Reaction to Gun Control March

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Reaction to Gun Control March

Post by 133743Hokie »

Good commentary on the ongoing gun control "debate".....
==================

"Indeed, while one would not have known it from the hyperbole, gun violence is not on the increase. Rather, it has been dramatically reduced over the last 30 years, even as the number of guns in circulation has doubled, the laws governing the keeping and bearing of arms have been loosened almost everywhere, and the Second Amendment has surged in popularity. Likewise, school shootings — which, it must be acknowledged, were already incredibly rare — have diminished in number. Had these developments occurred after the imposition of strict gun control, reformers would no doubt have claimed victory — just as they did in the nations that adopted an opposite policy to America’s and saw precisely the same trend line.

Bluntly put, there is no meaningful way in which students in the United States are being forced to march “for their lives.” Children today live in an America that is safer than it has been at any point since the 1960s. One’s chance of being killed in a school is around six times lower than one’s chance of being hit by lightning. Hideous as it was, the event that precipitated Saturday’s march was a classic “black swan” attack, the solution to which is not at all obvious.

Nonetheless, many of the marchers basked openly in the comforts of simplicity, monomania, and crass demonization. Evidently, the leaders of this movement do not respect those they oppose, and so they dehumanize them. They do not value the Second Amendment, and so they dismiss it. They do not know — or care — that hundreds of thousands of Americans use guns in self-defense each year, and so they cast the right as all downside. Their knowledge is shallow and their focus is narrow, as one would reasonably expect of teenagers.

These shortcomings can be forgiven in the youthful advocates; they, after all, were thrust cruelly into the spotlight of someone else’s volition. But one cannot be so kind to the adults who are encouraging them — and, in some cases, who are cravenly hiding behind them waving the bloody shirt. There is argument, and there is agitation. There is discourse, and there is propaganda. There is reflection, and there is reaction. The show that the marchers put on this weekend was untethered from reality and from civility. It deserves to be treated as such."

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... e-protest/

And a few others, all good reads IMO....

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... splaining/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... un-debate/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... ful-idiot/
CFB Apologist

Re: Reaction to Gun Control March

Post by CFB Apologist »

I have seen many instances on twitter where liberals get pissed at this and spout "who cares about stats" and "this is whataboutism while people get killed" It's insane really, you point out facts on how safe schools are and they reply with "kids are dying in schools and are afraid to go". Makes zero sense. Also my county (Howard in Maryland- very wealthy, very diverse) recently announced they are stationing a resource officer in every school. The reaction on the county FB page? "oh great, black kids are now targets in school and fear for their lives".. lol - an unarmed black person has never been killed by police in the county or even come close. It's a disease of propaganda now.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:lol - an unarmed black person has never been killed by police in the county or even come close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:lol - an unarmed black person has never been killed by police in the county or even come close.

Facts always eff your brain up. It's funny
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

One of the more epic takes I’ve seen on this board that no unarmed black person has ever been shot by the police. [emoji106]

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

One of the more epic takes I’ve seen on this board that no unarmed black person has ever been shot by the police. [emoji106]

reading is fundamental, he said in the county he resides in, I don't know if that is correct but it is possible. Then again you probably think the sacramento guy that was an idiot and got shot is a beacon for the morons at the BLM and their terrorist attacks on the city and their riots
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

nolanvt wrote:One of the more epic takes I’ve seen on this board that no unarmed black person has ever been shot by the police.
Are you serious Clark :?: This might be the complete hoser quote of the day.

The day is still young though.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I said in that county, you idiot. Can you read?