"Gunsplaining" (AKA citing facts) latest trigger for libs

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

"Gunsplaining" (AKA citing facts) latest trigger for libs

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

So now apparently when you try to educate a knee-jerking lib about truth regarding "gun violence" and what percentage of murders are actually committed with "assault weapons," you are being offensive & intolerant of their gun-grabbing / anti-Constitutional / tyrannical views.

We see it on here all the time. A lib runs on here and demands "action" (AKA laws that infringe on the 2A), and then when someone who's actually knowledgeable on the topic of guns & gun statistics tries to reason with them, they go off the deep end.

==========================================

WashPost: Facts ‘Bully Gun-Control Supporters’
By Matt Philbin | March 6, 2018 4:47 PM EST

And now, from the same people who see a need for 60 different gender options on Facebook, a complaint about gun defenders splitting hairs over word choice.

“While debating the merits of various gun control proposals, Second Amendment enthusiasts often diminish, or outright dismiss their views if they use imprecise firearms terminology,” writes Adam Weinstein in The Washington Post.
Has this happened to you? If so, you’ve been gunsplained: harangued with the pedantry of the more-credible-than-thou firearms owner, admonished that your inferior knowledge of guns and their nomenclature puts an asterisk next to your opinion on gun control.
Think of it as the counterpart to asterisk attached to everyone who dares contradict the pronouncements of the Parkland kids without having been in a similar situation. Creates a nice balance, don’t you think? Anyway, we all know gun controllers' tactics are unimpeachable. “Gunsplaining, though, is always done in bad faith,” asserts Weinstein.

“It can feel infuriating,” Weinstein goes on, “being forced to sweat the finest taxonomic distinctions between our nation’s unlimited variety of lethal weapons.”

It can also feel infuriating that the progressive arguments to confiscate guns are based mostly on raw emotion and fear, motivations no more valid and noble in dealing with gun ownership than with immigration or refugees. Gunsplainers aren’t the only ones arguing in bad faith. Gun control is power grab of opportunity. Activists have always tried to take human agency out of the equation (there is only “gun violence,” not “knife violence,” “baseball bat violence” or “automobile violence.”) Guns, rather than their operators, kill people. Why should we trust activists to talk honestly about the real attributes of the guns they’ve practically anthropomorphized?

Lefties are sticklers for categories and definitions in other contexts – remember, the Democrats are the Party of Science™. Why is it ok to allow a shocked, grieving public to believe fellow citizens are packing “military-style” or “assault” weapons? It’s not, unless it’s convenient to the cause.

(And there are actual military rifles in circulation out there -- guns that kill just as effectively and efficiently as they did 75 years ago. A semi-automatic M1 or M2 Carbine can hold up to 45 rounds of .30 caliber ammunition. A semi-auto 8-shot M1 Garand of World War II vintage fires 30.06 rounds – ideal for hunting dear. Deadly on humans. And you can bet if they were as scary-looking or popular as the AR-15, liberals would be asking why you need them.)

Weinstein knows all this. He says he’s “lifelong shooter and a third-generation gun collector.”
I know that an AR-15 is not a machine gun or an assault rifle, that its rounds are not high-powered, that it accepts magazines, not clips — any law that seeks to ban them should be written with precision.
Well that’s nice. If you’re going to infringe on a constitutional right, it’s only good manners to do it well.
But I also know that it, or a weapon patterned after it, was used in Aurora, Colo.; Newtown, Conn.; Las Vegas; San Bernardino, Calif.; Orlando; Sutherland Springs, Tex.; and Parkland. Whatever the causes — media sensationalism, marketing, “tacticool” military mimicry, easy availability — clearly, this rifle and its relatives are go-tos for a certain kind of American-bred killer. That’s worth at least addressing in a public policy forum.
Yes, it probably is. It’s worth addressing using facts. We’re under no obligation to help the left obfuscate and confuse the issues.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cultu ... supporters

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: "Gunsplaining" (AKA citing facts) latest trigger for lib

Post by USN_Hokie »

We're in a dangerous time in my opinion.

