Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: When Barbara passes, can we expect

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:This is an odd thread.

One (some/many?) anticipated that responses from liberals would be mean, insulting, etc. For the most part, liberal politicians/public figures have been gracious and respectful. Some of you almost seem disappointed.

A few private citizens (liberals) have been absolute dirtbags (I'm not surprised, but I'm certainly nonplussed about what makes people that shirty - seriously, as I get older I come to believe there is a psycho-pathology associated with the need to be that crappy for what looks like no reason). I've seen more crap slung though by disgruntled conservatives who hold something against her because she expressed her disapproval of the guy who is currently occupying the Oval or because she once told them they were wrong about something or because she ??? Who knows.

What response from liberals would have been okay with some of you?

Silence (no acknowledgement of her passing seems disrespectful)?
Graciousness (seems that has left some of you unsatisfied)?
Outright hostility and mockery of her and her family (that would have at least provided an excuse for some of the responses to many of the well wishes Mrs. Bush and her family have received)?

She was a mother, wife, daughter, etc. She had a strong voice. I for one have found nothing for which to fault her. For those liberals out there who blame her for whom she raised or married, etc., that's just crazy. Incidentally, my favorite estimation of her character was something like "She was a good person, not necessarily always a nice person." I like that. When you've tried everything else, sometimes it is okay to abandon nice for what's right. I get the sense she was the mistress of that.
You and your husband were absolutely hateful turds towards her son and now don't understand why we'd expect the same sort of thing towards her from you two? Your hands are dirty too.
Leaving your childishness insults to the side, I get that you and I are politically/ethically/morally opposed. My "hands are not dirty" for disliking President George W. Bush's politics and decisions because they don't align with my values. I found him frustrating and stupid. Mrs. Bush passing away doesn't change that. I don't for one second believe Mrs. Bush was in any way responsible for her son's administration. That's nuts. You're taking issue with me for simply not agreeing with you about his presidency. Nothing I can say about that except, "Get over it. I don't care if my politics bother you."

That said, you likely should be able to make the distinction with respect to how absolutely wrong (not to mention illogical) it would be for me to in any way blame Mrs. Bush for the actions/beliefs/politics of her adult children. That's crazy.
It's more than that, in 2000-2008 y'all were just as personally insulting towards Bush( and even his daughters) as this professor. Her words are in alignment with the bile y'all spewed then. I remember when Jenna interned at a studio and y'all were snobbishly chuckling about Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston harassing her about her dad. So is it crazy to expect the same towards his mother? Nope. It's an uncomfortable truth, but y'all were a sewer of hatred, going way beyond simple disagreement and well into hating his existence as a human being. Hands are dirty from the dung flung during his presidency. Glad you seem to have calmed down with age, but don't forget how evil you were in expressing your dislike of Bush. You were were a lot closer to sounding like this professor than you may realize, but you and SD were certainly like that.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Once

Post by Once »

awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

One (some/many?) anticipated that responses from liberals would be mean, insulting, etc. For the most part, liberal politicians/public figures have been gracious and respectful. Some of you almost seem disappointed.

A few private citizens (liberals) have been absolute dirtbags (I'm not surprised, but I'm certainly nonplussed about what makes people that shirty - seriously, as I get older I come to believe there is a psycho-pathology associated with the need to be that crappy for what looks like no reason). I've seen more crap slung though by disgruntled conservatives who hold something against her because she expressed her disapproval of the guy who is currently occupying the Oval or because she once told them they were wrong about something or because she ??? Who knows.

Outright hostility and mockery of her and her family (that would have at least provided an excuse for some of the responses to many of the well wishes Mrs. Bush and her family have received)?

She was a mother, wife, daughter, etc. She had a strong voice. I for one have found nothing for which to fault her. For those liberals out there who blame her for whom she raised or married, etc., that's just crazy. Incidentally, my favorite estimation of her character was something like "She was a good person, not necessarily always a nice person." I like that. When you've tried everything else, sometimes it is okay to abandon nice for what's right. I get the sense she was the mistress of that.
You and your husband were absolutely hateful turds towards her son and now don't understand why we'd expect the same sort of thing towards her from you two? Your hands are dirty too.
Leaving your childishness insults to the side, I get that you and I are politically/ethically/morally opposed. My "hands are not dirty" for disliking President George W. Bush's politics and decisions because they don't align with my values. I found him frustrating and stupid. Mrs. Bush passing away doesn't change that. I don't for one second believe Mrs. Bush was in any way responsible for her son's administration. That's nuts. You're taking issue with me for simply not agreeing with you about his presidency. Nothing I can say about that except, "Get over it. I don't care if my politics bother you."

