Party: Surprise Party

Rent for Sex, now a thing in the U.K.

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Ain’t globalization grand?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... millenials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
fatman

Re: Rent for Sex, now a thing in the U.K.

Post by fatman »

That’s nuts. I’m not sure I buy a core point in that story. An entire generation can’t permanently be “priced out” of the housing and rental market unless there is massive immigration/buying from rich foreign consumers. Pricing must drop to affordable levels. It’s a supple/demand thing.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

fatman wrote:That’s nuts. I’m not sure I buy a core point in that story. An entire generation can’t permanently be “priced out” of the housing and rental market unless there is massive immigration/buying from rich foreign consumers. Pricing must drop to affordable levels. It’s a supple/demand thing.
You have a good point. There is this guy on YouTube called Hobo Traveller and he has lived in 120 countries over the past 20 years.

He points out that rent is on average always a quarter to a third of the average income, everywhere in the world. His schtick is that you can retire very early as a US citizen, if you just leave the US and spend your time in the majority of the world,where the average wage is super low.

Anyway, here is what I think.

I think white girls only will live in certain neighborhoods. I see this in SF every day. The cute sorority girls will only live in about five neighborhoods in SF(the Marina, Pac Heights, North Beach, the Mission, etc). The move here at 23, and they usually share a $4k apt with a roommate. A lot of them would probably give up some vitamin P to not have to leave the trendy areas. These kinds of areas have had rents driven up and up by Tech Bros. London has A similar deal I bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I feel like this is a good opportunity to whip out this classic:

https://www.theonion.com/housewife-char ... 1819567920
fatman

Post by fatman »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
fatman wrote:That’s nuts. I’m not sure I buy a core point in that story. An entire generation can’t permanently be “priced out” of the housing and rental market unless there is massive immigration/buying from rich foreign consumers. Pricing must drop to affordable levels. It’s a supple/demand thing.
You have a good point. There is this guy on YouTube called Hobo Traveller and he has lived in 120 countries over the past 20 years.

He points out that rent is on average always a quarter to a third of the average income, everywhere in the world. His schtick is that you can retire very early as a US citizen, if you just leave the US and spend your time in the majority of the world,where the average wage is super low.

I think white girls only will live in certain neighborhoods. I see this in SF every day. The cute sorority girls will only live in about five neighborhoods in SF(the Marina, Pac Heights, North Beach, the Mission, etc). The move here at 23, and they usually share a $4k apt with a roommate. A lot of them would probably give up some vitamin P to not have to leave the trendy areas. These kinds of areas have had rents driven up and up by Tech Bros. London has A similar deal I bet.

SF and London are similar in the astronomic costs of housing. SF seems driven by tech. London has crazy money, it appears to be more about Uber wealthy Russians and Middle Easterners, basically luxury migration. Regular joe workers even in finance are getting pushed out further into the burbs.

What goes up...must go down. Good point about the sorority girls. They probably not adverse to landing a local millennial tech multi-millionaire.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Ain’t globalization grand?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... millenials

how is this a new story, people have been using sex since the beginning of humans. Nobody HAS to do it, life is about choices
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

fatman wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

SF and London are similar in the astronomic costs of housing. SF seems driven by tech. London has crazy money, it appears to be more about Uber wealthy Russians and Middle Easterners, basically luxury migration. Regular joe workers even in finance are getting pushed out further into the burbs.

What goes up...must go down. Good point about the sorority girls. They probably not adverse to landing a local millennial tech multi-millionaire.
Is this the connection with globalization mentioned in the OP? That is, rents are going up due to free migration amongst the wealthy, causing local residents to become high-end prostitutes?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.