Be Civil. Go Hokies.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Gary Cohn out

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:The number of departures this soon is starting to look like that Tim Couch Browns jersey that gets updated for each starting quarterback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He didn't get his way on trade so he's taking a walk. Another Wall Streeter that can't stand to not get his way. What did he expect coming to work for the White House?
I'm guessing he didn't want to be an Chief economic adviser when the administration did something so economically stupid.
He should have consulted you, your brilliance would have swayed him for sure. Still wondering how most other countries on the planet tax imported items and the world economy still functions
He (Cohn) didn't need to. He came to the logical conclusion on his own.

Tax and tariff are not the same. We tax all imports as well. We also have tariffs.

If the bar for good policy is "functioning," then you have a really low bar.
you have a really low bar if you think a tax and a tariff are different, I guess you call the now defunct not having health insurance tax a penalty or fee also
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:The number of departures this soon is starting to look like that Tim Couch Browns jersey that gets updated for each starting quarterback.

He didn't get his way on trade so he's taking a walk. Another Wall Streeter that can't stand to not get his way. What did he expect coming to work for the White House?
I'm guessing he didn't want to be an Chief economic adviser when the administration did something so economically stupid.
He should have consulted you, your brilliance would have swayed him for sure. Still wondering how most other countries on the planet tax imported items and the world economy still functions

Tax and tariff are not the same. We tax all imports as well. We also have tariffs.

tar·iff

ˈterəf/

noun

a tax or duty to be paid on a particular class of imports or exports.

synonyms:tax, duty, toll, excise, levy, charge, rate, fee, countervail; 

price list

"the lower tariffs across the border
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HvilleHokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Exactly, he disagreed with Trump and did not get his way so he quit. The egos in the WH is the issue, there are lots of uber rich folks that think only their opinion matters. So what, you did not win the argument, that happens to normal people daily
I imagine it would be difficult for someone who actually understands the issue at hand to be overruled by someone like Trump.

:lol:

Poor little babies are scared to death over TWADE WARS.

Give me a break.
are you referring to cohn?

Wall Street
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Yeah, we keep taking it up the tail pipe with our trade balance, but hey, the stock market is booming.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

you have a really low bar if you think a tax and a tariff are different, I guess you call the now defunct not having health insurance tax a penalty or fee also
A VAT is not a tariff. All U.S. exports to say Europe are subject to VAT. This is not a tariff, it's a tax. Trump confused the two in the debates, it's important to use the correct language so as to not make the same stupid mistake as our president. So yes, tariffs and taxes are different just like Baptists and Pentecostals are different even though they're all Protestants.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: He didn't get his way on trade so he's taking a walk. Another Wall Streeter that can't stand to not get his way. What did he expect coming to work for the White House?

A VAT is not a tariff. All U.S. exports to say Europe are subject to VAT. This is not a tariff, it's a tax. Trump confused the two in the debates, it's important to use the correct language so as to not make the same stupid mistake as our president. So yes, tariffs and taxes are different just like Baptists and Pentecostals are different even though they're all Protestants.
The EU has tariffs on US imports. For the most brilliant mind of a generation, you don't actually know a lot.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

The EU has tariffs on US imports. For the most brilliant mind of a generation, you don't actually know a lot.
You're an idiot. Not one part of my post stated Europe doesn't have tariffs on U.S. imports.
Illiterate poster throwing around brilliant doesn't do much for me. Have a great night.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: He should have consulted you, your brilliance would have swayed him for sure. Still wondering how most other countries on the planet tax imported items and the world economy still functions

