CFB Apologist

Re: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:True or False: 1 for 1, blacks perform better than whites in tennis and golf.

The fact that we're even debating the dominance of the Williams sisters makes my point.
I play at least twice a week when the weather is nice and struggle at times to keep a handicap below 18. A guy who I played sports with in high school - who happens to be black and was a much, much better athlete than me in high school - can roll out of bed and shoot an 82 with a few three putts and chilli dipped shots around the green, the first time he plays in months. I would characterize this result as typical, not atypical.
Not in my experience and not on any major or minor tour in the world. Your anecdote is cool though. My personal experience is that I have played with some black guys that were not "regular" golfers and all they could do was bomb a tee shot from time to time. I think there is a participation element, but that's an overrated factor, IMO- with the first tee, etc. many more black kids play today than yesteryear yet don't dominate junior golf. IIWII.
I'll make the same point as below. If you take a group of 10 people and rank them based on their documented ability to play basketball, football and baseball. You give those guys 3 golf lessons and 10 trips to driving range, and the same rank will generally hold.
I thought you played golf? You clearly don't.
So what factor would you use distinguish 10 people of similar training in golf? The premise, which you've ignored, is equal training.
Since this is 2018, and not 1974 I am not ignoring anything. There are scores more minorities playing golf today than even 20 years ago. There is plenty of access, there is the First Tee program, there are the "tiger" generation kids that watched him win the masters 21 years ago- they are of age, and playing golf. None of them are at the top of the pga tour- none- not 1, not a few, none. So no, I'm not buying your bullshit that if you put 10 black kids and 10 white kids on a golf range, the black kids would be better golfers after 5 lessons. Nope, that's horseshit. the object of golf is to shoot the lowest score- not dunk or jump hurdles.[/quote]

OK. What factor would you use distinguish 10 people of similar training in golf?[/quote]

Shooting the lowest score, genius.. that is what factor I would use. It's a combination of "skills", it's the mental aspect, it's short game, it's making decisions, it's about patience, it's shooting the lowest score. Golf is not about who runs the fastest 40 or is "more athletic" on the driving range. Small Asian women dominate the LPGA- they are short, skinny, and don't play any other sports. White men - outside of one person in the history of the game- dominate the men's game. 40 years ago they were the only one's playing it at that level, sure- but so were white women, yet Asians dominate that sport today. The "black" athletic advantage you say exists does not factor in for golf- at any level. Junior tours, college, Web.com, PGA tour, Euro tour. And it's not about "access" anymore- that's horseshit.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: I play at least twice a week when the weather is nice and struggle at times to keep a handicap below 18. A guy who I played sports with in high school - who happens to be black and was a much, much better athlete than me in high school - can roll out of bed and shoot an 82 with a few three putts and chilli dipped shots around the green, the first time he plays in months. I would characterize this result as typical, not atypical.
Not in my experience and not on any major or minor tour in the world. Your anecdote is cool though. My personal experience is that I have played with some black guys that were not "regular" golfers and all they could do was bomb a tee shot from time to time. I think there is a participation element, but that's an overrated factor, IMO- with the first tee, etc. many more black kids play today than yesteryear yet don't dominate junior golf. IIWII.
I'll make the same point as below. If you take a group of 10 people and rank them based on their documented ability to play basketball, football and baseball. You give those guys 3 golf lessons and 10 trips to driving range, and the same rank will generally hold.
I thought you played golf? You clearly don't.
So what factor would you use distinguish 10 people of similar training in golf? The premise, which you've ignored, is equal training.
Since this is 2018, and not 1974 I am not ignoring anything. There are scores more minorities playing golf today than even 20 years ago. There is plenty of access, there is the First Tee program, there are the "tiger" generation kids that watched him win the masters 21 years ago- they are of age, and playing golf. None of them are at the top of the pga tour- none- not 1, not a few, none. So no, I'm not buying your bullshit that if you put 10 black kids and 10 white kids on a golf range, the black kids would be better golfers after 5 lessons. Nope, that's horseshit. the object of golf is to shoot the lowest score- not dunk or jump hurdles.
OK. What factor would you use distinguish 10 people of similar training in golf?[/quote]

Shooting the lowest score, genius.. that is what factor I would use. It's a combination of "skills", it's the mental aspect, it's short game, it's making decisions, it's about patience, it's shooting the lowest score. Golf is not about who runs the fastest 40 or is "more athletic" on the driving range. Small Asian women dominate the LPGA- they are short, skinny, and don't play any other sports. White men - outside of one person in the history of the game- dominate the men's game. 40 years ago they were the only one's playing it at that level, sure- but so were white women, yet Asians dominate that sport today. The "black" athletic advantage you say exists does not factor in for golf- at any level. Junior tours, college, Web.com, PGA tour, Euro tour. And it's not about "access" anymore- that's horseshit.[/quote]

Shooting the lowest score. Got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.