State of miss. Legislature is attempting to pass legilsation

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Once

Re: State of miss. Legislature is attempting to pass legilsa

Post by Once »

Major Kong wrote:
Once wrote:The Midi Pyrenees/Occitanie (Ariege and Haute Garonne) down near the Spanish border. Once we realized that only the five riches royals in Europe could afford to live in Southeast France on the coast (and we regrettably aren't among them), we turned our search elsewhere. Foix and Bagneres de Luchon are the two population centers we are looking at. A bit of French legal trivia: France doesn't give one wit what your American will says with regard to right of succession for real property. Without a deliberate and specific French HANDWRITTEN will, should I expire before SDHokie, my nearest blood relative (in my case - my brother) will inherit my share of our home there. We were there in December to look at houses and didn't find anything we really loved, but the area is stunning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagn%C3%A8res-de-Luchon
Andorra is where it's at :!: :mrgreen:
Yeah. There is really only one real place to cross into Andorra in the Ariege and we didn't go. We did accidentally end up in Spain twice while driving around and looking at houses (the beauty of there being no real impediments to moving freely throughout the EU). We've been talking about doing this for sooooo long. I'm glad it is finally becoming a reality. SDHokie (after a year and a half of Magyarul classes here in the US and two separate trips to Debrecen for immersion class) is just about ready for his interview with the Hungarian consulate in Los Angeles and if all goes well, we will have a brand new EU citizen. Then I can apply for permanent residency (easing the way access to French Healthcare). It will be an adventure.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Once wrote:It’s Mississippi.

true, they actually believe in protecting yourself and not relying on law enforcement that may not be right next to you when the danger to yourself is on you. Darn those idiots!

try reading the article Kong posted, knowledge is gooderly!
I did read it. I remain unmoved from my original position. It’s Mississippi.
So you agree there is nothing wrong with bill, great!
I agree that it’s another unsurprising attempt at pretzel legislation from the state of Mississippi, a method of governance that works surprisingly well there. They aren’t great at thinking 6 moves ahead, wouldn’t recognize the value of the long game if it smacked them fairly in the flag, and generally work very hard to maintain the status quo, which may include many positive features, but lamentably also includes just enough self sabotage to keep them forevermore squarely in the camp of enormous drain on the federal government. It’s Mississippi.

Where it’s true that public institutions in Mississippi have enacted policy to subvert a 7-year-old law allowing blah blah, this legislation provides some teeth to challenge it (a pretzel maneuver that is all too common in Mississippi politics). On the face of it, nothing is illegal or wrong about that. I merely believe Mississippi is its own worst enemy much of the time. See comments about the long game, etc.

Interesting comments regarding the long game. Is that why you're leaving California? Or am I mistaken and you live elsewhere?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Once

Post by Once »

HokieJoe wrote:
Once wrote:
I agree that it’s another unsurprising attempt at pretzel legislation from the state of Mississippi, a method of governance that works surprisingly well there. They aren’t great at thinking 6 moves ahead, wouldn’t recognize the value of the long game if it smacked them fairly in the flag, and generally work very hard to maintain the status quo, which may include many positive features, but lamentably also includes just enough self sabotage to keep them forevermore squarely in the camp of enormous drain on the federal government. It’s Mississippi.

Where it’s true that public institutions in Mississippi have enacted policy to subvert a 7-year-old law allowing blah blah, this legislation provides some teeth to challenge it (a pretzel maneuver that is all too common in Mississippi politics). On the face of it, nothing is illegal or wrong about that. I merely believe Mississippi is its own worst enemy much of the time. See comments about the long game, etc.
Interesting comments regarding the long game. Is that why you're leaving California? Or am I mistaken and you live elsewhere?
Comments about the long game with respect to Mississippi: Having been born and raised there (and the product of generations going back to well before statehood), I guess it is just something to which I've paid attention (don't ask me anything about Connecticut, Iowa, or Illinois, etc.). For instance (with the aid of ye olde internet), Mississippi has the highest obesity rate in the nation; ranks dead last in completion of high school; students routinely rank last or next to last year after year in academic performance; has one of the highest unemployment rates of the states consistently; most years has the highest percentage of residents living below the poverty line; has the lowest life expectancy of all the states; still has pretty high teen pregnancy rates despite abstinence education and religious influence; its economy consistently ranks dead last or a few spots off; and I don't know that Mississippi has ever been a contributor to the nation's economy as opposed to a sinkhole. A long-term strategy toward turning around any two of those things would dramatically change the landscape in Mississippi. Mississippi seems to collect impediments to progress like Pokemon cards (do kids still do that? If not, the metaphor still works albeit clumsily).

