Huge momentum to "pay" college athletes now. Where

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Re: Huge momentum to "pay" college athletes now. Where

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:6. A full tuition, books, room and board scholarship, plus "cost of attendance" money, plus training table, plus professional coaching, plus fitness center, plus professional fitness and nutrition staff, plus exposure to professional scouts is plenty of compensation and nothing else need be done.

Yep. I wonder, will they be permitted to go on strike?
One, they aren't unionized. Two, if they do determine that they aren't going to play (make a stand) then just revoke their scholarships and replace them.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Huge momentum to

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?[/quote]

They are not paid by the IOC. I believe they’re getting paid for endorsements and things of that sort.

yes, great team chemistry, the one guy is driving new cars and spending money hand over fist... the OL guy is eating ramen noodles and can't afford a movie...that would work out real well.[/quote]

Higher performers make more than lower performers. Film at 11.

At a job yes, college sports are not jobs though[/quote]

How so?

college sports are part of your college education for those that CHOOSE to play them. This is a dumb argument though, as the problems are huge if you try to pay them as employees from many aspects, the biggest one being that college sports would cease to exist thus cutting off college to the athletes that use the scholarship to get a degree that could not afford to do it without the scholarship. Again, less than 1% of football players and prob less than that basketball players ever make a dime after college in the sport. Never mind that EVERY athlete would have to be paid which brings on the huge issue with what are you paying them, does equality ring a bell, it should these days
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?[/quote]

They are not paid by the IOC. I believe they’re getting paid for endorsements and things of that sort.

yes, great team chemistry, the one guy is driving new cars and spending money hand over fist... the OL guy is eating ramen noodles and can't afford a movie...that would work out real well.[/quote]

How so?

college sports are part of your college education for those that CHOOSE to play them.

*that's only true, if it is true, because that's the way it's been done in the past. this is not an argument for doing it this way in the future.*

This is a dumb argument though, as the problems are huge if you try to pay them as employees from many aspects, the biggest one being that college sports would cease to exist

*that's a conclusion*

thus cutting off college to the athletes that use the scholarship to get a degree that could not afford to do it without the scholarship.

*why?*

Again, less than 1% of football players and prob less than that basketball players ever make a dime after college in the sport.

*This doesn't dictate them not being paid for the money they are bringing in the door now. It is an argument for them being compensated now.*

Never mind that EVERY athlete would have to be paid which brings on the huge issue with what are you paying them, does equality ring a bell, it should these days[/quote]

*I don't think that's true.*

Please see my comments in-line above.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?

How so?

college sports are part of your college education for those that CHOOSE to play them.

*that's only true, if it is true, because that's the way it's been done in the past. this is not an argument for doing it this way in the future.*

This is a dumb argument though, as the problems are huge if you try to pay them as employees from many aspects, the biggest one being that college sports would cease to exist

*that's a conclusion*

thus cutting off college to the athletes that use the scholarship to get a degree that could not afford to do it without the scholarship.

*why?*

Again, less than 1% of football players and prob less than that basketball players ever make a dime after college in the sport.

*This doesn't dictate them not being paid for the money they are bringing in the door now. It is an argument for them being compensated now.*

Never mind that EVERY athlete would have to be paid which brings on the huge issue with what are you paying them, does equality ring a bell, it should these days[/quote]

Please see my comments in-line above.[/quote]

ok, we will suspend reality for the argument, there are no lawyers, no title IX. No national discussion about equal pay, for VT the employer there are no employee benefits, no Workmens comp insurance, .........etc. But lets suspend reality
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How so?

*that's a conclusion*

*why?*

ok, we will suspend reality for the argument, there are no lawyers, no title IX. No national discussion about equal pay, for VT the employer there are no employee benefits, no Workmens comp insurance, .........etc. But lets suspend reality[/quote]

No need to suspend reality.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

yes, great team chemistry, the one guy is driving new cars and spending money hand over fist... the OL guy is eating ramen noodles and can't afford a movie...that would work out real well.

How so?

*that's a conclusion*

*why?*

ok, we will suspend reality for the argument, there are no lawyers, no title IX. No national discussion about equal pay, for VT the employer there are no employee benefits, no Workmens comp insurance, .........etc. But lets suspend reality[/quote]

I agree because if you live in the real world your responses would make zero sense... lets stay in fantasy land, you do well there
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

yes, great team chemistry, the one guy is driving new cars and spending money hand over fist... the OL guy is eating ramen noodles and can't afford a movie...that would work out real well.

How so?

*that's a conclusion*

*why?*

I agree because if you live in the real world your responses would make zero sense... lets stay in fantasy land, you do well there[/quote]

OK. Want to make a wager?

I say men’s basketball players and football players will be playing for their school and legally receiving a salary, stipend or some other monetary form of consideration for their athletic services within 10 years from today. 100 donation to charity of winner’s choice.

