Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Can someone explain to me

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:How Europe is able to produce and export steel cheaper than we can produce it here?

No political angle here. I just do not understand how that is possible.
You can't be serious?
Sure I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
miles

Post by miles »

Major Kong wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:So, based on 2017 data here's what I've found. US produced 82 metric tonnes (not sure of the units as that seems small, but the numeric figures are correct) in 2017. Imported 2.5 per month, on average, and exported 0.5 per month on average. So a deficit of 2 per month or 24 per year. Looks like about 30% imports. Interestingly US is operating at only 75% capacity, roughly.
Good info :!:

Just an aside...back in my smelting days (copper) I know that a great deal of primary feed for steel was recycled steel (we call it reverts).
My first job was at Roanoke Electric Steel for two summers while in college. First year evening shift on the yard, second year graveyard in the melt shop.
Electric furnace production (reverts) now accounts for some 70% of domestic steel production, with blast furnace production from basic raw materials declining over the past twenty some years from about 60% to 30%. Thank you ClintonGoreBushObamaEPA. Electric furnace production employs excellent technology and scrap metal recycling has always played a role in steel production. Recycling is not a long term growth strategy, however. Basic production from raw materials
is fundamental for growth.

Check these quick lists for info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_steel_producers
https://marketrealist.com/2017/10/a-loo ... -producers
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:How Europe is able to produce and export steel cheaper than we can produce it here?

You can't be serious?
Sure I am.

American Fender Strat - $1,200.00. Mexican Strat $400.00; Gibson guitar made in Nashville..$4,000.00; Epiphone guitar made in Taiwan- $300.00. Do I need to go on?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

You can't be serious?
Sure I am.

American Fender Strat - $1,200.00. Mexican Strat $400.00; Gibson guitar made in Nashville..$4,000.00; Epiphone guitar made in Taiwan- $300.00. Do I need to go on?
Which ones were made in Europe?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

You can't be serious?
Sure I am.

Woosh

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

You can't be serious?
Sure I am.

Woosh

I agree. You misread my question.

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

miles wrote:My first job was at Roanoke Electric Steel for two summers while in college. First year evening shift on the yard, second year graveyard in the melt shop.
Electric furnace production (reverts) now accounts for some 70% of domestic steel production, with blast furnace production from basic raw materials declining over the past twenty some years from about 60% to 30%. Thank you ClintonGoreBushObamaEPA. Electric furnace production employs excellent technology and scrap metal recycling has always played a role in steel production. Recycling is not a long term growth strategy, however. Basic production from raw materials
is fundamental for growth.

Check these quick lists for info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_steel_producers
https://marketrealist.com/2017/10/a-loo ... -producers
Ayup...people don't realize that when scrap metals grow scarce metal prices go up and different feeds are needed (at least this is so in copper & nickel smelting).

A lot of folks associate coal mining with electric generation but if steel production increases then "met" coal is going to be needed to produce coke...it would be nice to see the Jewell Smokeless Ovens cranked up to full capacity.
photo_plant_virginia.jpg
photo_plant_virginia.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 374 times
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:...it would be nice to see the Jewell Smokeless Ovens cranked up to full capacity.
Let's leave the holocaust out of this.