Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Dashcam video from self-driving Uber fatal crash

Post by BigDave »

https://apnews.com/74f6266086264bbfb0f6 ... tted-woman

There's plenty of blame to go around. The street was dark and the pedestrian is not illuminated by the headlights until the last second. But the pedestrian certainly should have seen the car and used some common sense. The human backup driver was not paying any attention and was looking down (presumably playing with her phone). And the car has radar that should have detected the pedestrian, even if the pedestrian wasn't illuminated by the headlights.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
PolyTech

Re: Dashcam video from self-driving Uber fatal crash

Post by PolyTech »

You sure that's a human driver?
#JusticeForNolan
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

This is the classic "solution looking for a problem". We don't "need" self driving cars on any scale in America. The infrastructure is not there, there are too many people, too many traditional cars. What we do need is better public transportation in big cities, but not self driving cars. Totally unnecessary. Also some humans like to drive, many humans are great drivers. And if your answer is "DUIs", this won't make a dent in those. If someone consciously leaves a bar too drunk to control a car, that same person is not going to hail for a driverless uber- they don't hail for cabs today, why would this change that? It wouldn't. could a few fender benders be prevented? maybe. Solution looking for its problem here.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

CFB Apologist wrote:This is the classic "solution looking for a problem". We don't "need" self driving cars on any scale in America. The infrastructure is not there, there are too many people, too many traditional cars. What we do need is better public transportation in big cities, but not self driving cars. Totally unnecessary. Also some humans like to drive, many humans are great drivers. And if your answer is "DUIs", this won't make a dent in those. If someone consciously leaves a bar too drunk to control a car, that same person is not going to hail for a driverless uber- they don't hail for cabs today, why would this change that? It wouldn't. could a few fender benders be prevented? maybe. Solution looking for its problem here.
The long-term picture is not that Uber would be the only driver-less cars - it's that all cars would be self-driving. You could go to sleep and let your car drive you. Or you could do work during your commute. Or anything you want.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

BigDave wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:This is the classic "solution looking for a problem". We don't "need" self driving cars on any scale in America. The infrastructure is not there, there are too many people, too many traditional cars. What we do need is better public transportation in big cities, but not self driving cars. Totally unnecessary. Also some humans like to drive, many humans are great drivers. And if your answer is "DUIs", this won't make a dent in those. If someone consciously leaves a bar too drunk to control a car, that same person is not going to hail for a driverless uber- they don't hail for cabs today, why would this change that? It wouldn't. could a few fender benders be prevented? maybe. Solution looking for its problem here.
The long-term picture is not that Uber would be the only driver-less cars - it's that all cars would be self-driving. You could go to sleep and let your car drive you. Or you could do work during your commute. Or anything you want.
Those sceanrios- safely and affordably in America won't be in my lifetime. When did the Prius come on line? and has that made a dent in the EV vs. gas car pendulum? nope. Traditional gas stations outnumber electric charging stations 98%-2 is I had to guess without looking it up. the entire gas car infrastructure is not compatible with either. That needs to change before this takes hold on any scale.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

This is a great use of technology that will significantly reduce the number of crash fatalities and increase the efficiency of our infrastructure. It isn't all or nothing either, along the way we are getting cars that automatically brake, stay in their lanes, adaptive cruise control, etc. that make cars much safer.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:
Am i the only person that drives that sometimes makes multiple stops in a trip? That has to go around say a road being worked on or a car broke down or a wreck? Does anyone think that the radar controlling the car will catch an animal entering the road quickly enough?

And sorry, I like to drive and there are soooo many variables in driving that I think the self driving thing could be fine for an all highway drive from point A to point B but does not work at all in rural areas or in normal driving.

Not sure how you replace all the cars, I have a 22 yo ford truck and have no intention of scrapping it anytime soon, prob going to do some major re-build on it in the next few years, doubt I will add in self driving when I do that. Also not sure how you are going to buy all of these very expensive cars for the people that can't afford a new car at all.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

37k deaths a year from traffic accidents. Millions of accidents a year. Traffic jams in most cities. DUIs, cost of ownership, insurance costs, shipping costs.