I live in California and have since 1992. I like it. It works for me. I've managed to make a decent living, live in a decent (if obscenely overpriced) house, have structured my life to not spend hours on the freeway commuting, and have good friends who have become more like family. That said, I understand why California wouldn't work for others. It has its long game challenges too. They include the economy and infrastructure; preparation for natural disasters; prevalence of drugs; etc. California's challenges seem to be a combination of politics (a problem/not a problem depending on where a person is on the liberal----conservative continuum) and the sheer size of the economy (I believe we are number 6 in the world) balanced oddly against one of the highest poverty rates in the US (that number is a little hinky because the statistic doesn't take into account the high cost of living in CA - if that number were adjusted to reflect the COL, we'd be at 19 or so). California gets a bad rap, but the existence of California (and Virginia too) props up states like New Mexico, Mississippi, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Alabama.

France: We are leaving simply because we really enjoy being there. We only get one life and although I've enjoyed living in the US, I'd like to try something new and there is nothing impeding us from doing so except some notion that it is a crazy thing to do. Why is it crazy? The short answer is "it isn't". Other people move all the time. If it works out, magnificent. If it doesn't, we'll try Budapest. There isn't a political agenda for going. We started planning during the Obama administration, so it isn't some grand anti-Trump decision. He is a nonfactor. So, I guess in a way, it is part of my personal long game. I want to enjoy France for more than a few weeks at a time 3 times a year. I want to be able to enjoy the quality of life that comes with fantastic public infrastructure (train travel/access to other EU countries); one of the top 5 healthcare systems in the world according to the WHO; great food and a healthy lifestyle; and as a nod to my Mississippi roots, for the first time in many years, a home with some grass to sink my toes into. :lol:
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Once wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Once wrote:

Comments about the long game with respect to Mississippi: Having been born and raised there (and the product of generations going back to well before statehood), I guess it is just something to which I've paid attention (don't ask me anything about Connecticut, Iowa, or Illinois, etc.). For instance (with the aid of ye olde internet), Mississippi has the highest obesity rate in the nation; ranks dead last in completion of high school; students routinely rank last or next to last year after year in academic performance; has one of the highest unemployment rates of the states consistently; most years has the highest percentage of residents living below the poverty line; has the lowest life expectancy of all the states; still has pretty high teen pregnancy rates despite abstinence education and religious influence; its economy consistently ranks dead last or a few spots off; and I don't know that Mississippi has ever been a contributor to the nation's economy as opposed to a sinkhole. A long-term strategy toward turning around any two of those things would dramatically change the landscape in Mississippi. Mississippi seems to collect impediments to progress like Pokemon cards (do kids still do that? If not, the metaphor still works albeit clumsily).

I live in California and have since 1992. I like it. It works for me. I've managed to make a decent living, live in a decent (if obscenely overpriced) house, have structured my life to not spend hours on the freeway commuting, and have good friends who have become more like family. That said, I understand why California wouldn't work for others. It has its long game challenges too. They include the economy and infrastructure; preparation for natural disasters; prevalence of drugs; etc. California's challenges seem to be a combination of politics (a problem/not a problem depending on where a person is on the liberal----conservative continuum) and the sheer size of the economy (I believe we are number 6 in the world) balanced oddly against one of the highest poverty rates in the US (that number is a little hinky because the statistic doesn't take into account the high cost of living in CA - if that number were adjusted to reflect the COL, we'd be at 19 or so). California gets a bad rap, but the existence of California (and Virginia too) props up states like New Mexico, Mississippi, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Alabama.

France: We are leaving simply because we really enjoy being there. We only get one life and although I've enjoyed living in the US, I'd like to try something new and there is nothing impeding us from doing so except some notion that it is a crazy thing to do. Why is it crazy? The short answer is "it isn't". Other people move all the time. If it works out, magnificent. If it doesn't, we'll try Budapest. There isn't a political agenda for going. We started planning during the Obama administration, so it isn't some grand anti-Trump decision. He is a nonfactor. So, I guess in a way, it is part of my personal long game. I want to enjoy France for more than a few weeks at a time 3 times a year. I want to be able to enjoy the quality of life that comes with fantastic public infrastructure (train travel/access to other EU countries); one of the top 5 healthcare systems in the world according to the WHO; great food and a healthy lifestyle; and as a nod to my Mississippi roots, for the first time in many years, a home with some grass to sink my toes into. :lol:
And "enjoy being there" is the only thing that matters.

Laissez les bons temps rouler
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Once

Post by Once »

HokieJoe wrote:
Once wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Once wrote:

And "enjoy being there" is the only thing that matters.

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Maybe I'll open a little breakfast/lunch place, serve biscuits and 2 kinds of gravy (sausage, red eye), teach them about homemade fried chicken, and introduce them to heaven on bread (the poboy). :lol:
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Once wrote:Comments about the long game with respect to Mississippi...
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

fatman

Post by fatman »

nolanvt wrote:That’s a disaster.