Deal?

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

At a job yes, college sports are not jobs though
How so?

*that's a conclusion*

*why?*

I agree because if you live in the real world your responses would make zero sense... lets stay in fantasy land, you do well there[/quote]

I say men’s basketball players and football players will be playing for their school and legally receiving a salary, stipend or some other monetary form of consideration for their athletic services within 10 years from today. 100 donation to charity of winner’s choice.

Deal?

so all the lawyers in the country are dead, kewl
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?

At a job yes, college sports are not jobs though
How so?

*that's a conclusion*

*why?*

Deal?

so all the lawyers in the country are dead, kewl[/quote]

Deal?

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

How so?

*that's a conclusion*

*why?*

Deal?

Deal?

If we kill all the lawyers I am 100% on board!
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:What do you mean by that? Olympians are 100% outright pros now- have been for years. LeBron James played in the olympics. Not sure what you mean?

How so?

*that's a conclusion*

*why?*

Deal?

Deal?

If we kill all the lawyers I am 100% on board![/quote]

No deal. Got it.

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

CFB Apologist wrote:Do you stand?

1. They are already taking money under the table, so screw it?
2. The NCAA gets "gazillions" from CBS and the players don't get any of that pie, so they are entitled to it?
3. Only old white guys think college athletes are "amateurs", so just pay them?
4. A full ride scholarship is not that much money anyway?
5. If Shelor Motors will pay Josh Jackson a million dollars to sign autographs on a saturday, what's wrong with that?

Where in the college athletes deserve millions of dollars debate and scholarships aren't enough spectrum do you fall?
They are already being compensated. Tuition covered. Room and board covered. Tutoring covered. Medical care covered. Free access to state of the art training and development staff and equipment just to mention a few.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:

2. The NCAA gets "gazillions" from CBS and the players don't get any of that pie, so they are entitled to it?
5. If Shelor Motors will pay Josh Jackson a million dollars to sign autographs on a saturday, what's wrong with that?

Where in the college athletes deserve millions of dollars debate and scholarships aren't enough spectrum do you fall?
They are already being compensated. Tuition covered. Room and board covered. Tutoring covered. Medical care covered. Free access to state of the art training and development staff and equipment just to mention a few.
133743 pointed that out very early in the thread, that fact is ignored by those that live in fantasy land
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:6. A full tuition, books, room and board scholarship, plus "cost of attendance" money, plus training table, plus professional coaching, plus fitness center, plus professional fitness and nutrition staff, plus exposure to professional scouts is plenty of compensation and nothing else need be done.
Agree, but that doesn't address the whole "schools make millions, these kids don't get a piece of the pie and it goes on under the table anyway" crowd.. as if every 18 year old that throws a ball is entitled to millions before their pro payday.
I address it this way. The school is the company. The AD is the president and the head coaches are VPs. They run the ship. They drive the business. They make the hard decisions. They make the big money when things go well and they get fired, often with golden parachutes, when they don't succeed. The players are the rank and file staff. They are compensated well for what they do (see my post above for all that they get), but they are just rotating parts. They are all replaceable. They are a commodity. They're just employees. Now, when they perform well they get the benefit of starting, of regional or national recognition, and the chance to try and go professional.
Employees are allowed to leave and/or negotiate for themselves. Neither of these options are available to NCAA athletes.

In your analogy (which I think is accurate), the athletes basically have their salary set by a governing body. It’s the antithesis of a free market.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HvilleHokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
Agree, but that doesn't address the whole "schools make millions, these kids don't get a piece of the pie and it goes on under the table anyway" crowd.. as if every 18 year old that throws a ball is entitled to millions before their pro payday.
I address it this way. The school is the company. The AD is the president and the head coaches are VPs. They run the ship. They drive the business. They make the hard decisions. They make the big money when things go well and they get fired, often with golden parachutes, when they don't succeed. The players are the rank and file staff. They are compensated well for what they do (see my post above for all that they get), but they are just rotating parts. They are all replaceable. They are a commodity. They're just employees. Now, when they perform well they get the benefit of starting, of regional or national recognition, and the chance to try and go professional.
Employees are allowed to leave and/or negotiate for themselves. Neither of these options are available to NCAA athletes.

