Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Hokie5150

Looks like someone broke TSL again...

Post by Hokie5150 »

can't get onto any of the boards.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Looks like someone broke TSL again...

Post by HokieHam »

It seems to happen quite often....
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:can't get onto any of the boards.
odd given the shrinking user base.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:

I would bet that the new site is a whole lot more heavy on the database than the old site was.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Same here, sounds about right.

I remember they wanted to unveil the last version just before the fall too, I'm guessing it ended up being a godsend that they didn't considering what an abortion it was the first week or two.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

I would bet that the new site is a whole lot more heavy on the database than the old site was.

I don't know, I could see it go either way. What would be taxing is the recursive calls for threadview. I think that's why a lot of the bigger sites are linear view, so you can get most of what you want in one call. But now they're going to have the worst of both worlds with competing boards.

I'm shocked there aren't more java and/or .net options out there. Chiefly from improved caching on the app side. I'm working on doing something about this with my own content management system in Java, but am still pre-alpha.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Maybe I'm incredibly dense, but the new version seems to be a giant step backwards.

It retains the obnoxious hover menus.

And parts of it scream "we didn't even try". Like the "HOKIE NEWS" section on the right. Why in the world is the date of the article in such a big font? Make the date the same size as the name of the publication and put them on the same line. Then guess what, alakazam, abracadabra, bob's your uncle, you've just increased by 33% the number of headlines I can read without scrolling. Come on - who in the world thinks the date is the most important piece of information there? The Hokie News section on the existing site looks great. Really, the only thing I mind on the home page of the existing site (other than the hover menus) is the obnoxious autorotater - it gives me a headache.

http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/
USN_Hokie wrote:
Same here, sounds about right.

I remember they wanted to unveil the last version just before the fall too, I'm guessing it ended up being a godsend that they didn't considering what an abortion it was the first week or two.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

I'm 99% sure that the old site generated a static file each time you posted, so the server load from a page view was zero. If the database was completely down, you could still view message board posts on the old TSL - you couldn't post anything new, but you could read what was there. Obviously, megathreads meant that there was a lot of work done to post (because it had to go update every single one of these static files within the thread to add your new message to the tree), but page views had no impact whatsoever on the server.

Now, I'm sure there is some caching somewhere along the line so that if you hit refresh five times on an unchanged page, it's not rebuilding it five times, but it's still doing more work than it used to.
awesome guy wrote:
I don't know, I could see it go either way. What would be taxing is the recursive calls for threadview. I think that's why a lot of the bigger sites are linear view, so you can get most of what you want in one call. But now they're going to have the worst of both worlds with competing boards.
.NET isn't exactly efficient. Really, it's the polar opposite of efficient.
awesome guy wrote: I'm shocked there aren't more java and/or .net options out there. Chiefly from improved caching on the app side. I'm working on doing something about this with my own content management system in Java, but am still pre-alpha.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:But now they're going to have the worst of both worlds with competing boards.
Does anyone have any more info on this? Are they seriously going to have a (for example) Threaded FB board and a non-threaded FB board with unshared content?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:I'm 99% sure that the old site generated a static file each time you posted, so the server load from a page view was zero. If the database was completely down, you could still view message board posts on the old TSL - you couldn't post anything new, but you could read what was there. Obviously, megathreads meant that there was a lot of work done to post (because it had to go update every single one of these static files within the thread to add your new message to the tree), but page views had no impact whatsoever on the server.

Now, I'm sure there is some caching somewhere along the line so that if you hit refresh five times on an unchanged page, it's not rebuilding it five times, but it's still doing more work than it used to.

.NET isn't exactly efficient. Really, it's the polar opposite of efficient.
That's interesting. I remember seeing a bunch of connection errors, but they may have just been on the post. That would be more efficient for reads. Apache would cache the page in that instance too and so the request may never even make it to the php engine.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:But now they're going to have the worst of both worlds with competing boards.
Does anyone have any more info on this? Are they seriously going to have a (for example) Threaded FB board and a non-threaded FB board with unshared content?
Check out the threads on the beta site. I'm pretty sure that's the way they were talking about rolling. So 2 FB boards, one for the old timers and one for AH04 :)