Phrases like "mansplaining" or "your truth" are rejections of fact based on emotion. Once you cross that line, what are the limitations?
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Yeah I read that Tuesday and just rolled my eyes...basically my thought to Philbin was how dare you correct my stupid uninformed argument with your damn facts :!:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I wonder how much mood altering prescription drugs have to do with all of this? People today are crazier than they have ever been. Logic is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I wonder how much mood altering prescription drugs have to do with all of this? People today are crazier than they have ever been. Logic is gone.

They were raised in a fantasy of "You can be or do anything!". They've taken this motivational thought literally.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I wonder how much mood altering prescription drugs have to do with all of this? People today are crazier than they have ever been. Logic is gone.

:mrgreen:

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

USN_Hokie wrote:We're in a dangerous time in my opinion.

Phrases like "mansplaining" or "your truth" are rejections of fact based on emotion. Once you cross that line, what are the limitations?
Nothing new. If you don't believe two men should be married = you "hate" gays. If you think crime is terrible in inner-city Baltimore and Chicago=you "hate" blacks. If you think that the United States should have a secure border= you "hate" latinos and are a "racist". If you are white and tweet that Antifa is violent too = you are a "Nazi" and "facist". If you are white, married, and raised your kids to say please, thank you, and helped them pay for college=you are a "white supremacist and "privileged". If you are white, you were born on third base according to anti-American Olympic coach Greg Popovich. And now if you point out that 99% of handguns sold today are "semi-automatic" and if banned would effectively be a total gun ban, like Australia = you hate children, have blood on your hands, have a small penis, are afraid of your own shadow, and enable serial killers, and need to move to a better neighborhood. It's liberal "logic".. the same people that think that males can get pregnant and carry a child and trannys are "normal".
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

I was listening to an interview with comedian Owen Benjamin the other day and he has a term for millennials (though the term shouldn't be limited to just them) I love: indoor cats.
Funny video. There's even a dig at Google experts. :mrgreen:
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

They were raised in a fantasy of "You can be or do anything!". They've taken this motivational thought literally.
Who raised them?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

I was listening to an interview with comedian Owen Benjamin the other day and he has a term for millennials (though the term shouldn't be limited to just them) I love: indoor cats.
For as much as you guys like to bitch about millenianals, it was your generation who created them.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:For as much as you guys like to bitch about millenianals, it was your generation who created them.

Speak for yourself :!: :mrgreen:

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

For as much as you guys like to bitch about millenianals, it was your generation who created them.

1. My kids aren't millennials.
2. Never denied that point - in fact, I've made it several times. I've given plenty of shirt to boomers in particular. Did you watch the video? He made the point as well.

How do you like your crow?

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... rs#p192745

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... rs#p200662

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... rs#p202412
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

LOL say What? I’d like to hear how we created them? This should be good.
Last edited by UpstateSCHokie on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:For as much as you guys like to bitch about millenianals, it was your generation who created them.

Speak for yourself :!: :mrgreen:
IP has only created diarrhea, to be fair.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

1. My kids aren't millennials.
2. Never denied that point - in fact, I've made it several times. I've given plenty of shirt to boomers in particular. Did you watch the video? He made the point as well.

How do you like your crow?

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... rs#p192745

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... rs#p200662

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... rs#p202412
OK.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
TonyHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech

Post by TonyHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:We're in a dangerous time in my opinion.

The really funny thing is that the woman who coined the phrase "mansplaining" wrote an article where she pointed out that women are actually more guilty of "womansplaining" then men are of "mansplaining." I could've told her that along time ago based upon my life experiences.

So why is it that nobody's talking about "womansplaining?"
Joe Biden is a smart man's idea of a stupid man, a rich man's idea of a con artist, a strong man's idea of a weak man and a woman's idea of a pervert.