McClease, we need to get our money back. I think it is a really, really safe bet to say this is limited to the top 15 schools give or take.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

I think we can come to a reasonable guess/hypothesis... If VT (a top 25 football and top 50ish hoops) program is paying Ahmed Hill and DeShawn McClease, we need to get our money back. I think it is a really, really safe bet to say this is limited to the top 15 schools give or take.
I would be shocked if there weren't some players at VT (football or basketball) that weren't paid. As long as there is a large incentive to get better, no matter what the value of the recruit is, I'm sure there are financial incentives. A coach gets an extra 100k (or 500k) for winning a conference, or to make the tournament. Or, just the opportunity to field a better team which gets you your next coaching gig.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:Do you stand?

1. They are already taking money under the table, so screw it?
2. The NCAA gets "gazillions" from CBS and the players don't get any of that pie, so they are entitled to it?
3. Only old white guys think college athletes are "amateurs", so just pay them?
4. A full ride scholarship is not that much money anyway?
5. If Shelor Motors will pay Josh Jackson a million dollars to sign autographs on a saturday, what's wrong with that?

Where in the college athletes deserve millions of dollars debate and scholarships aren't enough spectrum do you fall?
It is a false argument. There is no way most schools can pay all of its athletes, and if you pay just one athlete a salary then every athlete at that school will have to be paid, title IX and the lawyers will make sure of that. College athletics will cease to exist.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Probably.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Probably.

The solution is simple. Allow entry into the NFL and NBA- the only two sports where college players have any "market value"- at age 16. Seriously. Etch the rule in stone. If you are 16 and want "yours", find a pro team to pay you. Done. If not, you must abide by NCAA amateurism rules if you sign a college letter of intent. Period. Done
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Probably.

The solution is simple. Allow entry into the NFL and NBA- the only two sports where college players have any "market value"- at age 16. Seriously. Etch the rule in stone. If you are 16 and want "yours", find a pro team to pay you. Done. If not, you must abide by NCAA amateurism rules if you sign a college letter of intent. Period. Done
Others will know more than me about this, but my understanding is that the solution you are proposing is largely out of the NCAA's control. The NBA and NFL would need to make these changes.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Can’t pay revenue athletes without paying the non-revenue athletes. I’m perfectly fine with some variation of the Olympic model.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:Can’t pay revenue athletes without paying the non-revenue athletes. I’m perfectly fine with some variation of the Olympic model.

What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Can’t pay revenue athletes without paying the non-revenue athletes. I’m perfectly fine with some variation of the Olympic model.

What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?
They are not paid by the IOC. I believe they’re getting paid for endorsements and things of that sort.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

They are not paid by the IOC. I believe they’re getting paid for endorsements and things of that sort.

So you would propose the "can sign autographs or do radio shows" for money, while still accepting a scholarship? type scenario? maybe, but independent shoe contracts with Nike is where I would draw the line- if not before that.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

yes, great team chemistry, the one guy is driving new cars and spending money hand over fist... the OL guy is eating ramen noodles and can't afford a movie...that would work out real well.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Man how things have changed since my days in the 70's. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

yes, great team chemistry, the one guy is driving new cars and spending money hand over fist... the OL guy is eating ramen noodles and can't afford a movie...that would work out real well.
Higher performers make more than lower performers. Film at 11.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

6. A full tuition, books, room and board scholarship, plus "cost of attendance" money, plus training table, plus professional coaching, plus fitness center, plus professional fitness and nutrition staff, plus exposure to professional scouts is plenty of compensation and nothing else need be done.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Probably.

Others will know more than me about this, but my understanding is that the solution you are proposing is largely out of the NCAA's control. The NBA and NFL would need to make these changes.
Correct. Their unions are pushing back on 18 year olds gong pro right out of high school. They like the minor league feeder system that colleges provide for them. There is no incentive for them to change.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:6. A full tuition, books, room and board scholarship, plus "cost of attendance" money, plus training table, plus professional coaching, plus fitness center, plus professional fitness and nutrition staff, plus exposure to professional scouts is plenty of compensation and nothing else need be done.
Agree, but that doesn't address the whole "schools make millions, these kids don't get a piece of the pie and it goes on under the table anyway" crowd.. as if every 18 year old that throws a ball is entitled to millions before their pro payday.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

At a job yes, college sports are not jobs though
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

At a job yes, college sports are not jobs though
How so?

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:6. A full tuition, books, room and board scholarship, plus "cost of attendance" money, plus training table, plus professional coaching, plus fitness center, plus professional fitness and nutrition staff, plus exposure to professional scouts is plenty of compensation and nothing else need be done.

Yep. I wonder, will they be permitted to go on strike?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
Agree, but that doesn't address the whole "schools make millions, these kids don't get a piece of the pie and it goes on under the table anyway" crowd.. as if every 18 year old that throws a ball is entitled to millions before their pro payday.
I address it this way. The school is the company. The AD is the president and the head coaches are VPs. They run the ship. They drive the business. They make the hard decisions. They make the big money when things go well and they get fired, often with golden parachutes, when they don't succeed. The players are the rank and file staff. They are compensated well for what they do (see my post above for all that they get), but they are just rotating parts. They are all replaceable. They are a commodity. They're just employees. Now, when they perform well they get the benefit of starting, of regional or national recognition, and the chance to try and go professional.