In your analogy (which I think is accurate), the athletes basically have their salary set by a governing body. It’s the antithesis of a free market.
I disagree. I think you're distorting "salary". It's not about money only. These kids are getting paid in kind, and the "salary" they are getting is different based on what school they choose. Some of these guys actually want good academics and education that can help them for the rest of their lives. Some of them want to win a national championship. Some of them want a school that will help them get in the NFL. Different schools are strong in different areas.
And the NCAA athletes are free to leave anytime they want. If they don't like the college situation, then they can hire their own people to prepare them to be an NFL athlete, and foot the bill on their own. That's their choice. To even suggest that these guys are not getting a LOT of value is ridiculous. If that weren't the case, many of them, who couldn't care less about academics, would find a different avenue.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Yep. I wonder, will they be permitted to go on strike?
One, they aren't unionized. Two, if they do determine that they aren't going to play (make a stand) then just revoke their scholarships and replace them.
This country has become a tour de force for illogical change of late though. For instance, allowing female athletes to take the equivalent of PED's and compete against other female HS athletes....So, pardon me if your logical rebuttal doesn't assuage my concerns. ;)
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
fatman

Post by fatman »

How did you calculate that this exact figure fairly compensates the jocks. At many schools it probably does. For a top 20 hoops team or an SEC football team, the employees aren't getting a fair share of tickets, tv, video games, merchandising $$$. It would be hard to argue otherwise. I agree with IP,miss a lawsuit waiting to happen. Men's non revs may be decimated as a result.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

fatman wrote:
How did you calculate that this exact figure fairly compensates the jocks. At many schools it probably does. For a top 20 hoops team or an SEC football team, the employees aren't getting a fair share of tickets, tv, video games, merchandising $$$. It would be hard to argue otherwise. I agree with IP,miss a lawsuit waiting to happen. Men's non revs may be decimated as a result.
"Fair Compensation"? "Fair Share"? Really? Since when do employees/staff have a right to a fair share? Is that normal in business? That isn't theirs to place demands on. Like in business, the owners (NCAA and schools) and officers (AD and coaches) drive the business, take the risks, and make the big money. The players are replaceable, interchangeable parts. A commodity. They are compensated commensurate to what they provide and as management sees fit. And when you look at all they get they have good compensation. And if they don't like it they can go elsewhere or do something else.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

If the NCAA becomes the minor leagues for the NFL/NBA, it will destroy the sports in my opinion. The concept of collegiate sports played by (real) student athletes is fun - my tuition/donations partially funding a mini-NFL team of illiterate kids driving exotic cars is not.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
That is anti-competitive and non-capitalistic. You're advocating the rights of employers to collude monopolistically to cap wages at a maximum (in this case, tuition, room/board, etc).

Whether you believe the employees currently receive 'plenty of compensation' is immaterial. The market should allow them to earn whatever they can within the constraints of what college can afford to pay them.

Putting in a price floor due to Title IX is also anti-competitive, but it is currently in place and working.

The end result of this is that schools with more AD revenue will attract better recruits. But that won't change the cumulative landscape of CFB. There will still be the same number of employees and employers, with the possible exception of fewer borderline players declaring early for the draft.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
fatman wrote:
"Fair Compensation"? "Fair Share"? Really? Since when do employees/staff have a right to a fair share? Is that normal in business? That isn't theirs to place demands on. Like in business, the owners (NCAA and schools) and officers (AD and coaches) drive the business, take the risks, and make the big money. The players are replaceable, interchangeable parts. A commodity. They are compensated commensurate to what they provide and as management sees fit. And when you look at all they get they have good compensation. And if they don't like it they can go elsewhere or do something else.
i'm not sure where you work, but i negotiated a salary. thats my fair share based on what i believe i'm worth. my employer agrees so they agree to pay it to me. thats what fair share is.

college athletes don't have that right because of a collusion among all the schools to prohibit them from doing so. that sort of collusion is illegal in any other industry.

a fairly recent case about it was settled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Tech ... Litigation
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
That is anti-competitive and non-capitalistic.
You're the poster who doesn't believe in property rights, correct?

#'sHokie, just replace "company" with "government" in your argument and Visor will love it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
fatman wrote:
i'm not sure where you work, but i negotiated a salary. thats my fair share based on what i believe i'm worth. my employer agrees so they agree to pay it to me. thats what fair share is.

college athletes don't have that right because of a collusion among all the schools to prohibit them from doing so. that sort of collusion is illegal in any other industry.

a fairly recent case about it was settled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Tech ... Litigation
Just have the NFL allow kids to join straight from High School. Problem solved.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote: You're advocating the rights of employers to collude monopolistically to cap wages at a maximum (in this case, tuition, room/board, etc).

Whether you believe the employees currently receive 'plenty of compensation' is immaterial. The market should allow them to earn whatever they can within the constraints of what college can afford to pay them.

Putting in a price floor due to Title IX is also anti-competitive, but it is currently in place and working.

The end result of this is that schools with more AD revenue will attract better recruits. But that won't change the cumulative landscape of CFB. There will still be the same number of employees and employers, with the possible exception of fewer borderline players declaring early for the draft.
Where does it end? Will we be arguing for high school players to get paid next?

Just let kids go straight from high school to the NFL. Nobody is forced into the NCAA monopoly. Kids who want to get paid and have amateur dog fighting championships in their backyard have an option. Kids who want to get a degree and develop themselves mentally and physically have an option. Everyone is happy.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

So, like a government employee then?