United We Stand - uwsboard.com

Virginia Tech fans discussing politics, religion, and football
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


UWS DWF UWS Lunch UWS Sports UWS Help TSL Football TSL Lounge TSL MBB Acronyms Top 25 Topics


Forum rules


Please be civil.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 32709
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
[quote="ip_law-hokie"]I take from this thread that diversity is a bad thing. So. How do we become less diverse?
OK. Your pivot is tacit admission of making a silly point.


If you guys don't have a solution, you seemed destined to stay pissed. That's no way to go through life. Always pissed.
You're the one pissed and arrogant enough to think you're to write the rules for everyone else.


Got it.
Not really. Stay stupid my friend.


OK. Stay pissed.[/quote]That's you

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 6450
ip_law-hokie wrote:
I take from this thread that diversity is a bad thing. So. How do we become less diverse?

Build That Wall! :o


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20632
Party: Draintheswamp
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
vtrider wrote:
They need to stop trying to make "fetch" happen.

Seriously though, shouldn't we value Unity instead of diversity? We are all americans living by the same rules and with the privalege of being American. There is American privalege and no other form of privalege in this country.

Unity and diversity are in most cases not mutually exclusive. In those cases where they compete, I prefer diversity of background because it offers more perspectives on a given issue, as well as more competition in the marketplace solutions.
Wut? Diversity is the opposite of unity.


Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Diversity always works against unity. Visor seems to be making the tired false argument that lack of multiculturalism = isolationism. That's not true at all.


Leaving aside the issue of why you think people living only amongst their own race is a good thing, how do you propose we go about making this happen in this day and age?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I said nothing about race.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:20 pm
Posts: 11260
Location: New York, NY
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
vtrider wrote:
They need to stop trying to make "fetch" happen.

Seriously though, shouldn't we value Unity instead of diversity? We are all americans living by the same rules and with the privalege of being American. There is American privalege and no other form of privalege in this country.

Unity and diversity are in most cases not mutually exclusive. In those cases where they compete, I prefer diversity of background because it offers more perspectives on a given issue, as well as more competition in the marketplace solutions.
Wut? Diversity is the opposite of unity.


Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Diversity always works against unity. Visor seems to be making the tired false argument that lack of multiculturalism = isolationism. That's not true at all.


Leaving aside the issue of why you think people living only amongst their own race is a good thing, how do you propose we go about making this happen in this day and age?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I said nothing about race.


I see. What are we discussing?

_________________
"Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible." - DT(2013)

"We're not going to own it. I'm not going to own it. I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it." - DT(2017)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20632
Party: Draintheswamp
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
[
Unity and diversity are in most cases not mutually exclusive. In those cases where they compete, I prefer diversity of background because it offers more perspectives on a given issue, as well as more competition in the marketplace solutions.
Wut? Diversity is the opposite of unity.


Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Diversity always works against unity. Visor seems to be making the tired false argument that lack of multiculturalism = isolationism. That's not true at all.


Leaving aside the issue of why you think people living only amongst their own race is a good thing, how do you propose we go about making this happen in this day and age?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I said nothing about race.


I see. What are we discussing?


Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:20 pm
Posts: 11260
Location: New York, NY
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
[quote="VisorBoy"][
Unity and diversity are in most cases not mutually exclusive. In those cases where they compete, I prefer diversity of background because it offers more perspectives on a given issue, as well as more competition in the marketplace solutions.
Wut? Diversity is the opposite of unity.


Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Diversity always works against unity. Visor seems to be making the tired false argument that lack of multiculturalism = isolationism. That's not true at all.


Leaving aside the issue of why you think people living only amongst their own race is a good thing, how do you propose we go about making this happen in this day and age?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I said nothing about race.


I see. What are we discussing?


Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.[/quote]

Which religions are OK?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
"Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible." - DT(2013)

"We're not going to own it. I'm not going to own it. I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it." - DT(2017)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 pm
Posts: 9217
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Leaving aside the issue of why you think people living only amongst their own race is a good thing, how do you propose we go about making this happen in this day and age?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I said nothing about race.


I see. What are we discussing?


Cultural diversity, not racial diversity. Or who knows. Diversity is diverse and applies to more than one thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20632
Party: Draintheswamp
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Diversity always works against unity. Visor seems to be making the tired false argument that lack of multiculturalism = isolationism. That's not true at all.


Leaving aside the issue of why you think people living only amongst their own race is a good thing, how do you propose we go about making this happen in this day and age?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I said nothing about race.


I see. What are we discussing?


Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.


Which religions are OK?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What features of Islam would you like to integrate into our society?

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:20 pm
Posts: 11260
Location: New York, NY
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
[quote="USN_Hokie"]

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Diversity always works against unity. Visor seems to be making the tired false argument that lack of multiculturalism = isolationism. That's not true at all.


Leaving aside the issue of why you think people living only amongst their own race is a good thing, how do you propose we go about making this happen in this day and age?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I said nothing about race.


I see. What are we discussing?


Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.


Which religions are OK?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What features of Islam would you like to integrate into our society?[/quote]

Honesty.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
"Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible." - DT(2013)

"We're not going to own it. I'm not going to own it. I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it." - DT(2017)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:42 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 32709
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
[quote="ip_law-hokie"][quote="USN_Hokie"]

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Diversity always works against unity. Visor seems to be making the tired false argument that lack of multiculturalism = isolationism. That's not true at all.


