United We Stand - uwsboard.com

Virginia Tech fans discussing politics, religion, and football
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:36 am

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


UWS DWF UWS Lunch UWS Sports UWS Help TSL Football TSL Lounge TSL MBB Acronyms Top 25 Topics


Forum rules


Please be civil.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:36 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 32690
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Once again....Big Government to the rescue to save people from themselves.

Some thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.


Agry
I don't think this covers the breadth of problems. They're also collecting data on user who haven't accepted their terms. Google is a worse offender here as Google Analytics is in every major and mid site. All the ones that want to be found at least.


no, if you are on a social media site you have accepted their terms, if you do not then you are not on the site. of course nobody reads them
That's not true. They insert tracking cookies on sites without logins or get your data via a friend signing up and then importing contacts.

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am
Posts: 9743
awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Once again....Big Government to the rescue to save people from themselves.

Some thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.


Agry
I don't think this covers the breadth of problems. They're also collecting data on user who haven't accepted their terms. Google is a worse offender here as Google Analytics is in every major and mid site. All the ones that want to be found at least.


no, if you are on a social media site you have accepted their terms, if you do not then you are not on the site. of course nobody reads them
That's not true. They insert tracking cookies on sites without logins or get your data via a friend signing up and then importing contacts.


what social media site does not have a log in screen?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:42 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 32690
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Once again....Big Government to the rescue to save people from themselves.

Some thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.


Agry
I don't think this covers the breadth of problems. They're also collecting data on user who haven't accepted their terms. Google is a worse offender here as Google Analytics is in every major and mid site. All the ones that want to be found at least.


no, if you are on a social media site you have accepted their terms, if you do not then you are not on the site. of course nobody reads them
That's not true. They insert tracking cookies on sites without logins or get your data via a friend signing up and then importing contacts.


what social media site does not have a log in screen?
You're being tracked on this site by Google right now. Did you authorize that? You're tracked via scripts on the sites, not by logging in.

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am
Posts: 9743
me thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.[/quote]

Agry[/quote]I don't think this covers the breadth of problems. They're also collecting data on user who haven't accepted their terms. Google is a worse offender here as Google Analytics is in every major and mid site. All the ones that want to be found at least.[/quote]

no, if you are on a social media site you have accepted their terms, if you do not then you are not on the site. of course nobody reads them[/quote]That's not true. They insert tracking cookies on sites without logins or get your data via a friend signing up and then importing contacts.[/quote]

what social media site does not have a log in screen?[/quote]You're being tracked on this site by Google right now. Did you authorize that? You're tracked via scripts on the sites, not by logging in.[/quote]

I can't even remember if Dave had that boilerplate legal about the site when I signed up, i am guessing he does. I don't care though, I know all my stuff is already out there somewhere. I am sure i am on some gov. list for my conservative views


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20610
Party: Draintheswamp
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I can't even remember if Dave had that boilerplate legal about the site when I signed up, i am guessing he does. I don't care though, I know all my stuff is already out there somewhere. I am sure i am on some gov. list for my conservative views


Doesn't matter.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20610
Party: Draintheswamp
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
the disaster that is Zuckerberg they are cutting people off facebook that they deem to be meanies or bad or whatever...... some of those folks are black folks that like Trump. This is going to be hilarious watching the racist charges fly. Good luck facebook

Good on them for cleaning it up. Same with Twitter, for that matter.

That being said, Facebook's problem is a foundational one: their product has more competitors than ever. "Kids these days" don't use FB, preferring SnapChat instead, and considering FB as their parents' app for some time.

Unless it branches out to some other marketable functionality, it will devolve in the same manner as Friendster and MySpace before it.



Looks like I can count on you to bring the wood to the next book burning.


VisorBoy is one of the folks who's "intolerant of intolerance" and can't see the obvious conflict in his position.

He's not afraid to offend you when he tells you you're being offensive (as he censors you).
Yep, typical elitist.


Image

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:53 pm
Posts: 2888
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party
You guys would be amazed by the reports that come out of FB for the advertisers. We have a signup for a waitlist for a new product and advertise for it on FB. The reports they give you are a amazing. They tell you the income ranges, geographies and interests of people who engage with your ad. They provide metrics to advertisers that are pretty incredible really. When Shmuckenberg says “We sell ads”, he isn’t kidding.

I honestly think this privacy thing is something the media cares more about than the public. The newspapers are probably just pissed that he took all their ad revenue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am
Posts: 2817
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Once again....Big Government to the rescue to save people from themselves.

Some thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.


If you don't pay for it you are the product, not the customer. With that in mind, the internet could be different in 10 years... likely not, but it could be.


I like the way you put that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an important distinction for thinking about Facebook/Google which is different from any other large company that I can think of. In order to potentially regulate, including anti-trust which has been discussed here, that should be the focal point. Maybe consumers should own their data and purchase content.

_________________
People who know, know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am
Posts: 9743
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Once again....Big Government to the rescue to save people from themselves.

Some thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.


If you don't pay for it you are the product, not the customer. With that in mind, the internet could be different in 10 years... likely not, but it could be.


I like the way you put that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an important distinction for thinking about Facebook/Google which is different from any other large company that I can think of. In order to potentially regulate, including anti-trust which has been discussed here, that should be the focal point. Maybe consumers should own their data and purchase content.


the parents are not paying for tit pics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am
Posts: 2817
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Once again....Big Government to the rescue to save people from themselves.

Some thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.


If you don't pay for it you are the product, not the customer. With that in mind, the internet could be different in 10 years... likely not, but it could be.


I like the way you put that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an important distinction for thinking about Facebook/Google which is different from any other large company that I can think of. In order to potentially regulate, including anti-trust which has been discussed here, that should be the focal point. Maybe consumers should own their data and purchase content.


the parents are not paying for tit pics


Everyone's data is worth something.

_________________
People who know, know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20610
Party: Draintheswamp
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Once again....Big Government to the rescue to save people from themselves.

Some thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.


If you don't pay for it you are the product, not the customer. With that in mind, the internet could be different in 10 years... likely not, but it could be.


I like the way you put that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an important distinction for thinking about Facebook/Google which is different from any other large company that I can think of. In order to potentially regulate, including anti-trust which has been discussed here, that should be the focal point. Maybe consumers should own their data and purchase content.


the parents are not paying for tit pics


Everyone's data is worth something.


Except for Diggity. He once had his identity stolen and the thieves tried to give it back.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am
Posts: 9743
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Once again....Big Government to the rescue to save people from themselves.

Some thing called the browser act is being pushed that will ensure the US Gov has regulatory control over online services.

I guess we forget that when you sign up for a free service and have to agree to their terms you are agreeing to play by their rules. If their rules say that anything you post on their service becomes their property, then everything you post belongs to them. You don't want to give ownership of your cat pictures to little Markie.....don't post them to facebook where the terms of service say it belongs to them. The fact that you didn't read and understand the terms, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them and are therefore bound by them.


If you don't pay for it you are the product, not the customer. With that in mind, the internet could be different in 10 years... likely not, but it could be.


I like the way you put that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an important distinction for thinking about Facebook/Google which is different from any other large company that I can think of. In order to potentially regulate, including anti-trust which has been discussed here, that should be the focal point. Maybe consumers should own their data and purchase content.


the parents are not paying for tit pics


Everyone's data is worth something.


my point was if social media tries to morph into a subscription model it will go the way of the buggy whip. People are not going to pay to use facebook or snapchat


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: