Anbody nervous about a trade war?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Anbody nervous about a trade war?

Post by ip_law-hokie »

The rollout has been less than smooth. Does Trump need someone to tell him what to think, like gun control, or are conservatives protectionists now?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/busi ... trump.html
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Anbody nervous about a trade war?

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:The rollout has been less than smooth. Does Trump need someone to tell him what to think, like gun control, or are conservatives protectionists now?

how come you don't freak out about all the tariffs used by other countries on their imports?

and no, not worried about a trade war at all
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:The rollout has been less than smooth. Does Trump need someone to tell him what to think, like gun control, or are conservatives protectionists now?

how come you don't freak out about all the tariffs used by other countries on their imports?

I honestly don’t know enough about the issue to have strong feelings one way or the other. I question whether our president knows enough either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I honestly don’t know enough about the issue to have strong feelings one way or the other. I question whether our president knows enough either.

he has a whole staff to inform him so it was an informed decision, FYI, other countries tariff our products they import.... so far the worldwide economy has NOT collapsed

question, how do you do a smooth rollout? the people affected will not be happy, many folks in the USA will but no matter how he did it some folks were going to be pissed
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

he has a whole staff to inform him so it was an informed decision, FYI, other countries tariff our products they import.... so far the worldwide economy has NOT collapsed

question, how do you do a smooth rollout? the people affected will not be happy, many folks in the USA will but no matter how he did it some folks were going to be pissed
there's not a good way to start a trade war, but coming out for it, then saying he's against it, and then going on a twitter storm for it, is probably not the conventional approach.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

there's not a good way to start a trade war, but coming out for it, then saying he's against it, and then going on a twitter storm for it, is probably not the conventional approach.
You do realize twitter is the only way he can communicate with the public that is not massaged and lied about by the media? thus tweets
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

You do realize twitter is the only way he can communicate with the public that is not massaged and lied about by the media? thus tweets
Got it.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

and no, not worried about a trade war at all[/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

question, how do you do a smooth rollout? the people affected will not be happy, many folks in the USA will but no matter how he did it some folks were going to be pissed[/quote]

there's not a good way to start a trade war, but coming out for it, then saying he's against it, and then going on a twitter storm for it, is probably not the conventional approach.[/quote]

You do realize twitter is the only way he can communicate with the public that is not massaged and lied about by the media? thus tweets[/quote]

Got it.[/quote]

at least you had an actual conversation for two minutes, congrats, progress
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:how come you don't freak out about all the tariffs used by other countries on their imports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

question, how do you do a smooth rollout? the people affected will not be happy, many folks in the USA will but no matter how he did it some folks were going to be pissed[/quote]

there's not a good way to start a trade war, but coming out for it, then saying he's against it, and then going on a twitter storm for it, is probably not the conventional approach.[/quote]

You do realize twitter is the only way he can communicate with the public that is not massaged and lied about by the media? thus tweets[/quote]

Got it.[/quote]

at least you had an actual conversation for two minutes, congrats, progress[/quote]

you're welcome.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

What a crazy coincidence.

Former Trump adviser shed millions in steel-related stock weeks ahead of tariff announcement
A former Trump adviser is raising eyebrows in the investment community after disclosing a multi-million dollar sell-off in shares of a construction company reliant on steel just weeks before the President announced a 25 percent tariff on steel imports.

Carl Icahn, a billionaire investor and former special adviser to President Trump, disclosed in a February 22 SEC filing that his companies had shed a $31.3 million stake in Manitowoc. The company, according to its website, is a leading “manufacturer of cranes and lifting solutions with manufacturing, distribution, and service facilities.”

Manitowoc’s share value dropped 6 percent on Thursday after President Trump’s steel tariffs announcement, and on Friday shares hovered around $26. When Icahn sold off his Manitowoc holdings in mid-February, shares were trading between $32 and $34.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

Which specific countries should we be freaked out about?

China, obviously. And Mexico is pretty high. The rest? I think they're pretty low.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

HooFighter wrote:What a crazy coincidence.

Former Trump adviser shed millions in steel-related stock weeks ahead of tariff announcement
A former Trump adviser is raising eyebrows in the investment community after disclosing a multi-million dollar sell-off in shares of a construction company reliant on steel just weeks before the President announced a 25 percent tariff on steel imports.

Carl Icahn, a billionaire investor and former special adviser to President Trump, disclosed in a February 22 SEC filing that his companies had shed a $31.3 million stake in Manitowoc. The company, according to its website, is a leading “manufacturer of cranes and lifting solutions with manufacturing, distribution, and service facilities.”

Manitowoc’s share value dropped 6 percent on Thursday after President Trump’s steel tariffs announcement, and on Friday shares hovered around $26. When Icahn sold off his Manitowoc holdings in mid-February, shares were trading between $32 and $34.
This was a campaign promise, you dope.

A dumb campaign promise, but one nonetheless.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote:

This was a campaign promise, you dope.

A dumb campaign promise, but one nonetheless.
By campaign promise, you mean he promised Carl that he would give him a heads up before he announced his steel tariffs?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I used to love Trade Wars
tradewars-2002.png
tradewars-2002.png (11.93 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

You're being a drama queen. This was no surprise. Trump alluded to bad trade deals since the R primary.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

China, obviously. And Mexico is pretty high. The rest? I think they're pretty low.
The EU has been penalizing Silicon Valley companies for years with big fines for anti-competitive ( :roll:) behavior. However, the target is China and their predatory behavior. I fully applaud the tariff.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Trade war... a bad idea.
Trump’s quotes are concerning.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Meanwhile, in America Lite, where they elected a snowboarding instructor...
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

]
Here's an investment tip: invest in crouton and romaine futures.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

The EU has been penalizing Silicon Valley companies for years with big fines for anti-competitive ( :roll:) behavior. However, the target is China and their predatory behavior. I fully applaud the tariff.
If China is the target, one would think it could have been carried out better, as the EU and UK are pissed.

HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

Any intrusion on free trade by the government is bad.
fatman

Post by fatman »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

If China were the target, trump wouldn’t have gone after steel. We don’t get much steel from China.
https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reute ... SKCN1GE2XQ
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

If China is the target, one would think it could have been carried out better, as the EU and UK are pissed.

German steel and UK aluminum. They aren't dumping Chinesium into the US market.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
German steel and UK aluminum. They aren't dumping Chinesium into the US market.
Do you watch AvE?
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HvilleHokie wrote:Any intrusion on free trade by the government is bad.

If only other country's followed that dictum.