The best barbecue in your town is...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: The best barbecue in your town is...

Post by awesome guy »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:That's it, how ever you like barbeque is ok and where you go. Taste is an individual experience. But that stuff isn't winning competitions now.
But you like Q’s which isn’t any great shakes.
Can’t beat Buzz’s ribs in RVA...
Nope, you just can't judge it.
I'll go more into that, tenderness is objective. Perfectly tender q should dissolve in your mouth in 10 seconds. Faster than that and it's over cooked, longer and under cooked. Taste is subjective and personal. Appearance is both, should look clean and be only lettuce in the box with a mahogany color. Only time I really dock on that is if someone uses kale, which is a dq on appearances or pooling sauce, another dq. Qs nails these qualities better than others consistently. Especially their burnt ends, they're the best single item in Richmond. Back to crushing striper now, the river is really picking up tonight.
Only thing I'll say is that I've had dried out, disappointing barbecue (brisket...anyone can smoke a pork butt) from joints with trophies all over their walls before.
Qs is owned and operated by Tuffy Stone, the guy on Barbeque Pitt Masters. He's legit.
Buzz and Neds beat Bobby Flay on his Showdown show, they're no slouches either. I kinda lied above, the guy making the best barbeque in RVA is me! Haha, except chicken and brisket. I'd place with ribs and pulled pork. I haven't figured out a great brisket yet. But that's from me spending my time figuring out a great venison hind quarter. That could be Anything Butt categories, but isn't a standard meat in competition.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:....crap

probably Famous Dave's. I live in a food wasteland.
There's a place in Arlington that's decent.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

Haven't lived in Vienna in almost 10 years. I am in Iowa, where there is no decent seafood, pizza or barbecue. Pork chops and pork tenderloins are the only thing of note here.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Jesus man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Haven't lived in Vienna in almost 10 years. I am in Iowa, where there is no decent seafood, pizza or barbecue. Pork chops and pork tenderloins are the only thing of note here.
Join the Kansas City Barbeque Society. Then you can be a judge and invited to eat the best barbeque on the planet. You'll get about 2.5 pounds of cooked meat in a competition. I bring a cooler to hold the leftovers, but cheery picking does occur. The best stuff is consumed on site. And the worst stuff is typically better than any meal at a restaurant. Unless the cooks are complete noobs and do something stupid like using lighter fluid to start their fire.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Jesus man.

I got a 39 inch striper. NY can't hang with us.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:I haven't figured out a great brisket yet. But that's from me spending my time figuring out a great venison hind quarter. That could be Anything Butt categories, but isn't a standard meat in competition.
I know this is blasphemy / "not real BBQ" , but try sous vide'ing a brisket flat (I do 24hrs at 145, then 24hrs at 135, 48hrs total) with your dry rub of choice, then finish with a smoke (I've tried smoking first and it doesn't work for some reason) - or if you feel like being more blasphemous - use liquid smoke.

I've tried a whole brisket and there's not enough heat to render the point in my opinion. It's quite good - particularly when the weather isn't friendly for cooking outside.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:I haven't figured out a great brisket yet. But that's from me spending my time figuring out a great venison hind quarter. That could be Anything Butt categories, but isn't a standard meat in competition.
I know this is blasphemy / "not real BBQ" , but try sous vide'ing a brisket flat (I do 24hrs at 145, then 24hrs at 135, 48hrs total) with your dry rub of choice, then finish with a smoke (I've tried smoking first and it doesn't work for some reason) - or if you feel like being more blasphemous - use liquid smoke. I've tried a whole brisket and there's not enough heat to render the point in my opinion.
Yeah, not staining my barbeque soul with that unless I did it as corned beef.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Jesus man.

Famous Dave's is the Domino's of BBQ.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Jesus man.

Got it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.angler ... ord-holder

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I know this is blasphemy / "not real BBQ" , but try sous vide'ing a brisket flat (I do 24hrs at 145, then 24hrs at 135, 48hrs total) with your dry rub of choice, then finish with a smoke (I've tried smoking first and it doesn't work for some reason) - or if you feel like being more blasphemous - use liquid smoke. I've tried a whole brisket and there's not enough heat to render the point in my opinion.
I'm telling you, tough cuts of meat is where sous vide shines. Short ribs, back ribs, brisket, chuck (pot roast), etc.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Jesus man.

Got it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.angler ... ord-holder

We can't weight ours like that as they're spawning and out of season. So they're fatter with eggs, but you're a poacher if you keep one to weigh. 90% of all stripers spawn in the Chesapeake and tributaries, so those same fish are here now, but fat with eggs and getting their freak on. We win, hands down. We're not even freezing or dealing with yankees to catch them.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I'm telling you, tough cuts of meat is where sous vide shines. Short ribs, back ribs, brisket, chuck (pot roast), etc.
I don't doubt that as it's breaking down fibers in the slow cook. I'm still not calling that barbeque or passing it off as such. Will likely try it though.
Last edited by awesome guy on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

TD’s??!! They’re great.

Q’s!?

LOL...credibility lost

Buzz & Neds
Hands down.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:TD’s??!! They’re great.

Q’s!?

LOL...credibility lost

Buzz & Neds
Hands down.
Yeah, your credibility is lost. I'm a barbeque eating and judging machine!
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I live in one of the Carolina's so pork BBQ is the only BBQ. Beef BBQ is sacrilege here.

We have several local places that have great pulled pork, but the sauces are what differentiates these places. For me, the best local place for both the meat and the sauce is Charlies BBQ.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Q's is better in my opinion
Qs, Buzz and Ned's, Alexander's, Extra Billy's are all good. Would eat Pierce's when I travelled that way on business.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Jack Galt wrote:
HooFighter wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:...and balance is restored to the universe.
I suppose you only feel really complete when you are able to find something that allows you to hate on the libs.
Haters gonna hate. IIWII. It's not the best BBQ I've had, but it's close by and pretty good. I know folks who go there every time they come to town.
That's it, how ever you like barbeque is ok and where you go. Taste is an individual experience. But that stuff isn't winning competitions now.
But you like Q’s which isn’t any great shakes.
Can’t beat Buzz’s ribs in RVA...
Qs ribs actually may be better
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Mine... easily. I live in Columbia, Md. My competition is Famous Daves and Mission BBQ. My que blows them away!
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:Mine... easily. I live in Columbia, Md. My competition is Famous Daves and Mission BBQ. My que blows them away!
It's not "real" BBQ per se (I don't think they cook stuff on site), but Mission BBQ is consistent (something a lot of BBQ places lack) and great for what it is. I'm on a low carb kick, so I'll stop by the one near me and just get a half pound of brisket.

Also love that they do the national anthem every day at noon - you know you're safe from associating with HooFighter types [*imagery of vampire recoiling from sunlight*] during lunch. :mrgreen:
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

It must pain you greatly to know there are people like me who enjoy eating red meat and drinking brown liquor.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:It must pain you greatly to know there are people like me who enjoy eating red meat and drinking brown liquor.
On the contrary - having you around as the butt of my jokes brings joy to my participation on UWS.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HooFighter wrote:It must pain you greatly to know there are people like me who enjoy eating red meat and drinking brown liquor.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:I'll admit, Hampton Roads has crap for BBQ options.
There isn't much good here ... it's not like going to ECU or the Triangle where every restaurant that serves barbecue has to be amazing or they go out of business ... but we have a few decent places. There are also a number of restaurants I have never tried, but want to (Carolina Son, Jakes, Daves, Brackens) that are supposed to be good, but I haven't been so I can't say.

Good
  1. Whitner's ... pretty much the best there is in the area ... http://www.whitnersbbq.com
  2. Smoked from Above (very good, just a tad below Whitner's)
  3. Rodman's (I'm not sure if the Rodman's in Suffolk is actually related to the Rodman's that was in Portsmouth or not, but Rodman's in Portsmouth was in institution for years)
Okay
  1. Johnson's BBQ (for some reason they douse it in sauce without asking ... they have a great smokey flavor, but you have to ask them to not put sauce on it and then go home and make your own vinegar + crushed red pepper sauce)
  2. Mission BBQ (chain food, but not bad)
  3. Smokey Bones (chain food, but edible. Not really Carolina style)
  4. Doumars - an institution in Norfolk that's a throwback to the old 50s diner where they skate out to your car. Sadly, their barbecue is average and tastes about like what you can get at the grocery store
Horrid crap unfit for human consumption
  1. Frankie's Place for Ribs (they have closed for good ... they were the most overrated restaurant ever ... I was expecting amazing and it was not as good as Applebee's)
  2. Pierce's (I can only assume that people who like it have never had decent barbecue)
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:I'll admit, Hampton Roads has crap for BBQ options.
There isn't much good here ... it's not like going to ECU or the Triangle where every restaurant that serves barbecue has to be amazing or they go out of business ... but we have a few decent places. There are also a number of restaurants I have never tried, but want to (Carolina Son, Jakes, Daves, Brackens) that are supposed to be good, but I haven't been so I can't say.

Good
  1. Whitner's ... pretty much the best there is in the area ... http://www.whitnersbbq.com
  2. Smoked from Above (very good, just a tad below Whitner's)
  3. Rodman's (I'm not sure if the Rodman's in Suffolk is actually related to the Rodman's that was in Portsmouth or not, but Rodman's in Portsmouth was in institution for years)
Okay
  1. Johnson's BBQ (for some reason they douse it in sauce without asking ... they have a great smokey flavor, but you have to ask them to not put sauce on it and then go home and make your own vinegar + crushed red pepper sauce)
  2. Mission BBQ (chain food, but not bad)
  3. Smokey Bones (chain food, but edible. Not really Carolina style)
  4. Doumars - an institution in Norfolk that's a throwback to the old 50s diner where they skate out to your car. Sadly, their barbecue is average and tastes about like what you can get at the grocery store
Horrid crap unfit for human consumption
  1. Frankie's Place for Ribs (they have closed for good ... they were the most overrated restaurant ever ... I was expecting amazing and it was not as good as Applebee's)
    [/*:m]
  2. Pierce's (I can only assume that people who like it have never had decent barbecue)
Yes, thank you.