I'm sure they'll have more bullets than teeth in the stadium. A bunch of folks from one of the least educated states in the country hopped up on meth and moonshine with guns, what could possibly go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once

Post by Once »

Major Kong wrote:
Once wrote:Comments about the long game with respect to Mississippi...
:lol:
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Once wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Once wrote:

I understand the MS rant but alot of the states problems are its location, same as many other states that do not have a big employment advantage. If employers do not locate there it will be a poor area. Eastern NC is the same way, it is very rural due to very little employment beside farming so you see all the poverty issues you note for MS.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Once wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Once wrote:

Very envious. I'm in my early 30's but spent a year in Europe studying in college. Love the mass transit and love the lifestyles and I've enjoyed going back ever since.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

ElbertoHokie wrote:Very envious. I'm in my early 30's but spent a year in Europe studying in college. Love the mass transit and love the lifestyles and I've enjoyed going back ever since.
^^^Enjoyed the Hostel movies^^^ :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:Very envious. I'm in my early 30's but spent a year in Europe studying in college. Love the mass transit and love the lifestyles and I've enjoyed going back ever since.
Mass transit is important. It is what makes SoCal second-class on the world stage when it comes to cities.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Once

Post by Once »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
Mass transit is important. It is what makes SoCal second-class on the world stage when it comes to cities.
Absolutely - it is frustrating. San Diego has a slow-ass trolley system that runs from the US/Mexican Border through downtown where the line splits going to 'nowhere' and 'nowhere else'. Buses are infrequent and .... well you get the point. LA is no better. My brother-in-law is interviewing for a job in San Diego today (egghead professor of economics) and coming from Melbourne Australia, is expecting to be able to use public transportation. We keep telling him that isn't going to work here. You need a car.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
We're building a metro!!! First class here we come!
Yeh, we're moving on up...moving on up...to mass transit...moving on up.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
Don't see how mass transit works in LA. There is no there, there.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

It was fascinating when I lived there because they are making a concerted effort to build out the transit system. Everyone seems to be for it, but it's a huge NIMBY thing. The people with $10M homes want the city to have mass transit but hell no they don't want a station near them for fear of the riff raff because the metro system currently has a very lower class connotation there.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

This thread isn't complete without a discussion of Norfolk's light rail.... :lol:
Once

Post by Once »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
I understand the MS rant but alot of the states problems are its location, same as many other states that do not have a big employment advantage. If employers do not locate there it will be a poor area. Eastern NC is the same way, it is very rural due to very little employment beside farming so you see all the poverty issues you note for MS.
I understand the concepts behind your post, but the reality doesn't prove your point. Mississippi's population relative to other states is low (2.9 Million for the whole state) and they already have: GE, Toyota, and Nissan manufacturing plants + GE, which is expanding a few processes there, and EADS, the parent of Airbus, as well as a plant from Severstal (a Russian company). Mississippi is also largely non-union. One aspect worth mentioning that factors is the flight of educated millenials. They are leaving the state in droves for obvious reasons.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Good luck on your move to France. However, if you think MS government is crazy, good luck with the French. I agree that the countryside is amazing, but their labor laws are some of the worst in the world.

We once had an employee sue us for what he thought was constructive termination when we had actually increased his role. We had to spend €50,000 to defend ourselves. We won the case, but the fact we had to spend money to defend it was ridiculous. Oh, and if you want to close a facility, you’d better back up a Brink’s truck and offer them to take what they want. It will be cheaper in the end.

I’ve been to Pau several times and enjoyed it every time. I just dint think I could live there.
Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
I understand the concepts behind your post, but the reality doesn't prove your point. Mississippi's population relative to other states is low (2.9 Million for the whole state) and they already have: GE, Toyota, and Nissan manufacturing plants + GE, which is expanding a few processes there, and EADS, the parent of Airbus, as well as a plant from Severstal (a Russian company). Mississippi is also largely non-union. One aspect worth mentioning that factors is the flight of educated millenials. They are leaving the state in droves for obvious reasons.
Once

Post by Once »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Good luck on your move to France. However, if you think MS government is crazy, good luck with the French. I agree that the countryside is amazing, but their labor laws are some of the worst in the world.

We once had an employee sue us for what he thought was constructive termination when we had actually increased his role. We had to spend €50,000 to defend ourselves. We won the case, but the fact we had to spend money to defend it was ridiculous. Oh, and if you want to close a facility, you’d better back up a Brink’s truck and offer them to take what they want. It will be cheaper in the end.

I’ve been to Pau several times and enjoyed it every time. I just dint think I could live there.
Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
I can imagine it would be a pain in the arse to work/employ people there, but for us, this will be retirement. We don’t have to be nearly as concerned about some of the usual complaints about France. We won’t need to worry about employment taxes, property taxes are actually projected to be a bit less than we pay in California, and private health insurance until we both qualify for French healthcare is very reasonable and comprehensive compared to the US. The house won’t be purchased with any expectation of turning a profit, etc. what will matter to us are the view, relative proximity to an international airport, and reasonable services. I think like I said above for California, it will work for us at this stage in life. It would have been impossibly 15 years ago. I can definitely see why it wouldn’t work for others.

I was just in Pau in December. :D
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

USN_Hokie wrote:This thread isn't complete without a discussion of Norfolk's light rail.... :lol:
What’s even better is Denver’s train to the plane.......what a freakin disaster......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function