Interesting stat: 2/3rds of student loan debt owed by women

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Interesting stat: 2/3rds of student loan debt owed by women

Post by USN_Hokie »

The article makes a puzzling conclusion that women aren't as educated on financing options and/or their parents don't pay as much of their tuition.

They point out that women hold (slightly) more debt leaving college - the explanation of the wider margin is that women are less likely to make accelerated payments on their student loans because they leave the workforce for the reasons women usually do (kids, less stress, etc.). Of course, the article just says wage gap.

The "no shirt, Sherlock" here is that a degree has less value for a woman who isn't going to stay in the workforce as long as a man.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/america ... s-why.html
Jack Galt
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: none of the above

Re: Interesting stat: 2/3rds of student loan debt owed by w

Post by Jack Galt »

"Millennial women (35 percent) are more than three times as likely as their male peers (11 percent) to not have completely understood their financing options when applying to college."
That’s sexist.
"Russia? The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” - B. Obama

BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I assume there is also something to career choices - software engineers pay off student loans faster than teachers.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:I assume there is also something to career choices - software engineers pay off student loans faster than teachers.
I believe more women are also attending college than men. A factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:I assume there is also something to career choices - software engineers pay off student loans faster than teachers.
I believe more women are also attending college than men. A factor.

56% is the figure in the article.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

Trouble is that many students feel no obligation to pay them back. It's the next bubble. The Government will reimburse the universities. That's what the for-profit universities do now. Bernie promised. Free money!
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:Trouble is that many students feel no obligation to pay them back. It's the next bubble. The Government will reimburse the universities. That's what the for-profit universities do now. Bernie promised. Free money!
It is the next bubble. But I don't totally blame the students. I blame the parents that encourage their kid to get a college degree and they get it in psychology and say good job.

Getting a college degree is no longer the ticket to the middle class as it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. It's much too expensive to do that now.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:Trouble is that many students feel no obligation to pay them back. It's the next bubble. The Government will reimburse the universities. That's what the for-profit universities do now. Bernie promised. Free money!
It is the next bubble. But I don't totally blame the students. I blame the parents that encourage their kid to get a college degree and they get it in psychology and say good job.

Getting a college degree is no longer the ticket to the middle class as it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. It's much too expensive to do that now.
there are jobs in that field, problem is not many and not many that are good paying jobs. But you are correct, rack up huge amounts of debt for a degree that results in job prospects that are not financially feasible to actually pay it back and have a normal young adult life
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

My hope is that the bubble bursting takes the underwater basketweaving degrees with it. The only problem with that is the underwater basketweaving majors are inundated with women and minorities...meaning there will be a lot of pushback.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

My hope is that the bubble bursting takes the underwater basketweaving degrees with it. The only problem with that is the underwater basketweaving majors are inundated with women and minorities...meaning there will be a lot of pushback.
AS dumb as this country is getting, we gave millions amnesty for entering the country illegally many years ago and we will do it again for the newest batch soon, so my guess is eventually we will have welfare for student loan debt and if you can prove you suck at earning money they just write it off
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

I feel sorry for them as they consider themselves smart and educated with such degrees. They think it's legitimate academics.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

AS dumb as this country is getting, we gave millions amnesty for entering the country illegally many years ago and we will do it again for the newest batch soon, so my guess is eventually we will have welfare for student loan debt and if you can prove you suck at earning money they just write it off
I don't give the government a pass on this. The gov't made it so easy to get the money for education that universities gobbled it up and raised prices exponentially so they can gobble more of it up. I don't feel sorry that the gov't is going to get to write down hundreds of billions. It was a big ole racket for a long time.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

I don't give the government a pass on this. The gov't made it so easy to get the money for education that universities gobbled it up and raised prices exponentially so they can gobble more of it up. I don't feel sorry that the gov't is going to get to write down hundreds of billions. It was a big ole racket for a long time.
newsflash, its not the govt son, its the taxpayers that take the hit. The gov. does not pay for one damn thing....the givers out here do!
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

newsflash, its not the govt son, its the taxpayers that take the hit. The gov. does not pay for one damn thing....the givers out here do!
Yes, it is our money but government decides on how it will be spent. Many Millenials don't make that connection, that the government spends OUR money. Here's a very brief video by PragerU on the subject.

https://www.prageru.com/videos/why-college-so-expensive
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

As a resident of a giver state, that makes me angry. You North Carolinians should be happy though!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Getting a college degree is no longer the ticket to the middle class as it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. It's much too expensive to do that now.[/quote]

My hope is that the bubble bursting takes the underwater basketweaving degrees with it. The only problem with that is the underwater basketweaving majors are inundated with women and minorities...meaning there will be a lot of pushback.[/quote]

AS dumb as this country is getting, we gave millions amnesty for entering the country illegally many years ago and we will do it again for the newest batch soon, so my guess is eventually we will have welfare for student loan debt and if you can prove you suck at earning money they just write it off[/quote]

I don't give the government a pass on this. The gov't made it so easy to get the money for education that universities gobbled it up and raised prices exponentially so they can gobble more of it up. I don't feel sorry that the gov't is going to get to write down hundreds of billions. It was a big ole racket for a long time.[/quote]

newsflash, its not the govt son, its the taxpayers that take the hit. The gov. does not pay for one damn thing....the givers out here do![/quote]

As a resident of a giver state, that makes me angry. You North Carolinians should be happy though!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

Well since I don't get anything from any fed, state or local gov. and the large amount of american dollars I send the state and feds they seem to take and don't return it to me, I would say that makes me a giver
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:

The state of Alabama appreciates all of your contributions.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Most if their residents don’t. Silly, poor, uneducated and unappreciative Rednecks.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Most if their residents don’t. Silly, poor, uneducated and unappreciative Rednecks.

I love how you rely on this stat, even though it is total bull shirt. Since the stat relies on concentration of industries and high earning people. Of course the states with less rural and more industries and workers will put more in than the more rural less industrialized areas.....luck of where industries located a long long long time ago
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I love how you rely on this stat, even though it is total bull shirt. Since the stat relies on concentration of industries and high earning people. Of course the states with less rural and more industries and workers will put more in than the more rural less industrialized areas.....luck of where industries located a long long long time ago
Silicon Valley didn't land in NoCal, instead of western Mississippi, because of luck.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Happy to help. My guess is that most people on UWS are contributing something to Alabama.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Silicon Valley didn't land in NoCal, instead of western Mississippi, because of luck.
correct, lots of factors and different situations led to that. Now it has gotten so expensive that alot of those companies are looking to get out of that area. The midwest used to be booming before the factories closed down, times change. But the stat is not worth anything, of course the places with more industries and more businesses and higher earners will contribute more overall than the more rural, less affluent areas. Charlotte is I think the highest growth and highest income area of NC, so it contributes much more to the state then most of eastern NC combined... it means squat
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

You misspelled black people...you know, the same ones who vote straight democrat 97% of the time. With every state, it's almost perfectly proportional - the only exception being Nolan's home state.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:The article makes a puzzling conclusion that women aren't as educated on financing options and/or their parents don't pay as much of their tuition.

They point out that women hold (slightly) more debt leaving college - the explanation of the wider margin is that women are less likely to make accelerated payments on their student loans because they leave the workforce for the reasons women usually do (kids, less stress, etc.). Of course, the article just says wage gap.

The "no shirt, Sherlock" here is that a degree has less value for a woman who isn't going to stay in the workforce as long as a man.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/america ... s-why.html
Lol.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.