Amazon has changed online shopping

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Amazon has changed online shopping

Post by awesome guy »

I've only been an Amazon Prime junky for about a year. I used to buy books from there back in the 90s when they first opened and had a great computer book selection. Haven't switched my shopping habits to there till recently. So I'm now used to getting online purchases in a day to 2. And that's for odd stuff, like boat props or aluminum powder. I recently bought some stuff off a site that I've used for like 8 years, but first time in a while. Anyway, delivery will be in a week. Used to not bother me, really bothers me now after experiencing Prime. Other online merchants are going to have to find a way to keep pace or they're going to be perceived to be way worse, and with $6 shipping to boot. That's for the few companies not selling on Amazon now anyways.
Last edited by awesome guy on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Amazon has changed online shopping

Post by USN_Hokie »

I'm not sure I could go back to the old days of filling out a slip inside a catalog, writing a check, then waiting 2-4 weeks for stuff to show up...or worse, finding out it's backordered.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Amazon has changed online shopping

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:I'm not sure I could go back to the old days of filling out a slip inside a catalog, writing a check, then waiting 2-4 weeks for stuff to show up...or worse, finding out it's backordered.

Only place I know that doesn't have an online store is a holdout rod building supply company in NYC. It's owned by an old guy that refuses to change. Other than him, I don't think that world exists even more. I'm complaining that Amazon has shifted my expectation in delivery to 1-2 days with free shipping, so I'm a bit ticked when other merchants can't reproduce the same. A week or 2 doesn't cut it anymore.

I bought a couple rod holders the other day on Amazon and got them faster than the local merchant could get them. Not only that, the manufacturer is 15 minutes from the merchant. The merchant is an hour from my house with another store in town 30 minutes away. Here are the ways I could have gotten the rod holders.

1) I could have spent 2 hours to drive to the factory and back to get them.
2) Merchant could have driven 15 minutes to the factory to get them, and then put them on a truck and drove to their store close to me for a 1 hour drive.

Amazon beat Option 2, I could have beat them with option 1.

P.S. for RiverGuy, I'm talking about the YakAttack Omega Rod Holder. YakAttack is made in Farmville. Merchant is ARC. Get a couple for your fishing kayak, they're the bomb! Way better than the Ram Mount ones YakAttack used to sell. Those have a screwball system and it will turn if you bump the holder with your leg or anything. These won't, they're a lot more stable and easy to work with. Plus they'll work with any style rod. I still love the Zooka Tubes, but these are better and for the same cost, assuming you haven't bought any. They slide right into the Trax system.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.