Survey: 53% of college students don't believe in free speech

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Survey: 53% of college students don't believe in free speech

Post by USN_Hokie »

Read the whole op ed at the link. Pretty depressing overall.
And yet, when about 30% of college students favor censorship, it should be a cause for alarm — especially because that's up from 22% two years ago. Moreover, 53% of students believe "promoting an inclusive society" is a higher priority than protecting free speech rights. Over a third say it is sometimes acceptable to shout a speaker down, and one in 10 approve of violent disruption. The last figure may seem small, but it means some 2 million collegians in the United States believe it can be OK to use violence to stop speech they don't like.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html
RiverguyVT

Re: Survey: 53% of college students don't believe in free sp

Post by RiverguyVT »

I want to be shocked. I really do.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Of course. It's perfectly fine to slur people with "racist, bigot, fascist, KKK member, white nationalist, white supremacist, Nazi" with no proof or grounds. That's "freedom of speech", of course and nothing wrong with that. Rappers can also use the N word in every verse of a song- freedom of speech/art. Nolan and IP have openly stated they would be totally fine with a ban on the N word, and have it declared as protected speech by the SCOTUS, yes. Rappers and blacks would not be prosecuted, of course. Same logic here.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:I want to be shocked. I really do.
I believe Linsday Sheppard was shocked when she discovered this. Let's hope there are a lot more Lindsay's out there that wake up from this Orwellian nightmare.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)