So we had a group here protesting circumcision y'day

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

So we had a group here protesting circumcision y'day

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I did not know that there was a resistance movement to circumcision, but yesterday i was driving down the road and sure enough, there's a group of people standing next to a very busy road in our busiest commercial district holding signs. Some of the people in the group were little kids holding signs.

What is the resistance to circumcision? Do these people want us all to be heathens?

Is this group supposed to be some sort of joke?

http://www.bloodstainedmen.com

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
cwtcr hokie

Re: So we had a group here protesting circumcision y'day

Post by cwtcr hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:I did not know that there was a resistance movement to circumcision, but yesterday i was driving down the road and sure enough, there's a group of people standing next to a very busy road in our busiest commercial district holding signs. Some of the people in the group were little kids holding signs.

What is the resistance to circumcision? Do these people want us all to be heathens?

Well that made me laugh
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Not sure whether to take those guys seriously - but rationally, there's no real difference between male circumcision and all but the most extreme forms of FGM.

1. Removes important tissue from sexual organ.
2. Removes sensitivity.

The hygiene claims a myth in modern society. The only studies which show any benefit are in Sub-Saharan populations where AIDS and STDs are rampant.

The only reason nobody gets upset about it is because men can still climax after circumcision
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Not sure whether to take those guys seriously - but rationally, there's no real difference between male circumcision and all but the most extreme forms of FGM.

2. Removes sensitivity.

The hygiene claims a myth in modern society. The only studies which show any benefit are in Sub-Saharan populations where AIDS and STDs are rampant.

The only reason nobody gets upset about it is because men can still climax after circumcision
What I want to know is, what are the "16+ functions" that circumcision destroys?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:but rationally, there's no real difference between male circumcision and all but the most extreme forms of FGM.
Oh good grief.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:but rationally, there's no real difference between male circumcision and all but the most extreme forms of FGM.
Oh good grief.
If it's so absurd, you should be able to present a clear argument why I'm wrong. How am I off base?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Not sure whether to take those guys seriously - but rationally, there's no real difference between male circumcision and all but the most extreme forms of FGM.

2. Removes sensitivity.

What I want to know is, what are the "16+ functions" that circumcision destroys?
From a quick Google search:

I won't defend all of these (sunburn?) and they're kind of repetitive, but it does provide function.
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Oh good grief.
If it's so absurd, you should be able to present a clear argument why I'm wrong. How am I off base?
Millions of men in free societies are fine with their circumcision. Zero or very nearly zero women feel the same way.

Male circumcision is a legitimate medical procedure accepted by medical ethics boards in every state and in every free society. FGM is not endorsed by any medical board in any free society.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

I won't defend all of these (sunburn?) and they're kind of repetitive, but it does provide function.
And I can give you propaganda from PETA "demonstrating" that eating meat will kill you and destroy the environment. That doesn't mean they are right. You're posting propaganda from radicals, not legitimate neutral medical sources (e.g. a peer-reviewed article in JAMA).

PETA has a front group called the "Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine" that publishes propaganda claiming to be medical research opposing eating meat. But oddly enough, nothing they do is published in legitimate peer-reviewed medical journals.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:What is the resistance to circumcision? Do these people want us all to be heathens?
While yes, I'm sure they do want us all to be heathens, please note that in the New Testament, we are told that circumcision is not of spiritual benefit to the New Testament Christian. It is completely optional and of no more significance spiritually than whether you have chicken or steak for dinner.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

And I can give you propaganda from PETA "demonstrating" that eating meat will kill you and destroy the environment. That doesn't mean they are right. You're posting propaganda from radicals, not legitimate neutral medical sources (e.g. a peer-reviewed article in JAMA).

PETA has a front group called the "Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine" that publishes propaganda claiming to be medical research opposing eating meat. But oddly enough, nothing they do is published in legitimate peer-reviewed medical journals.
He asked what the 16 were and I googled it, then provided with the caveat that I wasn't endorsing. Good grief.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Oh good grief.
Millions of men in free societies are fine with their circumcision. Zero or very nearly zero women feel the same way.

