Did everyone else get the announcement of "Giving Day" @VT?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Did everyone else get the announcement of "Giving Day" @VT?

Post by USN_Hokie »

I'm excited - what do you think we're going to get? :mrgreen:

https://givingday.vt.edu/giving-day/4619
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Did everyone else get the announcement of "Giving Day" @

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:I'm excited - what do you think we're going to get? :mrgreen:

Sorry but that new logo just does not inspire me to give. Think I'll donate to the NRA instead.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

You received an education and basis to earn a living that was established, administered and subsidized by the entity which you detest.

I presume it served you well as you left school to serve that same general entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

You received an education and basis to earn a living that was established, administered and subsidized by the entity which you detest.

I presume it served you well as you left school to serve that same general entity.

It was subsidized by me as a taxpayer and I paid considerably for it - thanks for the tip, though!
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Sorry but that new logo just does not inspire me to give. Think I'll donate to the NRA instead.

I was thinking that VT was a hotbed of bigotry...but then that new logo came out, what with its gaps and all, and now I KNOW that ours is an inclusive school. Whew!! Good thing we’ve got PC Principal in charge.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

It's what you already got.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

dang, why the heck didn't I get free school, my time and all services used were paid for with my dollars
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

dang, why the heck didn't I get free school, my time and all services used were paid for with my dollars
that's a separate discussion. yet the facts are, given the choice 10-40 years ago to attend a state school, or a private school, we all chose to go with the school run by the state.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

They've got to get the money from somewhere. State of VA only provides 25% of the schools operating budget and that's rapidly decreasing. VT doesn't call itself a public school anymore. Research Institution. I know that PO'ed the General Assembly when they did it.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

That logo sucks.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

That logo sucks.
I like it.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieJoe wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

That logo sucks.
Oh come on!! It proves we aren't bigots! We are open and inclusive
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

that's a separate discussion. yet the facts are, given the choice 10-40 years ago to attend a state school, or a private school, we all chose to go with the school run by the state.
I'll go ahead and file this with "Libertarians are hypocrites for using public roads", "people who want to close tax loopholes are hypocrites for taking advantage of tax loopholes", and other greatest hits from the underpants gnome logic school.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:They've got to get the money from somewhere. State of VA only provides 25% of the schools operating budget and that's rapidly decreasing. VT doesn't call itself a public school anymore. Research Institution. I know that PO'ed the General Assembly when they did it.
How do we pay all the athletes (pay them as employees) if the school is so broke?
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

That logo sucks.
Oh come on!! It proves we aren't bigots! We are open and inclusive
Partisan conservatives are offended by librul logos!
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:They've got to get the money from somewhere. State of VA only provides 25% of the schools operating budget and that's rapidly decreasing. VT doesn't call itself a public school anymore. Research Institution. I know that PO'ed the General Assembly when they did it.
How do we pay all the athletes (pay them as employees) if the school is so broke?
We don't...
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
The universities are swimming in cash provided by out of state and foreign students, bolstered by generous federal loan terms.

We're long past debating whether schools are getting enough money when they have enough to build dorms that look like castles (see upper quad), hire engineering education deans who think scientific method is sexist (see other thread), or have enough cash at an engineering school to blow on a dance theater:

Sands wants to run Tech like a private school with a big endowment. Have at it.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

As long as Sands is there, i give nothing. Other than what is necessary to get season FB tix.

And today, in civil war history class, we were told, "Abraham Lincoln was a white supremacist. Unequivocally."

He went on to say that "...the fight may have went on longer..."

THIS is what Sands has teaching at alma mater.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
We don't...
It is hard to have it both ways, right? The schools in division 1 are making buckets of money and should have no issue paying the athletes that are on the sports teams or the schools are not swimming in money and have to beg to get enough funds to run it.

I have some background with the state of VT finances anyways and the budgets were always tight, the school is not swimming in cash.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote: And today, in civil war history class, we were told, "Abraham Lincoln was a white supremacist. Unequivocally."

... What?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote: And today, in civil war history class, we were told, "Abraham Lincoln was a white supremacist. Unequivocally."

... What?
Truth.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

... What?
Fester approves as all people other than him are racist
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

... What?
It's not about approving or disapproving, cwtcr. It's about facts. The notion that Abraham Lincoln thought whites were superior to blacks on the basis of their race is not debatable.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

That is a fair point if a bit exaggerated.

And that is what the teacher said when i challenged him in class.

But the insidious part is that he uses a 21st century phrase, white supremacist, which at its base means racist, and applies it to the man who authored the emancipation proclamation. And he uses that term, one that all the kids have heard and understand to mean RACIST, in lecturing a bunch of 20 year old kids who see him regrettably as a role model and an authority on he subject.

By his definition, i would guess that about 98% of white people were white supremacists in 1863. Lincoln was a free soil guy. He was against slavery. But by using 21st century PC terms that mean racist, he is able to paint abe lincoln as a virtual klansman.

This teacher is all about racism. EVERYTHING is about racism. And 20 year old kids are the worse for it.

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

... What?
It's not about approving or disapproving, cwtcr. It's about facts. The notion that Abraham Lincoln thought whites were superior to blacks on the basis of their race is not debatable.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

I think you are underestimating your fellow student's ability to understand the point that should be made.

And of course the civil war professor is all about racism. the war was fought over slavery.
oaktonhokie wrote:That is a fair point if a bit exaggerated.

And that is what the teacher said when i challenged him in class.

But the insidious part is that he uses a 21st century phrase, white supremacist, which at its base means racist, and applies it to the man who authored the emancipation proclamation. And he uses that term, one that all the kids have heard and understand to mean RACIST, in lecturing a bunch of 20 year old kids who see him regrettably as a role model and an authority on he subject.

By his definition, i would guess that about 98% of white people were white supremacists in 1863. Lincoln was a free soil guy. He was against slavery. But by using 21st century PC terms that mean racist, he is able to paint abe lincoln as a virtual klansman.

This teacher is all about racism. EVERYTHING is about racism. And 20 year old kids are the worse for it.

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

... What?