Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

State of miss. Legislature is attempting to pass legilsation

Post by ElbertoHokie »

to make it legal to carry firearms into sporting events.

I've been to SEC football games. I can't imagine a worse idea that's ever been proposed.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: State of miss. Legislature is attempting to pass legilsa

Post by nolanvt »

That’s a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

Well as good as Alabama and Auburn are anything Ole Miss and Mississippi State can do to even the odds is probably a good idea. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Mississippi.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:That’s a disaster.

only if you carried one

you and Elberto may want to check out Kong's article before your knee jerks
Once

Post by Once »

It’s Mississippi.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Once wrote:It’s Mississippi.
I think I recall that you are from down that way.

If you are ever in Jackson, the civil rights museum is worth a visit. Set aside a lot of time if you want to take in everything.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

true, they actually believe in protecting yourself and not relying on law enforcement that may not be right next to you when the danger to yourself is on you. Darn those idiots!

try reading the article Kong posted, knowledge is gooderly!
Once

Post by Once »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

If you are ever in Jackson, the civil rights museum is worth a visit. Set aside a lot of time if you want to take in everything.
I am from Mississippi. Good memory. I’ve read a few bits about the museum and I understand it is very good. I had to laugh about a few comments from black Mississippians who said they would be (paraphrasing) ~skipping an organized shiny display of a condition in which they still live every day~.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on what day it is, I have no reason to return to Mississippi. My parents are now dead as is my brother who lived there. I have one dear friend who is a Special Asst. Attorney General with the state who lives in Jackson, but I usually see her when either of us is traveling for work or nonsense. No compelling reason to return unless I want to visit the places I spread my parents’ ashes (I’ll not sure I’d be welcomed back again to William Faulkner and Estelle Oldham Faulkner’s fron yard after that... ).
Once

Post by Once »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

true, they actually believe in protecting yourself and not relying on law enforcement that may not be right next to you when the danger to yourself is on you. Darn those idiots!

I did read it. I remain unmoved from my original position. It’s Mississippi.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

So you agree there is nothing wrong with bill, great!
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Once wrote:I did read it. I remain unmoved from my original position. It’s Mississippi.
I question you being from M-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i-humpback-humpback-i :!: :mrgreen:

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Once wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

I am from Mississippi. Good memory. I’ve read a few bits about the museum and I understand it is very good. I had to laugh about a few comments from black Mississippians who said they would be (paraphrasing) ~skipping an organized shiny display of a condition in which they still live every day~.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on what day it is, I have no reason to return to Mississippi. My parents are now dead as is my brother who lived there. I have one dear friend who is a Special Asst. Attorney General with the state who lives in Jackson, but I usually see her when either of us is traveling for work or nonsense. No compelling reason to return unless I want to visit the places I spread my parents’ ashes (I’ll not sure I’d be welcomed back again to William Faulkner and Estelle Oldham Faulkner’s fron yard after that... ).
I took a tour of the state. From Brandon, I visited out near Meridian towards Enterprise, and also around Chunky.

the museum did not pull any punches.
Once

Post by Once »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I agree that it’s another unsurprising attempt at pretzel legislation from the state of Mississippi, a method of governance that works surprisingly well there. They aren’t great at thinking 6 moves ahead, wouldn’t recognize the value of the long game if it smacked them fairly in the flag, and generally work very hard to maintain the status quo, which may include many positive features, but lamentably also includes just enough self sabotage to keep them forevermore squarely in the camp of enormous drain on the federal government. It’s Mississippi.

Where it’s true that public institutions in Mississippi have enacted policy to subvert a 7-year-old law allowing blah blah, this legislation provides some teeth to challenge it (a pretzel maneuver that is all too common in Mississippi politics). On the face of it, nothing is illegal or wrong about that. I merely believe Mississippi is its own worst enemy much of the time. See comments about the long game, etc.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I expect she’s fine with it, so long as it stays in Mississippi.

Once

Post by Once »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Pretty much. I’m just a mildly interested bystander at this point. My opinion on guns in general is pretty straightforward and static. The US has a very strong and powerful gun culture. Getting my knickers in a knot about the existence of weaponry in the US is unproductive. People possess them for various reasons, some good, some bad, and some very bad in my subjective opinion.

We are headed to France in May for our second house hunting trip. We’ve narrowed the area and should own something by the end of the year. WOOT WOOT! We are now just under 6 years from hanging it all up and putting out our “Retired and Loving it!” sign.

I’m glad you got to see some of Mississippi. It’s a very beautiful state in some ways. You can see how brokenness and poverty can create some of the best music, poetry, and food. There will always be things I love about it.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Once wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

$3 beers at Chunky Shoals fish camp. I haven't seen that since Blacksburg, 20 years ago.

Pretty much. I’m just a mildly interested bystander at this point. My opinion on guns in general is pretty straightforward and static. The US has a very strong and powerful gun culture. Getting my knickers in a knot about the existence of weaponry in the US is unproductive. People possess them for various reasons, some good, some bad, and some very bad in my subjective opinion.

We are headed to France in May for our second house hunting trip. We’ve narrowed the area and should own something by the end of the year. WOOT WOOT! We are now just under 6 years from hanging it all up and putting out our “Retired and Loving it!” sign.

I’m glad you got to see some of Mississippi. It’s a very beautiful state in some ways. You can see how brokenness and poverty can create some of the best music, poetry, and food. There will always be things I love about it.
Outside of Jackson, the area reminds me a lot of southside Virginia - Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Halifax counties. I understand the delta region has the worse poverty, and area to the east is relatively better off. We stayed towards the east.

Good stuff on France. Where are you looking?
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Mississippi.

ip.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

$3 beers at Chunky Shoals fish camp. I haven't seen that since Blacksburg, 20 years ago.

Outside of Jackson, the area reminds me a lot of southside Virginia - Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Halifax counties. I understand the delta region has the worse poverty, and area to the east is relatively better off. We stayed towards the east.

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Once

Post by Once »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
The Midi Pyrenees/Occitanie (Ariege and Haute Garonne) down near the Spanish border. Once we realized that only the five riches royals in Europe could afford to live in Southeast France on the coast (and we regrettably aren't among them), we turned our search elsewhere. Foix and Bagneres de Luchon are the two population centers we are looking at. A bit of French legal trivia: France doesn't give one wit what your American will says with regard to right of succession for real property. Without a deliberate and specific French HANDWRITTEN will, should I expire before SDHokie, my nearest blood relative (in my case - my brother) will inherit my share of our home there. We were there in December to look at houses and didn't find anything we really loved, but the area is stunning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagn%C3%A8res-de-Luchon
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Once wrote: I did read it. I remain unmoved from my original position. It’s Mississippi.

You are correct. They were 2.75.

Once

Post by Once »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

game. set. match. well played.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Once wrote:The Midi Pyrenees/Occitanie (Ariege and Haute Garonne) down near the Spanish border. Once we realized that only the five riches royals in Europe could afford to live in Southeast France on the coast (and we regrettably aren't among them), we turned our search elsewhere. Foix and Bagneres de Luchon are the two population centers we are looking at. A bit of French legal trivia: France doesn't give one wit what your American will says with regard to right of succession for real property. Without a deliberate and specific French HANDWRITTEN will, should I expire before SDHokie, my nearest blood relative (in my case - my brother) will inherit my share of our home there. We were there in December to look at houses and didn't find anything we really loved, but the area is stunning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagn%C3%A8res-de-Luchon
Andorra is where it's at :!: :mrgreen:

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Once wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: So you agree there is nothing wrong with bill, great!

Uh huh
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.