Maundy Thursday

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Maundy Thursday

Post by RiverguyVT »

Where would I have fallen, 2000 years ago, for or against Christ? I'm not so sure. I hate to say it; but, I may have been one of the ones against Him. Palm fronds one day, and a few days later shouting for Barabbas. You?

:(
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Maundy Thursday

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Where would I have fallen, 2000 years ago, for or against Christ? I'm not so sure. I hate to say it; but, I may have been one of the ones against Him. Palm fronds one day, and a few days later shouting for Barabbas. You?

you are persistent. I am not religious but have no issue if someone else is. Sunday morning are spent working on my place or some other activity. I go to church for weddings and funerals tho!.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote:Where would I have fallen, 2000 years ago, for or against Christ? I'm not so sure. I hate to say it; but, I may have been one of the ones against Him. Palm fronds one day, and a few days later shouting for Barabbas. You?

That’s the beauty of it man. We have all fallen short.....ALL. All enemies of God. But Christ said, “Forgive them for they know not what they do”........and the veil was torn.......top to bottom. We have direct access to God through the one and only mediator, the one Who has forgiven. We are reconciled by this free gift of grace! Oh what Joy!

We’ve been going through Luke leading up to Resurrection Sunday. These verses have just stuck with me. Christ is dying and grace is already freely given......to the thief and the Centurion.....

32 Two others, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him.
33 And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left.
34 And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments.
35 And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!"
36 The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine
37 and saying, "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!"
38 There was also an inscription over him, "This is the King of the Jews."
39 One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
40 But the other rebuked him, saying, "Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong."
42 And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
43 And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise."
44 It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour,
45 while the sun's light failed. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two.
46 Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last.
47 Now when the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God, saying, "Certainly this man was innocent!" - Luke 23:32-47
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Unless you were nailed to a crossbar next to him and had nothing to lose, we would by lying saying anything otherwise.

Aside, Garden of Gethsemane is probably the most surreal place I've ever been. I haven't been to many places though.
People who know, know.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

Many here would decry him for statements such as

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money"

"'I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me."
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money"

"'I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me."
wow, you assume alot
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

HvilleHokie wrote:

Name names.......since you think there are many......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:

What's wrong with you? You're inflammatory and antagonistic in proclaiming to be TheRealChristian. You undermine yourself.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieHam wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

St. Hillvillian doesn't even believe Jesus is the son of God. He's decried such as fundamentalist rubbish.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

St. Hillvillian doesn't even believe Jesus is the son of God. He's decried such as fundamentalist rubbish.
Could you post the link where I said that?
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

What's wrong with you? You're inflammatory and antagonistic in proclaiming to be TheRealChristian. You undermine yourself.
Jesus never commanded us to not be inflammatory or antagonistic. Quite the opposite.

Sorry you are offended...
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

You've said none of the miracles are literal. Follows that the greatest of them all would fall into this too.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

Jesus never commanded us to not be inflammatory or antagonistic. Quite the opposite.

Sorry you are offended...
You can't be serious.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:

My church voted to reinterpret that as Jesus saying you're full of it.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

You've said none of the miracles are literal. Follows that the greatest of them all would fall into this too.
Link?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote: Many here would decry him for statements such as

Link?
Search your posts. Let's cut to the chase, who was Jesus?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Maybe part of the rowd laying down palm fronds on the way into town, i expect. I donlt knowvthat i would have been part ofte crowd yelling "cricify him", although i dont knowvwhether i would have been stnding up for him either. Likely moreagnostic -- yes this Jesus is interesting and has some good thingsvto say, but i'm not quite convinved. Would have been intrigued by the charisma and the message, but probaby not enough to make any kind of public stand or die for it.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieHam wrote: Name names.......since you think there are many......
Link?
Search your posts. Let's cut to the chase, who was Jesus?
Well?
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

What can you (we) do in (y)our life now to change into the kind of person who might respond differently?
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

well?
His followers called him teacher. He taught lessons that are more important than ever. Lessons about eschewing wealth and taking care of the least of us. Lessons that we could all use in today's environment as we make decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Welpers since most of my family was from Northern Europe and Scotland, knowing what I know now 2000 years ago I would have been snapping up real estate in the Amesbury area. :D

Honestly though as a "normal" citizen of the Roman Empire I would have just chalked up Jesus as a loon (if indeed there was any news of him at all) from an outlying area that had no affect on me at all.

The issue for me is that message of Jesus didn't come about until many years later. It's at this point I would have taken heed of the message.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
His followers called him teacher. He taught lessons that are more important than ever. Lessons about eschewing wealth and taking care of the least of us. Lessons that we could all use in today's environment as we make decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money.
So I was right on you don't think he's the son of God?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
Christianity is not a system of government. Your interpretation of it as such is insulting and self-serving.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
So I was right on you don't think he's the son of God?
Appears so.

Also, mark this down as another thread where lefties try to argue that being a real Christian = empowering government to confiscate the fruits of labor and remove free will from the people.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:Welpers since most of my family was from Northern Europe and Scotland, knowing what I know now 2000 years ago I would have been snapping up real estate in the Amesbury area. :D

Honestly though as a "normal" citizen of the Roman Empire I would have just chalked up Jesus as a loon (if indeed there was any news of him at all) from an outlying area that had no affect on me at all.

The issue for me is that message of Jesus didn't come about until many years later. It's at this point I would have taken heed of the message.
That's my problem with the question. It's posed to us today in today's context, with the benefit of being exposed to the most read book in all of history. This is information those people didn't have, so how could you blame them - or even, possibly, yourself in their shoes?