That said, you likely should be able to make the distinction with respect to how absolutely wrong (not to mention illogical) it would be for me to in any way blame Mrs. Bush for the actions/beliefs/politics of her adult children. That's crazy.
It's more than that, in 2000-2008 y'all were just as personally insulting towards Bush( and even his daughters) as this professor. Her words are in alignment with the bile y'all spewed then. I remember when Jenna interned at a studio and y'all were snobbishly chuckling about Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston harassing her about her dad. So is it crazy to expect the same towards his mother? Nope. It's an uncomfortable truth, but y'all were a sewer of hatred, going way beyond simple disagreement and well into hating his existence as a human being. Hands are dirty from the dung flung during his presidency. Glad you seem to have calmed down with age, but don't forget how evil you were in expressing your dislike of Bush. You were were a lot closer to sounding like this professor than you may realize, but you and SD were certainly like that.
Again - I don't like George Bush. I didn't then and I still don't. In fact, to say I don't like him is actually as polite and general as I can be. I could offer myriad reasons, but they have nothing to do with Mrs. Bush's passing, my respect for her, or the original question I asked. I thought his daughters were embarrassments of the adolescent kind. It seems that with age, they no longer fall into that category. None of that is news. However, I can make a distinction between Mrs. Bush and her relatives. I see no reason to denigrate her or her memory based on to whom she is related (again it would be both illogical and a little nutty). I admire what I knew about her. My opinion of her relatives, your opinion of my opinion, and my opinion of you don't factor here.

My original question still stands. What response to her death would have been acceptable to posters here? It seems that there isn't an acceptable response.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Again - I don't like George Bush. I didn't then and I still don't. In fact, to say I don't like him is actually as polite and general as I can be. I could offer myriad reasons, but they have nothing to do with Mrs. Bush's passing, my respect for her, or the original question I asked. I thought his daughters were embarrassments of the adolescent kind. It seems that with age, they no longer fall into that category. None of that is news. However, I can make a distinction between Mrs. Bush and her relatives. I see no reason to denigrate her or her memory based on to whom she is related (again it would be both illogical and a little nutty). I admire what I knew about her. My opinion of her relatives, your opinion of my opinion, and my opinion of you don't factor here.

My original question still stands. What response to her death would have been acceptable to posters here? It seems that there isn't an acceptable response.
I'm not sure why you're claiming there's no acceptable response. I don't see where anyone is disparaging respectful responses. You seem to be conflating why people expect more hate towards anything Bush with not cheering the polite offers of condolences.

Avoid it if you want, but you can't ignore the dung flung at Bush and his family. It wasn't kind, thusly we expect more unkind flying feces. That's a different question as to acceptable responses. Of course the hatred shown towards the Bushes undermine any sincere sentiment that may be expressed. But I haven't seen that called out anywhere? "I hope you die and your kids are gay" does undermine "sorry for your loss", no? I'm calling it out now.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

I’m glad you found this. Surely a second rate professor at a second rate school in the middle of no where making a comment amid the large numbers of respectful comments proves your point.
Fresno? Middle of nowhere?
Who knew!?
Fresno is kind of in the middle of nowhere.
Apparently river guy thinks Fresno is New York west.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

I’m glad you found this. Surely a second rate professor at a second rate school in the middle of no where making a comment amid the large numbers of respectful comments proves your point.
Who knew!?
Apparently river guy thinks Fresno is New York west.
Same type of people.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once

Post by Once »

awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

I'm not sure why you're claiming there's no acceptable response. I don't see where anyone is disparaging respectful responses. You seem to be conflating why people expect more hate towards anything Bush with not cheering the polite offers of condolences.

Avoid it if you want, but you can't ignore the dung flung at Bush and his family. It wasn't kind, thusly we expect more unkind flying feces. That's a different question as to acceptable responses. Of course the hatred shown towards the Bushes undermine any sincere sentiment that may be expressed. But I haven't seen that called out anywhere? "I hope you die and your kids are gay" does undermine "sorry for your loss", no? I'm calling it out now.
I wasn't claiming there was no acceptable response. I was asking what that acceptable response should be. Your statement above "Of course the hatred shown toward the Bushes undermine any sincere sentiment that may be expressed" does kind of answer my question about acceptable responses though. I can see your point IF you are operating as if people can't/won't make the distinction that Mrs. Bush is not her son or her husband and that she should be valued on her own merits. So far, most of the responses to her passing have indicated that people on the left (at least public politicians) are for the most part entirely capable of making the distinction. Not that you're speaking for the right-leaning members of the board, but it would seem that even heartfelt condolences on her passing, irrespective of anyone's opinions of some of her family, still aren't welcome or appreciated. At any rate, I know Mrs. Bush will be missed by many, including her family and there was a great deal to admire in her character. Her children aren't character traits, they are separate people with their own agency. In this, they don't factor.

With respect to my opinions on George Bush, I'm not avoiding it at all. Of course I wasn't kind. I don't like him. I don't respect him. I could go even further, but there is nothing constructive in doing that in this thread about Mrs. Bush. I won't apologize for thinking him odious. Not then and not now. However, I do not recall ever saying, "I hope you die and your kids are gay." That doesn't sound like me at all. My vitriol reads differently. My anger is no less ugly, but I doubt I ever expressed my disgust with George Bush using those words. Maybe SD did though. If that is the case, I'll remind you to make the distinction between him and me. We don't share a brain or a temper. My temper is worse than his and I admit I went for the jugular, but wishing death on someone isn't my M.O.

With regard to you attempting to chastise me for my opinion of George Bush, you'd have to have been a demonstrated paragon of measured debate responses and self control here, which you too have fallen far short of, to be able to pass that laugh test. I don't expect you to apologize for what I view as racist, foul, and evil sentiments you've expressed here. They are yours and I haven't been a model UWS citizen either. I doubt you honestly care what I think of you. Similarly, I just don't care what you think of me. We'd have to respect one another to give a shirt what the other thinks and that just isn't going to happen. Best not break a sweat trying.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:
awesome guy wrote:You and your husband were absolutely hateful turds towards her son and now don't understand why we'd expect the same sort of thing towards her from you two? Your hands are dirty too.

I wasn't claiming there was no acceptable response. I was asking what that acceptable response should be. Your statement above "Of course the hatred shown toward the Bushes undermine any sincere sentiment that may be expressed" does kind of answer my question about acceptable responses though. I can see your point IF you are operating as if people can't/won't make the distinction that Mrs. Bush is not her son or her husband and that she should be valued on her own merits. So far, most of the responses to her passing have indicated that people on the left (at least public politicians) are for the most part entirely capable of making the distinction. Not that you're speaking for the right-leaning members of the board, but it would seem that even heartfelt condolences on her passing, irrespective of anyone's opinions of some of her family, still aren't welcome or appreciated. At any rate, I know Mrs. Bush will be missed by many, including her family and there was a great deal to admire in her character. Her children aren't character traits, they are separate people with their own agency. In this, they don't factor.

With respect to my opinions on George Bush, I'm not avoiding it at all. Of course I wasn't kind. I don't like him. I don't respect him. I could go even further, but there is nothing constructive in doing that in this thread about Mrs. Bush. I won't apologize for thinking him odious. Not then and not now. However, I do not recall ever saying, "I hope you die and your kids are gay." That doesn't sound like me at all. My vitriol reads differently. My anger is no less ugly, but I doubt I ever expressed my disgust with George Bush using those words. Maybe SD did though. If that is the case, I'll remind you to make the distinction between him and me. We don't share a brain or a temper. My temper is worse than his and I admit I went for the jugular, but wishing death on someone isn't my M.O.

With regard to you attempting to chastise me for my opinion of George Bush, you'd have to have been a demonstrated paragon of measured debate responses and self control here, which you too have fallen far short of, to be able to pass that laugh test. I don't expect you to apologize for what I view as racist, foul, and evil sentiments you've expressed here. They are yours and I haven't been a model UWS citizen either. I doubt you honestly care what I think of you. Similarly, I just don't care what you think of me. We'd have to respect one another to give a shirt what the other thinks and that just isn't going to happen. Best not break a sweat trying.
Already covered it, couldn't separate hatred for Bush from his children and so same concerns with his mom.

But yeah, I don't respect vile snobs that argue over petty things, thusly being priggish rather than living up to the high self perception.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I'm not dissatisfied in the least. The left has been so unhinged these last few years, I thought it a reasonable question to ask what everyone was expecting to be the reaction to her death.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Once

Post by Once »

RiverguyVT wrote:

I'm not dissatisfied in the least. The left has been so unhinged these last few years, I thought it a reasonable question to ask what everyone was expecting to be the reaction to her death.
I think it was a reasonable question too. It was the responses to your reasonable question that prompted me to ask my question. With respect to the left being unhinged for the last few years. Absolutely. I think the difference in opinions center around the WHY of that. History books may very well treat the last few years as the point at which the wheels began to fall off. It is also possible that history books may also back it up 8 years and consider the current presidency a direct response to the one before it (opposition to President Obama causing voters to wildly swing toward the election of President Trump) OR they could say it was the Democrats' complete and utter inability to put forth a likable candidate who wasn't most likely a criminal, etc. I don't know. I of course being very liberal see some pretty solid reasons why the left is angry. I get it. I also can see that many more moderate Republicans/conservatives are frustrated by him too, but given their employment situations/where their bread is buttered, they have to be more measured in their responses/public speech. I don't know how it will shake out. Literally, anything is possible. No one is playing by the same old political rules anymore, which makes it hard to speculate. Poor poor Nate Silver. :lol:

NONE of that explains Roger Stone, Stormy Daniels, an alleged bed tinkled in by prostitutes in Moscow, Hillary Clinton not shutting up and retiring quietly to the woods (Oh, I wish she just would stop giving quotes and go away), Michael Cohen's HELOC, Mr. Trump's complicatedly orchestrated hairdo and orange face, Hillary Clinton's bizarre inability to look and sound human and approachable, the left's fascination with President Trump's fried chicken habit, and Alex Jones (seriously - Alex Jones - and I mean everything about him - I just find bizarre).
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

Who knew!?
San Francisco south

Fresno is san Francisco south in the same way that Danville is Washington dc south.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

Who knew!?
San Francisco south

Fresno is san Francisco south in the same way that Danville is Washington dc south.
Not really. More like Freddyberg or Manassas in terms of culture. Still closer to SF than civilized America.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HooFighter wrote:
They were so enamored by the Bush family that they ransacked the White House like white trash when her son won.
I don’t see this as a good time for partisan hate.

RIP Barbara Bush. You were a classy First Lady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Umm...this whole thread is partisan.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:Image
WTF is this supposed to be?
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

Humor that didn’t come from 4chan or r/thedonald so you probably haven’t seen it.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HooFighter wrote:Humor that didn’t come from 4chan or r/thedonald so you probably haven’t seen it.
Atta boy, keep up that hate
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:Humor that didn’t come from 4chan or r/thedonald so you probably haven’t seen it.
Yes, it's so funny I have no idea what it is. Can you help?
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

You see, the gentleman on the left is named Jim Morrison. He was the lead singer of a (very overrated) rock band in the 1960’s called The Doors. He was notorious for his bad behavior and drug abuse. He died in 1971 of a drug overdose. His persona is very different from that of the late First Lady, who by all accounts was a good patriotic christian woman. The irony of these two very different people purportedly being married is intended to be light humor. Good for a little chuckle ha ha.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HooFighter wrote:
They were so enamored by the Bush family that they ransacked the White House like white trash when her son won.
I don’t see this as a good time for partisan hate.

RIP Barbara Bush. You were a classy First Lady.

Umm...this whole thread is partisan.
Fair point.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HooFighter wrote:You see, the gentleman on the left is named Jim Morrison. He was the lead singer of a (very overrated) rock band in the 1960’s called The Doors. He was notorious for his bad behavior and drug abuse. He died in 1971 of a drug overdose. His persona is very different from that of the late First Lady, who by all accounts was a good patriotic christian woman. The irony of these two very different people purportedly being married is intended to be light humor. Good for a little chuckle ha ha.
Like Stone's comments, calling her a junky. Your humor is the type of thing Riverguy was looking for. Congrats.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HooFighter wrote:You see, the gentleman on the left is named Jim Morrison. He was the lead singer of a (very overrated) rock band in the 1960’s called The Doors. He was notorious for his bad behavior and drug abuse. He died in 1971 of a drug overdose. His persona is very different from that of the late First Lady, who by all accounts was a good patriotic christian woman. The irony of these two very different people purportedly being married is intended to be light humor. Good for a little chuckle ha ha.
The Doors were not overrated. The Grateful Dead? Now that's another story.
Last edited by HokieJoe on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
The Doors were not overrated. The Greatful Dead? Now that's another story.
Nope.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Nope.

Sorry
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Nope.

Sorry
I’m OK with you being incorrect.