Leaving aside the issue of why you think people living only amongst their own race is a good thing, how do you propose we go about making this happen in this day and age?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I said nothing about race.


I see. What are we discussing?


Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.


Which religions are OK?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What features of Islam would you like to integrate into our society?[/quote]

Honesty.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]LOL

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 1409
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 32709
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.
Nope

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 10465
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


All those groups assimilated, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20632
Party: Draintheswamp
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


Lol, no it isn't.

Here's a little secret - most of those immigrants went back. Only the ones who wanted to be here and succeeded here stayed. You can have more open immigration with a need for unskilled labor and a lack of a welfare state - neither are true today. Also, all those groups shared Christianity and western principles, allowing them to integrate (which still was not easy).

You deviate from my point, though. All peaceful, high-functioning societies share culture and have higher IQ. Below IQ 90, democracy cannot function. What do you think average IQ in Syria is?

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 1409
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


All those groups assimilated, too.


except for st patricks day, Italian restaurants, mel brooks movies, irish pubs, Columbus day, Seinfeld, pizza, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:21 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 32709
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
HvilleHokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


All those groups assimilated, too.


except for st patricks day, Italian restaurants, mel brooks movies, irish pubs, Columbus day, Seinfeld, pizza, etc.
That's part of assimilation dufus

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 1409
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


Lol, no it isn't.

Here's a little secret - most of those immigrants went back.


what? that's not even close to true.

Ireland has 30% less people right now than it did in 1840.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 10465
HvilleHokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


All those groups assimilated, too.


except for st patricks day, Italian restaurants, mel brooks movies, irish pubs, Columbus day, Seinfeld, pizza, etc.



LOL...uh, .no.

No “except”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 1409
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


All those groups assimilated, too.


except for st patricks day, Italian restaurants, mel brooks movies, irish pubs, Columbus day, Seinfeld, pizza, etc.



LOL...uh, .no.

No “except”


so you accept that when immigrants come here, they bring their culture with them. and that adds to the diversity of our current culture, religion, and ideas.

I'm glad I was able to bring you around.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 32709
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
HvilleHokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


All those groups assimilated, too.


except for st patricks day, Italian restaurants, mel brooks movies, irish pubs, Columbus day, Seinfeld, pizza, etc.



LOL...uh, .no.

No “except”


so you accept that when immigrants come here, they bring their culture with them. and that adds to the diversity of our current culture, religion, and ideas.

I'm glad I was able to bring you around.
Stop being so silly. You define assimilation around food items when to us Americans, it's about belief in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Not eating tacos as you dumb the debate down to. America is an idea that we're the best with the least government. Immigrants have to believe that to assimilate.

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 1409
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



Stop being so silly. You define assimilation around food items when to us Americans, it's about belief in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Not eating tacos as you dumb the debate down to. America is an idea that we're the best with the least government. Immigrants have to believe that to assimilate.


USN said it was cultural unity/cohesion. I was countering that. sounds like you agree with me. glad you and I are on the same page.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 32709
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



Stop being so silly. You define assimilation around food items when to us Americans, it's about belief in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Not eating tacos as you dumb the debate down to. America is an idea that we're the best with the least government. Immigrants have to believe that to assimilate.


USN said it was cultural unity/cohesion. I was countering that. sounds like you agree with me. glad you and I are on the same page.
I defined our culture counter to the asinine way you did. Not sure how that's agreement. America is an idea, you defined it as food and clothes. Assimilation is unity around that idea.

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20632
Party: Draintheswamp
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


Lol, no it isn't.

Here's a little secret - most of those immigrants went back.


what? that's not even close to true.

Ireland has 30% less people right now than it did in 1840.


That statistic doesn't refute my point at all, though my comment was in reference to the industrial period as a whole. I'll have to dig up the study I read.

You deleted the rest of my post - should I assume that means you either agree or don't have a response?

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:20 pm
Posts: 11260
Location: New York, NY
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



That's the same tired argument the protestant establishment used during the potato famine to argue against the irish immigrating.

And the jews in the 30's.

And the Italians in the 1900's.


The fact is all of these folks have immigrated into our society and made it stronger.


Lol, no it isn't.

Here's a little secret - most of those immigrants went back.


what? that's not even close to true.

Ireland has 30% less people right now than it did in 1840.


That statistic doesn't refute my point at all, though my comment was in reference to the industrial period as a whole. I'll have to dig up the study I read.

You deleted the rest of my post - should I assume that means you either agree or don't have a response?


You strike me as a debate team type.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
"Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible." - DT(2013)

"We're not going to own it. I'm not going to own it. I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it." - DT(2017)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't stand
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 20632
Party: Draintheswamp
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Culture, religion, ideas (its all really the same thing).

There are two traits of peaceful, high functioning societies: cultural unity/cohesion and high IQ.



Stop being so silly. You define assimilation around food items when to us Americans, it's about belief in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Not eating tacos as you dumb the debate down to. America is an idea that we're the best with the least government. Immigrants have to believe that to assimilate.


USN said it was cultural unity/cohesion. I was countering that. sounds like you agree with me. glad you and I are on the same page.
I defined our culture counter to the asinine way you did. Not sure how that's agreement. America is an idea, you defined it as food and clothes. Assimilation is unity around that idea.


The fact that all he could come up with is pizza (actually, pizza is arguably an American creation) and Italian restaurants speaks to how little real integration was required.

I guess HvilleHokie would equate those with female genital mutilation, honor killings, burkhas, etc.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”

― P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: