Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HvilleHokie

Re: Maundy Thursday

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
His followers called him teacher. He taught lessons that are more important than ever. Lessons about eschewing wealth and taking care of the least of us. Lessons that we could all use in today's environment as we make decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money.
So I was right on you don't think he's the son of God?
I didn’t say that.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
His followers called him teacher. He taught lessons that are more important than ever. Lessons about eschewing wealth and taking care of the least of us. Lessons that we could all use in today's environment as we make decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money.
So I was right on you don't think he's the son of God?
I didn’t say that.
Was Jesus the son of God?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
Christianity is not a system of government. Your interpretation of it as such is insulting and self-serving.
I didn’t say it was..

But I’ll ask you a question...

Should Christian principles be applied to government policy?
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
Christianity is not a system of government. Your interpretation of it as such is insulting and self-serving.
I didn’t say it was..

Sure you did. No part of Christianity speaks to (for example) national immigration policy in a secular state.

What does using government to seize wealth/resources at gunpoint have to do with Christianity? That's what all (save, possibly warfare) your examples are concerning.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
I didn’t say it was..

Was Jesus the son of God? Yes or no.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
I didn’t say it was..

Sure you did. No part of Christianity speaks to (for example) national immigration policy in a secular state.

What does using government to seize wealth/resources at gunpoint have to do with Christianity? That's what all (save, possibly warfare) your examples are concerning.
So you think we live in a secular state? So Christian beliefs should have no bearing on things like abortion? Homosexual marriage?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
I didn’t say it was..

So you think we live in a secular state? So Christian beliefs should have no bearing on things like abortion? Homosexual marriage?
LOL. One doesn't have to believe in Jesus to be against abortion or homosexuality, though it's certainly a shortcut. That's not to say our country wasn't founded on judeo-christian values.

You, like VisorBoy, appear to be describing a theocracy where your own personal views of Christianity (ie, Marxism) are imposed on others by the state. That has nothing to do with the Bible or the values our country was founded on.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote: His followers called him teacher. He taught lessons that are more important than ever. Lessons about eschewing wealth and taking care of the least of us. Lessons that we could all use in today's environment as we make decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money.
I didn’t say it was..

LOL. One doesn't have to believe in Jesus to be against abortion or homosexuality, though it's certainly a shortcut. That's not to say our country wasn't founded on judeo-christian values.

You, like VisorBoy, appear to be describing a theocracy where your own personal views of Christianity (ie, Marxism) are imposed on others by the state. That has nothing to do with the Bible or the values our country was founded on.
People that don't believe Jesus is the messiah or son of God make that mistake. YBYSAIATroll uses Christianity as a facade over his Marxist views. I have VB in the same camp, though he may believe Jesus is the son of God.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
I didn’t say it was..

Yes. Of course.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
I didn’t say it was..

So you think we live in a secular state? So Christian beliefs should have no bearing on things like abortion? Homosexual marriage?[/quote]

You, like VisorBoy, appear to be describing a theocracy where your own personal views of Christianity (ie, Marxism) are imposed on others by the state. That has nothing to do with the Bible or the values our country was founded on.[/quote]

I have advocated no such thing. The fact that you think I have shows the limits in your ability to comprehend beyond the simplest concepts.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Name names.......since you think there are many......
Still waiting.........
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

HokieHam wrote:
Still waiting.........
I think it’s pretty clear by the folks in this thread who seem to bristle at my statement.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
I didn’t say it was..

You, like VisorBoy, appear to be describing a theocracy where your own personal views of Christianity (ie, Marxism) are imposed on others by the state. That has nothing to do with the Bible or the values our country was founded on.[/quote]

I have advocated no such thing. The fact that you think I have shows the limits in your ability to comprehend beyond the simplest concepts.[/quote]

It's quite easy, simpleton. You think your version of Christianity should be imposed on others. Read your own quotes above:
He taught lessons that are more important than ever.... Lessons that we could all use in today's environment as we make decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money.
When you say "we", it is in the context of government. Government officials acting in accordance to / on behalf of a specific religious edict is, more or less, a theocracy. Decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money are inherent government functions.

You would seize the fruits of my labor to support your policy on (more) immigration, (more) taxes, (more) welfare, etc..

One more time: what does seizing my property and will to use the fruits of my labor as I see fit have to do with Christianity? You think your religious beliefs should be the basis of government policy. What are you going to do when I don't want to play along? Let me guess....send people with guns to my house under the threat of violence and "crucify" me in court.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
well?
I didn’t say it was..

