Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Who is Satan?

Post by BigDave »

Uprising wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:Christianity is most certainly monotheistic. No other entity is worshiped but God.
I don't see that as inconsistent with henotheism. A deity is:
C. Scott Littleton's Gods, Goddesses, and Mythology defined a deity as "a being with powers greater than those of ordinary humans, but who interacts with humans, positively or negatively, in ways that carry humans to new levels of consciousness beyond the grounded preoccupations of ordinary life."
Christians worship one god, God. But they also accept other deities, Satan and angels. They just choose (?) not to worship them. In the grand scheme of things, it makes no difference and is only semantics. It doesn't change the underlying of the belief.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Words mean things. But if you redefine words to mean whatever they want to get the desired answer, then I guess they don't mean anything.

Under your definition, a computer is a deity. So if you use both an iPad and a PC, then you're a polytheist.

How many legs does a dog have? Four. Suppose we call the tail a leg, then how many does it have? It still has four - just changing the definition of a leg doesn't change the underlying reality.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

BigDave wrote:Words mean things. But if you redefine words to mean whatever they want to get the desired answer, then I guess they don't mean anything.

Under your definition, a computer is a deity. So if you use both an iPad and a PC, then you're a polytheist.

How many legs does a dog have? Four. Suppose we call the tail a leg, then how many does it have? It still has four - just changing the definition of a leg doesn't change the underlying reality.
It's not my definition. How about some other definitions from Merriam-Webster?
deity:
1 a : the rank or essential nature of a god : divinity b capitalized : god 1, supreme being 2 : a god or goddess <the deities of ancient Greece> 3 : one exalted or revered as
god:
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind 2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship ; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality 3 : a person or thing of supreme value 4 : a powerful ruler
If using #2 in both instances, it may fit. Assuming you can remove the western bias.

Some others have asked the question:
http://experimentaltheology.blogspot.co ... s.html?m=1

And the bible talks of other gods:
Genesis 1:26
And God said, let us make man in our image.
Exodus 18:11
Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods
Psalm 82:1-6
God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, he judgeth among the gods.
Jeremiah 10:11
The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.

Anyways, it may be too sensitive a subject here, especially coming from me.

HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

Uprising wrote:
BigDave wrote:Words mean things. But if you redefine words to mean whatever they want to get the desired answer, then I guess they don't mean anything.

deity:
1 a : the rank or essential nature of a god : divinity b capitalized : god 1, supreme being 2 : a god or goddess <the deities of ancient Greece> 3 : one exalted or revered as
god:
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind 2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship ; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality 3 : a person or thing of supreme value 4 : a powerful ruler
If using #2 in both instances, it may fit. Assuming you can remove the western bias.

The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.

You'll have better luck in describing the trinity as three different gods... Therefore Christianity is polytheistic.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Uprising wrote:

deity:
god:

"Anyways, it may be too sensitive a subject here, especially coming from me." No, you're just incorrect. It's not too sensitive to discuss at all.

Christians believe that Genesis 1:26 is referring to the Trinity, not to multiple Gods. Jews have various and sundry beliefs about what this means. Some believe that it was the plural of majesty (also called the "royal we"). Some believe that God was addressing the angels. Others believe that God was speaking to the Earth. There is no universal Jewish agreement about what this means, but Christians are unified in saying that it refers to the Trinity. Nobody other than modern critics who have no idea what they are talking about claims it is polytheism. Deuteronomy 6:4 says, Hear, O Israel: The LORD (Jehovah, singular) our God (Elohim, plural) is one LORD (Jehovah, singular). Obviously, Christians point to the Trinity here as well.

"Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods." So? That isn't admitting that other gods actually exist, just acknowledging that other people worship things that they call gods. In Genesis 31, Rachel stole the household gods from her father and hid them in a chest. Surely, you don't think that the Bible is claiming that these physical statues were actually deities do you?

"God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, he judgeth among the gods." The word "gods" is Elohim. It can also mean angels or judges. It is used numerous places to refer to human judges. "If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges, to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour's goods." The word "judges" in that sentence obviously refers to human judges, but it still uses the word Elohim. God judges among the angels. God judges among the rulers. God judges among the judges.

"The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens." Read three verses later - and I'm going to use the NLT because it's easier to understand than Old English - "The craftsmen are disgraced by the idols they make,
for their carefully shaped works are a fraud. These idols have no breath or power. 15 Idols are worthless; they are ridiculous lies! On the day of reckoning they will all be destroyed." In other words, it's saying right there that these gods don't actually exist - they are just things carved out by a craftsman. They aren't actually animate beings.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk