Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Anbody nervous about a trade war?

Post by HokieJoe »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
German steel and UK aluminum. They aren't dumping Chinesium into the US market.
Do you watch AvE?

Keep your dick in vise
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Do you watch AvE?

Keep your dick in vise
Ha. He's my favorite Canadian Canuckistani.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Do you watch AvE?

Keep your dick in vise
Ha. He's my favorite Canadian Canuckistani.

Yeah, he's entertaining.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

First let me say that in general I agree that waging a trade war is probably not a good idea, and in terms of benefit to the consumer will hurt more than help.

However, I do think there is another angle to this that we need to consider and that is the national security angle. Right now we are not able to produce enough steel to meet the domestic demand. We have to import something like 20% or more. If we ever get to a point where we get into a real war and have to ramp up the war machine, this will be a big problem in terms of our ability to provide our own defense.

I've often thought the same about manufacturing. If we just let all of the manufacturing jobs go to China, and we know longer have the skills or tools necessary to manufacture the products needed to defend ourselves (tanks, guns, planes, ships, etc.), what happens? Do we rely on Chinese manufacturing to produce our the tools needed for national defense?

We must have a policy in place that insure that America can provide for its own common defense, and if that means we have to put some tariffs on goods or subsidizing strategic production then I think there's some wisdom in that. Unless someone can come up with a purely free market solution that guarantees we maintain the skill and capacity without tariffs and subsidies. I'm willing to listen.

But remember, when we trade with China, we are not trading with a "free market" partner. We are trading with Communists that force their people to work for cheap/slave wages, so its neither "free" nor "fair" trade.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
First let me say that in general I agree that waging a trade war is probably not a good idea, and in terms of benefit to the consumer will hurt more than help.

However, I do think there is another angle to this that we need to consider and that is the national security angle. Right now we are not able to produce enough steel to meet the domestic demand. We have to import something like 20% or more. If we ever get to a point where we get into a real war and have to ramp up the war machine, this will be a big problem in terms of our ability to provide our own defense.

I've often thought the same about manufacturing. If we just let all of the manufacturing jobs go to China, and we know longer have the skills or tools necessary to manufacture the products needed to defend ourselves (tanks, guns, planes, ships, etc.), what happens? Do we rely on Chinese manufacturing to produce our the tools needed for national defense?

We must have a policy in place that insure that America can provide for its own common defense, and if that means we have to put some tariffs on goods or subsidizing strategic production then I think there's some wisdom in that. Unless someone can come up with a purely free market solution that guarantees we maintain the skill and capacity without tariffs and subsidies. I'm willing to listen.

But remember, when we trade with China, we are not trading with a "free market" partner. We are trading with Communists that force their people to work for cheap/slave wages, so its neither "free" nor "fair" trade.
The same issue exists with the semiconductor industry. But hey, the 'free traders' and captains of the universe thought it was a good idea to to ship a lot of that industry to Taiwan and China. It's short-sighted, and frankly, idiotic but profitable.