Yes. Of course.
Ok, then where's the line between miracles and what you described as fundamentalist taking the bible literally? Try and not be a troll or hate monger with this.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
I didn’t say it was..

I have advocated no such thing. The fact that you think I have shows the limits in your ability to comprehend beyond the simplest concepts.[/quote]

It's quite easy, simpleton. You think your version of Christianity should be imposed on others. Read your own quotes above:
He taught lessons that are more important than ever.... Lessons that we could all use in today's environment as we make decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money.
When you say "we", it is in the context of government. Government officials acting in accordance to / on behalf of a specific religious edict is, more or less, a theocracy. Decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money are inherent government functions.

You would seize the fruits of my labor to support your policy on (more) immigration, (more) taxes, (more) welfare, etc..

One more time: what does seizing my property and will to use the fruits of my labor as I see fit have to do with Christianity? You think your religious beliefs should be the basis of government policy. What are you going to do when I don't want to play along? Let me guess....send people with guns to my house under the threat of violence and "crucify" me in court.[/quote]
I took his statement to mean the collective "we", i.e. society in general and the American people specifically. Use that lens as "we" address all of those issues. How we live our lives, how we treat others we come in contact with, how we engage in the community, how we vote, and how we engage in the political process. I agree that it is a solid position to start from. Don't try and make more out of his statement than there really is.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HvilleHokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
Still waiting.........
I think it’s pretty clear by the folks in this thread who seem to bristle at my statement.
Who’s bristling at His statements? It’s your implied incorrect application of what is taught by Him.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote: I took his statement to mean the collective "we", i.e. society in general and the American people specifically. Use that lens as "we" address all of those issues. How we live our lives, how we treat others we come in contact with, how we engage in the community, how we vote, and how we engage in the political process. I agree that it is a solid position to start from. Don't try and make more out of his statement than there really is.
If that was the case, he'd have no problem answering my question. He's also had multiple opportunities to rephrase his position, but has chosen not to.

Representatives in congress should be applying their judgment within the constraints of the constitution when setting policy towards the betterment of US citizens, not religious edict. There's a lot of overlap there, but it's an important distinction. This should be something we can all agree on.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: I took his statement to mean the collective "we", i.e. society in general and the American people specifically. Use that lens as "we" address all of those issues. How we live our lives, how we treat others we come in contact with, how we engage in the community, how we vote, and how we engage in the political process. I agree that it is a solid position to start from. Don't try and make more out of his statement than there really is.
If that was the case, he'd have no problem answering my question. He's also had multiple opportunities to rephrase his position, but has chosen not to.

Representatives in congress should be applying their judgment within the constraints of the constitution when setting policy towards the betterment of US citizens, not religious edict. There's a lot of overlap there, but it's an important distinction. This should be something we can all agree on.
Hillvillian is a troll. He doesn't know what to do in a reasonable debate.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Many here would decry these statements:

For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it.

And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you,

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieHam wrote:Many here would decry these statements:

For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it.

And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you,
Yep.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieHam wrote:Many here would decry these statements:

Yeah. Eye for an eye. If you steal, cut off your hand. On and on. Literal use of selective text is dangerous.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

A founding and constitution based on Judea Christian principles. And nothing you said contradicts what i stated.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

A founding and constitution based on Judea Christian principles. And nothing you said contradicts what i stated.
I already said that earlier. I don't confuse that with VisorBoy/HvilleHokie version of Christianity, though.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
I didn’t say it was..

When you say "we", it is in the context of government. Government officials acting in accordance to / on behalf of a specific religious edict is, more or less, a theocracy. Decisions about immigration, taxes, welfare, warfare, and how to spend our money are inherent government functions. [/quote]

Why would they be in the context of government? I didn’t say government. You must put the government at a higher importance than I do. I believe in small government so it’s just not as important to me as it is to you.

One more time: what does seizing my property and will to use the fruits of my labor as I see fit have to do with Christianity? You think your religious beliefs should be the basis of government policy. What are you going to do when I don't want to play along? Let me guess....send people with guns to my house under the threat of violence and "crucify" me in court.

You seem to be showing your own biases here rather than arguing against anything I wrote.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

HokieHam wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
Still waiting.........
Who’s bristling at His statements? It’s your implied incorrect application of what is taught by Him.
You seem triggered by jesus’ words. Perhaps you should look inward and try to understand why.