Good commentary on gridlock and diversity

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Good commentary on gridlock and diversity

Post by 133743Hokie »

The homogeneous society of the first 175 years, with shared values, culture, goals and ambitions, allowed for more unanimity in decision making. The result was less gridlock in the government -- the knew what the people wanted and got it done. The diversity of the past 50 years brings more opposing views, goals and objectives on everything, big and small, which results in gridlock at the federal level. Not saying it is bad, but that it should be expected and recognized as the new norm as a result of our changing society. A good read.

"It is important to bear this in mind when we think about how we should reform our system of government. After all, a republic is supposed to reflect the shared values and beliefs of its people. So under the auspices of self-government, a country that is divided along geographic, racial, ethnic, economic, religious, and educational lines is probably going to produce gridlock. We may not like that result, but that does not mean the government is malfunctioning. Diversity is great, but it can impede the kind of broad consensus that under the Constitution is a prerequisite for public action."

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/04/ ... red-goals/
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Good commentary on gridlock and diversity

Post by USN_Hokie »

Yep. People are puzzled why (for example) parents are more apprehensive towards leaving their kids to play outside unsupervised, even though their neighborhood might be objectively safer than it was 40yrs ago. The answer is societal distrust due to no shared culture.

Generally speaking, nobody speaks with their neighbors because they're all strangers and share little in common. A great example from TSL was the poster who called the cops on his (yes, a "man") next door neighbor for mowing the grass too early. :o :lol: When I asked if he tried talking to the neighbor (actually I asked if they asked their husband to... :mrgreen:), I was told that it isn't the 60's and you can't do that stuff any more. Well, he was right on that point.