Male circumcision is a legitimate medical procedure accepted by medical ethics boards in every state and in every free society. FGM is not endorsed by any medical board in any free society.
You're wrong with regard to acceptance of FGM, it's usually women who do the procedure in fact. Stop infantalizing women.

The rest of your post is just saying male FGM is accepted by western culture. We all agree on that.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

2. Removes sensitivity.

LOL, Wut!?!?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:I did not know that there was a resistance movement to circumcision, but yesterday i was driving down the road and sure enough, there's a group of people standing next to a very busy road in our busiest commercial district holding signs. Some of the people in the group were little kids holding signs.

With apologies to the abortion movement:

Don’t want one?
Don’t get one.
Salute the Marines
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:

With apologies to the abortion movement:

Don’t want one?
Don’t get one.
Well, not that I'm a "blood stained men" defender, but their point was that it should not be done to new borns. They think that the decision should be made by adult men for themselves.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Oh good grief.

How many men consented to having their penis cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote: How many men consented to having their penis cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the day I was born
The nurses all gathered 'round
And they gazed in wide wonder
At the joy they had found
The head nurse spoke up
And she said leave this one alone
She could tell right away
That I was bad to the bone
Salute the Marines
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

LOL, Wut!?!?
If it's silly, you should be able to easily refute what I said....
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

LOL, Wut!?!?
I'm mostly with USN here. To be clear, I don't really care what people do; but, once you ignore history, it's hard difficult to make a case for circumcision.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

LOL, Wut!?!?
I'm mostly with USN here. To be clear, I don't really care what people do; but, once you ignore history, it's hard difficult to make a case for circumcision.
Yep. To amplify - I'm not worked up over this, but it's only really done today for the same reason women have FGM - for cultural reasons (ie, moms worrying about Tommy getting called pencil dick in the locker room).
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

LOL, Wut!?!?
Yep. To amplify - I'm not worked up over this, but it's only really done today for the same reason women have FGM - for cultural reasons (ie, moms worrying about Tommy getting called pencil dick in the locker room).
I understand that circumcision plays a religious role in the Jewish faith. Does anyone know if there is a scriptural basis in Christianity to be cut?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

LOL, Wut!?!?
When the AAP studied circumcision, they determined that there were actual health benefits (fewer UTIs and STDs, lower rate of penile cancer) to circumcision. The health benefits were not overwhelming enough that they recommend everyone do it, but enough that they recommended everyone have access to circumcision and that 3rd party providers cover it. The risks from it are almost non-existent.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieFanDC wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

LOL, Wut!?!?
When the AAP studied circumcision, they determined that there were actual health benefits (fewer UTIs and STDs, lower rate of penile cancer) to circumcision. The health benefits were not overwhelming enough that they recommend everyone do it, but enough that they recommended everyone have access to circumcision and that 3rd party providers cover it. The risks from it are almost non-existent.
If I recall correctly, it reversed their previous finding, or a finding by another organization (CDC?) that insurance companies were citing to not cover it. It seems institutionalized to me.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

2. Removes sensitivity.

LOL, Wut!?!?
The studies focus on Sub-Saharan Africa where STDs/AIDS are rampant (or, only show a benefit there) . The cancer issue is also due to STDs. If you are banging lots of random chicks in Cameroon bareback, it might be a good idea to be circumsized (or, better yet, wear a condom :idea:) Otherwise, not really an issue.

There are also real risks - namely inflection - albeit rare. There have been studies that show there is real trauma, though I don't think there's a consensus.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:I understand that circumcision plays a religious role in the Jewish faith. Does anyone know if there is a scriptural basis in Christianity to be cut?
There is not. The New Testament says that circumcision and non-circumcision are of equal validity for the Christian and that there is no spiritual benefit to circumcision.