All problems that could be helped if not solved by driverless cars.

There absolutely is a problem that is being addressed by this technology.
Last edited by HvilleHokie on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
This is a great use of technology that will significantly reduce the number of crash fatalities and increase the efficiency of our infrastructure. It isn't all or nothing either, along the way we are getting cars that automatically brake, stay in their lanes, adaptive cruise control, etc. that make cars much safer.
my 2017 chevy has alot of those but it is not auto braking, it just gives a buzzer warning and cuts off cruise and the radio and throws a flashing red bar in the lower part of the windshield.... the only issue is most of the time I am not about to hit someone in the rear, it either catches a vehicle on a two lane road that the car for some reason thinks is about to run head on into me or a mailbox beside the road or it seems to do it when the sun hits the car the right way......thus why I won't buy a car with the auto braking... I can drive just fine
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
37k deaths a year from traffic accidents. Millions of accidents a year. Traffic jams in most cities. DUIs, cost of ownership, insurance costs, shipping costs.

There absolutely a problem that is being addressed by this technology.
you think all traffic accidents will go away? how?

What does self driving have to do with dui's, the computer still has to be told where to go and the car is going to know how to negotiate parking lots and parking decks. You actually think it is total self driving from point a to point b? Guess the drunk driver never needs to take a leak or decides he wants wendys fries on the way home
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
my 2017 chevy has alot of those but it is not auto braking, it just gives a buzzer warning and cuts off cruise and the radio and throws a flashing red bar in the lower part of the windshield.... the only issue is most of the time I am not about to hit someone in the rear, it either catches a vehicle on a two lane road that the car for some reason thinks is about to run head on into me or a mailbox beside the road or it seems to do it when the sun hits the car the right way......thus why I won't buy a car with the auto braking... I can drive just fine
I have dynamic cruise control in my car. When in this mode it brakes automatically and is pretty sweet. Do I rely on it to break, not really (I let it speed up and slow down on the highway). However it works, and it is nice to know that my car can brake if I miss something. It happens, that's why people with perfect driving records still have accidents.

It's also great for backing out as it alerts when anything is coming by from a car to a person. It will also apply automatic brakes. It also won't let me run into a car when I'm parking. There are a lot of accidents in parking lots, these will all be avoided by new cars released in probably 2020.
People who know, know.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Am i the only person that drives that sometimes makes multiple stops in a trip? That has to go around say a road being worked on or a car broke down or a wreck? Does anyone think that the radar controlling the car will catch an animal entering the road quickly enough?
Yes, computers are faster than humans.
cwtcr hokie wrote:And sorry, I like to drive and there are soooo many variables in driving that I think the self driving thing could be fine for an all highway drive from point A to point B but does not work at all in rural areas or in normal driving.

Not sure how you replace all the cars, I have a 22 yo ford truck and have no intention of scrapping it anytime soon, prob going to do some major re-build on it in the next few years, doubt I will add in self driving when I do that. Also not sure how you are going to buy all of these very expensive cars for the people that can't afford a new car at all.
You're a good driver, that's great. Think about all the crappy drivers that will all of a sudden not be behind the wheel. Technology makes things cheaper. The baseline cars for Toyota will start having all these safety features I believe next year. It's sort of like power windows and door locks, or a/c, or anti-lock brakes.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
I have dynamic cruise control in my car. When in this mode it brakes automatically and is pretty sweet. Do I rely on it to break, not really (I let it speed up and slow down on the highway). However it works, and it is nice to know that my car can brake if I miss something. It happens, that's why people with perfect driving records still have accidents.

