Did everyone else get the announcement of "Giving Day" @VT?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Re: Did everyone else get the announcement of "Giving Day" @

Post by RiverguyVT »

BG Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:I'm excited - what do you think we're going to get? :mrgreen:

https://givingday.vt.edu/giving-day/4619
Sorry but that new logo just does not inspire me to give. Think I'll donate to the NRA instead.

That logo sucks.
Oh come on!! It proves we aren't bigots! We are open and inclusive
Partisan conservatives are offended by librul logos!
Offended? Negatory ghostrider.
Rolling my eyes at the virtue signal fail? Oh, ...absolutely.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Nope.

This is the same line of crap they've heard since 3rd grade. It's all of a piece. I doubt they think it is untoward at all. I doubt they think it is debatable.

I asked a student sitting next to me a few weeks ago what he thinks of the teacher. He talked about the tests and grading. I did not pursue anything. He did not seem concerned about the tone or tenor of the class.

Another student approached me after class before break, probably because i occasionally challenge the teacher. We talked for a bit, i told him that i believe the teacher has an agenda. I was not angry or passionate, not trying to convince him of anything, just stating an opinion. He said that all the history teachers seem to have the same leftist bias. He was neither alarmed nor particularly concerned, just ho-hum, statement of fact. He transferred from history to marketing for his major.

ip_law-hokie wrote:I think you are underestimating your fellow student's ability to understand the point that should be made.

And of course the civil war professor is all about racism. the war was fought over slavery.
oaktonhokie wrote:That is a fair point if a bit exaggerated.

And that is what the teacher said when i challenged him in class.

But the insidious part is that he uses a 21st century phrase, white supremacist, which at its base means racist, and applies it to the man who authored the emancipation proclamation. And he uses that term, one that all the kids have heard and understand to mean RACIST, in lecturing a bunch of 20 year old kids who see him regrettably as a role model and an authority on he subject.

By his definition, i would guess that about 98% of white people were white supremacists in 1863. Lincoln was a free soil guy. He was against slavery. But by using 21st century PC terms that mean racist, he is able to paint abe lincoln as a virtual klansman.

This teacher is all about racism. EVERYTHING is about racism. And 20 year old kids are the worse for it.

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote: And today, in civil war history class, we were told, "Abraham Lincoln was a white supremacist. Unequivocally."

He went on to say that "...the fight may have went on longer..."

THIS is what Sands has teaching at alma mater.
... What?
Fester approves as all people other than him are racist
It's not about approving or disapproving, cwtcr. It's about facts. The notion that Abraham Lincoln thought whites were superior to blacks on the basis of their race is not debatable.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:They've got to get the money from somewhere. State of VA only provides 25% of the schools operating budget and that's rapidly decreasing. VT doesn't call itself a public school anymore. Research Institution. I know that PO'ed the General Assembly when they did it.
How do we pay all the athletes (pay them as employees) if the school is so broke?
The universities are swimming in cash provided by out of state and foreign students, bolstered by generous federal loan terms.

We're long past debating whether schools are getting enough money when they have enough to build dorms that look like castles (see upper quad), hire engineering education deans who think scientific method is sexist (see other thread), or have enough cash at an engineering school to blow on a dance theater:

Sands wants to run Tech like a private school with a big endowment. Have at it.
It's a shame you know nothing about the financial model of your university and how it has changed over the past 20 years. VT is most certainly not swimming in cash -- far from it! It is scrambling to find new and expanded funding mechanisms to offset the significant reduction in state funding. Primary among these are research grants and endowment. Secondary is tuition increases, both in and out of state. This is a complicated issue that can't be dismissed with your bumper sticker sloganeering.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:They've got to get the money from somewhere. State of VA only provides 25% of the schools operating budget and that's rapidly decreasing. VT doesn't call itself a public school anymore. Research Institution. I know that PO'ed the General Assembly when they did it.
How do we pay all the athletes (pay them as employees) if the school is so broke?
We don't...
It is hard to have it both ways, right? The schools in division 1 are making buckets of money and should have no issue paying the athletes that are on the sports teams or the schools are not swimming in money and have to beg to get enough funds to run it.

I have some background with the state of VT finances anyways and the budgets were always tight, the school is not swimming in cash.
Then you know the athletic dollars and academic dollars are separate.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote: And today, in civil war history class, we were told, "Abraham Lincoln was a white supremacist. Unequivocally."

... What?
It's not about approving or disapproving, cwtcr. It's about facts. The notion that Abraham Lincoln thought whites were superior to blacks on the basis of their race is not debatable.
I think everyone understands that - the argument of the professor is more misleading, as well as being petty.

Trying to assign moral norms of today to the (distant) past is asinine.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

... What?
I think everyone understands that - the argument of the professor is more misleading, as well as being petty.

so you guys are triggered by "white supremacists" but OK with stating that Abe thought whites were superior? OK.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
We don't...
It is hard to have it both ways, right? The schools in division 1 are making buckets of money and should have no issue paying the athletes that are on the sports teams or the schools are not swimming in money and have to beg to get enough funds to run it.

I have some background with the state of VT finances anyways and the budgets were always tight, the school is not swimming in cash.
Not totally seperate, the university, any university has to pay for the sports teams as with any other program. If the athletic dept. creates a surplus it goes into the same university pool that funds the rest of the university. Yes, pledged dollars for specific say construction projects can be only used on that project. Same as when giving to VT for instance you can designate what dept. gets the funds.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

That arts center where Schultz used to stand looks like a waste to me...but what do I know? I’m not an expert on higher ed financing.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: I think everyone understands that - the argument of the professor is more misleading, as well as being petty.

so you guys are triggered by "white supremacists" but OK with stating that Abe thought whites were superior? OK.
Supremacist =/= superior.