You're an idiot. Not one part of my post stated Europe doesn't have tariffs on U.S. imports.
Illiterate poster throwing around brilliant doesn't do much for me. Have a great night.
FU idiot. You're dumb as dirt, here's what you said.
TheH2 wrote: All U.S. exports to say Europe are subject to VAT. This is not a tariff, it's a tax.
I'm completely literate and enlightened, thusly my laughing at your arrogance and foolishness. It's no wonder work keeps you in the computer closet. Not safe around people. Kiss my ass fool, you're nauseatingly condescending and vile. Straight up repugnant as a human being.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote: I'm completely literate and enlightened, thusly my laughing at your arrogance and foolishness. It's no wonder work keeps you in the computer closet. Not safe around people. Kiss my ass fool.
Yes, I said VAT is not a tariff. That is a true statement. Not sure how you jump from VAT is not a tariff to there are no tariffs. Learn how to read first, work on insults second.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote: I'm completely literate and enlightened, thusly my laughing at your arrogance and foolishness. It's no wonder work keeps you in the computer closet. Not safe around people. Kiss my ass fool.
Yes, I said VAT is not a tariff. That is a true statement. Not sure how you jump from VAT is not a tariff to there are no tariffs. Learn how to read first, work on insults second.
Learn how to write if you meant something different. GFY
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:Stossel nails it:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/03/ ... umers.html
I bet you can find people of both sides of the debate that think they are right, Stossel makes good points, other people make other good points. But yes the world economy will collapse if the USA does what other countries do
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

I bet you can find people of both sides of the debate that think they are right, Stossel makes good points, other people make other good points. But yes the world economy will collapse if the USA does what other countries do
Care to post some of these other articles?

Also, no one is claiming the economy will collapse. That’s a straw man.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

No, not necessary

So the US should be the only country that does not put tariffs on some imports? We must be special
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Our trade imbalance is not beneficial. Gutting various industries on the way to our glorious service economy was/is not smart. No amount of foreign treasury bond purchases are sufficient to offset that loss.

Moreover, some industries, like steel and aluminum, should be treated as strategic assets. Not accounting for perilous situations is dangerously irresponsible.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieJoe wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Our trade imbalance is not beneficial. Gutting various industries on the way to our glorious service economy was/is not smart. No amount of foreign treasury bond purchases are sufficient to offset that loss.

Moreover, some industries, like steel and aluminum, should be treated as strategic assets. Not accounting for perilous situations is dangerously irresponsible.
Yep. Thankfully Trump is smarter than the ankle biters here.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Yep. Thankfully Trump is smarter than the ankle biters here.
The dreaded Danville +1.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

No, not necessary
ie.. since the tariffs have been universally reviled by both the left and right wing media, you can't find any.
So the US should be the only country that does not put tariffs on some imports? We must be special
as a matter of fact we are special. we are the world's leading economy due largely to an adherence to free market principles. This has created an economy at the forefront of almost every industry in the world. putting in new taxes that impede the free trade of goods is counter productive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

No, not necessary
ie.. since the tariffs have been universally reviled by both the left and right wing media, you can't find any.
as a matter of fact we are special. we are the world's leading economy due largely to an adherence to free market principles. This has created an economy at the forefront of almost every industry in the world. putting in new taxes that impede the free trade of goods is counter productive.
It's just made the rich richer and the poor poorer. We have an obligation to take care of our own people by rebuilding the middle class.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

No, not necessary
It's just made the rich richer and the poor poorer. We have an obligation to take care of our own people by rebuilding the middle class.
Bernie Sanders agrees with you.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: I bet you can find people of both sides of the debate that think they are right, Stossel makes good points, other people make other good points. But yes the world economy will collapse if the USA does what other countries do

No, not necessary
Bernie Sanders agrees with you.

Only in recognizing there's a problem, not in solution.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:It's just made the rich richer and the poor poorer. We have an obligation to take care of our own people by rebuilding the middle class.
You sound like a democrat.

I do agree that the tariffs are a government tax that is put in place to take care of a small group of people at the expense of the larger populous.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:It's just made the rich richer and the poor poorer. We have an obligation to take care of our own people by rebuilding the middle class.

I do agree that the tariffs are a government tax that is put in place to take care of a small group of people at the expense of the larger populous.
a liberal democrat.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:

That's an argument for angry, simpleton partisans like yourself.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

That's an argument for angry, simpleton partisans like yourself.
The partisan angle doesn't work here.