It's also great for backing out as it alerts when anything is coming by from a car to a person. It will also apply automatic brakes. It also won't let me run into a car when I'm parking. There are a lot of accidents in parking lots, these will all be avoided by new cars released in probably 2020.
Sounds great. Does your wife let you drive it?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

What does self driving have to do with dui's, the computer still has to be told where to go and the car is going to know how to negotiate parking lots and parking decks. You actually think it is total self driving from point a to point b? Guess the drunk driver never needs to take a leak or decides he wants wendys fries on the way home
They already do. Besides, self driving cars won't need parking garages!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L22S2VGB5Xw
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

They already do. Besides, self driving cars won't need parking garages!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L22S2VGB5Xw
reality may crash the self driving party, we will see
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote: reality may crash the self driving party, we will see
It could. It's a goal worth reaching for though.
People who know, know.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I'm AOK with technology but the human element is still there...as I've said in the past we humans could phuque up a one car funeral.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:I'm AOK with technology but the human element is still there...as I've said in the past we humans could phuque up a one car funeral.
It'll be a long time before a car can drive where I do. Computers still can't navigate a creek or trail.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
Yep, and it will be revolutionary when it happens. It will probably destroy home values for neighborhoods in proximity to work locations as well.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Yep, and it will be revolutionary when it happens. It will probably destroy home values for neighborhoods in proximity to work locations as well.
Will be a decades long transformation. Ultimately, yes. But it will be a gradual rot till critical mass is reached of driverless efficiency to be realized. It would be better today if we could get these idiots doing the speed limit in the left hand lane out of the way. In Richmond, blacks are playing the role of Asians for some reason. When I go to Charlotte, it's the opposite with them driving 90mph. My hunch is it's a BLM inspired, passive-aggressive move. Or their response to the fake "driving while black" butt hurt. "Yeah, I'll just do 65 in the left hand lane MFer". A driverless car would give a consistent flow and remove the various assholes on the road, like the jerk that will crawl in one lane at the speed of the next, giving a mile of free space between them and the rest of traffic. There's a special place in hell for those douchebags.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

Because automated cars will never become distracted, will follow traffic regulations, and have a bunch of safety features beyond what a human can do.
What does self driving have to do with dui's, the computer still has to be told where to go and the car is going to know how to negotiate parking lots and parking decks. You actually think it is total self driving from point a to point b?
Yes... it is fully automated from point a to point b. Technology already exists. That’s what uber is testing in Tempe (and Pittsburgh)

Guess the drunk driver never needs to take a leak or decides he wants wendys fries on the way home
Then the drunk programs the destination to be the Wendy’s? How is this a problem?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

Because automated cars will never become distracted, will follow traffic regulations, and have a bunch of safety features beyond what a human can do.
What does self driving have to do with dui's, the computer still has to be told where to go and the car is going to know how to negotiate parking lots and parking decks. You actually think it is total self driving from point a to point b?
Yes... it is fully automated from point a to point b. Technology already exists. That’s what uber is testing in Tempe (and Pittsburgh)

Guess the drunk driver never needs to take a leak or decides he wants wendys fries on the way home
Then the drunk programs the destination to be the Wendy’s? How is this a problem?
your assumption is that all vehicles on the road are self driving...bad assumption
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

your assumption is that all vehicles on the road are self driving...bad assumption
I’m not assuming that at all. The tests in Tempe and Pittsburgh are on roads right now intermixed with human drivers.

I also don’t think the number will go to zero. But it will be significantly reduced.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

I’m not assuming that at all. The tests in Tempe and Pittsburgh are on roads right now intermixed with human drivers.

I also don’t think the number will go to zero. But it will be significantly reduced.
the best question then again is who is paying the price for all these cars for the american population and anybody that cares about what they drive and how it looks is going to drive around with all the equipment mounted on it that a total self driving vehicle needs?

The price question is all the self driving stuff is not free, it costs quite a bit. So why is a non wealthy person going to spend the extra money that they don't have on a car equipped with that, or better yet how are they going to be able to afford it? Teslas are neat vehicles....that wealthy people buy instead of a porsche
fatman

Post by fatman »

Accidents are the 4th leading cause of death in the US. Seems like an easy way to improve life in America.