Totally different. Words are important.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: I think everyone understands that - the argument of the professor is more misleading, as well as being petty.

Particularly if you are looking to be pissed.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

This is basic stuff. One can feel that whites are superior to blacks, yet not advocate white supremacy. Hell, I think that blacks are superior to whites in most sports. Asians are superior to whites in the SAT. Humans have and will always sort themselves by identity groups. Big effing deal - but feel free to remain pissed.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

This is basic stuff. One can feel that whites are superior to blacks, yet not advocate white supremacy. Hell, I think that blacks are superior to whites in most sports. Asians are superior to whites in the SAT. Humans have and will always sort themselves by identity groups. Big effing deal - but feel free to remain pissed.
Got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Got it.

You're upset that Lincoln felt whites were superior to blacks in the same way that you feel northern states are superior to southern states (the states with the highest black populations...). The only difference between you is that Lincoln did something to better the livelihoods of blacks.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

I only give to Athletics.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: so you guys are triggered by "white supremacists" but OK with stating that Abe thought whites were superior? OK.

Got it.

You're upset that Lincoln felt whites were superior to blacks in the same way that you feel northern states are superior to southern states (the states with the highest black populations...). The only difference between you is that Lincoln did something to better the livelihoods of blacks.
I’m not upset, but OK.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
We don't...

Not totally seperate, the university, any university has to pay for the sports teams as with any other program. If the athletic dept. creates a surplus it goes into the same university pool that funds the rest of the university. Yes, pledged dollars for specific say construction projects can be only used on that project. Same as when giving to VT for instance you can designate what dept. gets the funds.
No it doesn't. Athletic department surpluses stay with the AD.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:I only give to Athletics.
I only give to academics
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Athletic Dept budget is separate.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

How do we pay all the athletes (pay them as employees) if the school is so broke?[/quote]

We don't...[/quote]

I have some background with the state of VT finances anyways and the budgets were always tight, the school is not swimming in cash.[/quote]Then you know the athletic dollars and academic dollars are separate.[/quote]

Not totally seperate, the university, any university has to pay for the sports teams as with any other program. If the athletic dept. creates a surplus it goes into the same university pool that funds the rest of the university. Yes, pledged dollars for specific say construction projects can be only used on that project. Same as when giving to VT for instance you can designate what dept. gets the funds.[/quote]
No it doesn't. Athletic department surpluses stay with the AD.[/quote]

So what happens when the athletic dept. is in the red? fire coaches? or staff? Keep in mind that most stats you look at there are like less than 10 schools nationwide that show any kind of surplus ever.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

When football and basketball athletes get paid, I will give up my season tickets. Heck, they are barely students now.

Once they become professionals, their ties to the actual academic part of the University will be virtually nonexistent.

Paying athletes is a ridiculously stupid idea. All done and the name of socialist fairness. It is the ruination of college athletics and is on the horizon.

The quest for fairness. Once again causing disaster.

cwtcr hokie wrote:How do we pay all the athletes (pay them as employees) if the school is so broke?
We don't...[/quote]

I have some background with the state of VT finances anyways and the budgets were always tight, the school is not swimming in cash.[/quote]Then you know the athletic dollars and academic dollars are separate.[/quote]

Not totally seperate, the university, any university has to pay for the sports teams as with any other program. If the athletic dept. creates a surplus it goes into the same university pool that funds the rest of the university. Yes, pledged dollars for specific say construction projects can be only used on that project. Same as when giving to VT for instance you can designate what dept. gets the funds.[/quote]
No it doesn't. Athletic department surpluses stay with the AD.[/quote]

So what happens when the athletic dept. is in the red? fire coaches? or staff? Keep in mind that most stats you look at there are like less than 10 schools nationwide that show any kind of surplus ever.[/quote]
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

133743Hokie wrote:
I only give to academics
If giving to academics counted toward Hokie Club points, I would, but it doesn't.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I only give to academics
If giving to academics counted toward Hokie Club points, I would, but it doesn't.
And i don't care about hokie club points
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I only give to academics
I think all alumni who have benefited from their degree and have done reasonable well have a duty to donate some amount of their discretionary income at some point in their life.

FTR, I believe TMo2 went to Penn State.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

WADR, that's just stupid.

People can give if they wish. Or not.

The degree was not a gift. It was paid for and earned. It was at its core, a business transaction. Money was exchanged for the opportunity to attend classes, learn stuff and get a degree. Graduates have no financial debt or obligation to the university. Not saying they shouldn't give, only that there is no obligation to.

I bought and paid for my toyota. It was not given to me. It has served me well and made my life easier. Should i feel an obligation to donate to toyota for all the great things i was able to do because of their automobile?

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I only give to academics
I think all alumni who have benefited from their degree and have done reasonable well have a duty to donate some amount of their discretionary income at some point in their life.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:WADR, that's just stupid.

People can give if they wish. Or not.

The degree was not a gift. It was paid for and earned. It was at its core, a business transaction. Money was exchanged for the opportunity to attend classes, learn stuff and get a degree. Graduates have no financial debt or obligation to the university. Not saying they shouldn't give, only that there is no obligation to.

I bought and paid for my toyota. It was not given to me. It has served me well and made my life easier. Should i feel an obligation to donate to toyota for all the great things i was able to do because of their automobile?

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I only give to academics

If you feel the same way about your Toyota as your alma matter, I suppose your line of reasoning has logical merit.

Duty is a strong word, but I think it fits. It’s a personal opinion.