Dashcam video from self-driving Uber fatal crash

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
TheH2

Re: Dashcam video from self-driving Uber fatal crash

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:the best question then again is who is paying the price for all these cars for the american population and anybody that cares about what they drive and how it looks is going to drive around with all the equipment mounted on it that a total self driving vehicle needs?

The price question is all the self driving stuff is not free, it costs quite a bit. So why is a non wealthy person going to spend the extra money that they don't have on a car equipped with that, or better yet how are they going to be able to afford it? Teslas are neat vehicles....that wealthy people buy instead of a porsche
First, technology gets cheaper, fast. The automatic braking, lane assist, blind spot detection, etc. are being put on all cars (at least for Toyota) very soon. Some of this stuff wasn't even standard on BMWs a few years ago. It's no different than electric windows, door locks, anti-lock brakes, etc.

Second, supposedly people won't buy cars. No upfront fee, no insurance, just order it up and a car will come pick you up.
People who know, know.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:This is the classic "solution looking for a problem". We don't "need" self driving cars on any scale in America. The infrastructure is not there, there are too many people, too many traditional cars. What we do need is better public transportation in big cities, but not self driving cars. Totally unnecessary. Also some humans like to drive, many humans are great drivers. And if your answer is "DUIs", this won't make a dent in those. If someone consciously leaves a bar too drunk to control a car, that same person is not going to hail for a driverless uber- they don't hail for cabs today, why would this change that? It wouldn't. could a few fender benders be prevented? maybe. Solution looking for its problem here.
37k deaths a year from traffic accidents. Millions of accidents a year. Traffic jams in most cities. DUIs, cost of ownership, insurance costs, shipping costs.

All problems that could be helped if not solved by driverless cars.

There absolutely a problem that is being addressed by this technology.
you think all traffic accidents will go away? how?

Because automated cars will never become distracted, will follow traffic regulations, and have a bunch of safety features beyond what a human can do.
What does self driving have to do with dui's, the computer still has to be told where to go and the car is going to know how to negotiate parking lots and parking decks. You actually think it is total self driving from point a to point b?
Yes... it is fully automated from point a to point b. Technology already exists. That’s what uber is testing in Tempe (and Pittsburgh)

Guess the drunk driver never needs to take a leak or decides he wants wendys fries on the way home
Then the drunk programs the destination to be the Wendy’s? How is this a problem?
your assumption is that all vehicles on the road are self driving...bad assumption
I’m not assuming that at all. The tests in Tempe and Pittsburgh are on roads right now intermixed with human drivers.

I also don’t think the number will go to zero. But it will be significantly reduced.[/quote]

the best question then again is who is paying the price for all these cars for the american population and anybody that cares about what they drive and how it looks is going to drive around with all the equipment mounted on it that a total self driving vehicle needs?

The price question is all the self driving stuff is not free, it costs quite a bit. So why is a non wealthy person going to spend the extra money that they don't have on a car equipped with that, or better yet how are they going to be able to afford it? Teslas are neat vehicles....that wealthy people buy instead of a porsche[/quote]

There is a reason that uber is leading the way with this testing... not the car companies. They see a model where they can offer rides to folks at reduced rate because they don’t have pay a driver. With this model, you may have an environment where robotic cars can even be deployed to hicktowns like mine.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

You know the diff between a self driving car and a normal car will really be software coupled with sensors. As we all know software scales in terms of costs better than anything else. My point is that these cars might not be much more money than normal cars in terms of costs. Even if the software was something like $1B to develop, that is only $100 each for 10million cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:the best question then again is who is paying the price for all these cars for the american population and anybody that cares about what they drive and how it looks is going to drive around with all the equipment mounted on it that a total self driving vehicle needs?

The price question is all the self driving stuff is not free, it costs quite a bit. So why is a non wealthy person going to spend the extra money that they don't have on a car equipped with that, or better yet how are they going to be able to afford it? Teslas are neat vehicles....that wealthy people buy instead of a porsche
First, technology gets cheaper, fast. The automatic braking, lane assist, blind spot detection, etc. are being put on all cars (at least for Toyota) very soon. Some of this stuff wasn't even standard on BMWs a few years ago. It's no different than electric windows, door locks, anti-lock brakes, etc.

Second, supposedly people won't buy cars. No upfront fee, no insurance, just order it up and a car will come pick you up.
then life will totally change for this country...... I am doubting that. Yes some large city folks will not buy cars, the rest of us still will buy cars. Yes in 100 years things will be different, then again per the climate folks we will not be here in 100 years
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:

FYI, toyota is not exactly cheap cars, you can buy the same suv from another mfg for 20k less than a forerunner. Yes, I agree things will change, but your speed of change is way off. Lets just hope the climate people are wrong and the planet is still livable in 50 years so your vision comes to fruition.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

FYI, toyota is not exactly cheap cars, you can buy the same suv from another mfg for 20k less than a forerunner. Yes, I agree things will change, but your speed of change is way off. Lets just hope the climate people are wrong and the planet is still livable in 50 years so your vision comes to fruition.
Their cars are priced at a premium but they do have "cheaper cars". For example, the Corolla is not a premium car. I think "safety sense" is standard on all Corolla's now. I believe my only estimate was when Toyota was making safety features that weren't standard on a BMW 4 years ago standard, which it appears was too pessimistic.
People who know, know.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Their cars are priced at a premium but they do have "cheaper cars". For example, the Corolla is not a premium car. I think "safety sense" is standard on all Corolla's now. I believe my only estimate was when Toyota was making safety features that weren't standard on a BMW 4 years ago standard, which it appears was too pessimistic.
4 years ago you needed a special plug to connect your ipod to a BMW.. so lets not pretend they are technology pioneers here. I've owned them- great engines, run on rails.. bullshit electronics and features. You are right about Toyota, although the difference between a corolla and Focus is not near what it was 20 years ago.