It is a shame that the discussion of global warming on this

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
fatman

It is a shame that the discussion of global warming on this

Post by fatman »

MB has deteriorated to the point where people use a 1 or 2 day sample size in one small corner of the world to insult people with opposing viewpoints. I find the use of vulgarities even more offensive. In the spirit of improving discourse I provide the follow link for people to consider.

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: It is a shame that the discussion of global warming on t

Post by Major Kong »

Climate change. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Yes, that will improve "discourse." I didn't know Recip went on walkabout.

fatman wrote:MB has deteriorated to the point where people use a 1 or 2 day sample size in one small corner of the world to insult people with opposing viewpoints. I find the use of vulgarities even more offensive. In the spirit of improving discourse I provide the follow link for people to consider.

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Valencia Hokie wrote:Yes, that will improve "discourse." I didn't know Recip went on walkabout.
Walkabout? I thought Recip was a bike guy? :mrgreen:

VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

fatman wrote:MB has deteriorated to the point where people use a 1 or 2 day sample size in one small corner of the world to insult people with opposing viewpoints. I find the use of vulgarities even more offensive. In the spirit of improving discourse I provide the follow link for people to consider.

Sadly, most intellectual discussion about the causes of climate change and what can (or should) be done about it... have been reduced to brainless memes from both political parties. Even more so then the brainless auto-responses on gun laws.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

I did laugh of loud at The Rude Pundit's tagline:
PROUDLY LOWERING THE LEVEL OF POLITICAL DISCOURSE :mrgreen:
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I have no problem discussing the planet changing. Is the planet changing, YES, has it been doing this since the start of the human race.... YES. My issue is with imposing all kinds of costs on US citizens for the planet changing. My other issue is the US has already put all kinds of costs into place to try and change the planet from changing but unless every person on the planet is under the same regulations and taxes and restrictions then we are just punishing ourselves for no reason as the planet will continue to change as we are only one part of a large planet.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

cwtcr hokie wrote:I have no problem discussing the planet changing. Is the planet changing, YES, has it been doing this since the start of the human race.... YES. My issue is with imposing all kinds of costs on US citizens for the planet changing. My other issue is the US has already put all kinds of costs into place to try and change the planet from changing but unless every person on the planet is under the same regulations and taxes and restrictions then we are just punishing ourselves for no reason as the planet will continue to change as we are only one part of a large planet.
That is certainly a valid discussion to have. But the GOP position seems to be to laugh and debunk climate change anytime it's cold outside (see... no global warming) and roll out the 3% of scientists who deny the planet is changing at all. Kinda like the 1 out of 5 dentists who did not recommend sugarless gum in the 1970s :mrgreen:
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:I have no problem discussing the planet changing. Is the planet changing, YES, has it been doing this since the start of the human race.... YES. My issue is with imposing all kinds of costs on US citizens for the planet changing. My other issue is the US has already put all kinds of costs into place to try and change the planet from changing but unless every person on the planet is under the same regulations and taxes and restrictions then we are just punishing ourselves for no reason as the planet will continue to change as we are only one part of a large planet.
That is certainly a valid discussion to have. But the GOP position seems to be to laugh and debunk climate change anytime it's cold outside (see... no global warming) and roll out the 3% of scientists who deny the planet is changing at all. Kinda like the 1 out of 5 dentists who did not recommend sugarless gum in the 1970s :mrgreen:
LOL, you really think that's the number of deniers and their position? LOL
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

The whole point of the original thread in re to this subject was to poke fun at the Chicken Little's...really nothing more to it.

The term "Global Warming" is a prime example of run amok nitwittery that just at the face of it is asking for ridicule whenever an episode, such as we are experiencing now, occurs.

I have always been an advocate for the term Global Warming because it is the more accurate term. How much can be attributed to man made? Hell if know but as I've written many times before we're human after all and we'd phuque up a one car funeral if given ½ a chance. :)

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I am still looking for someone to explain how they are forcing all the other countries on the planet to be required to be as regulated and pay the extra costs for all the regulations as the US citizen is. Until the rest of the world catches up with the USA basically you are tilting at windmills, the planet will continue to change tho no matter how many taxes or extra costs they put on US citizens
VoiceOfReason wrote:

Sadly, most intellectual discussion about the causes of climate change and what can (or should) be done about it... have been reduced to brainless memes from both political parties. Even more so then the brainless auto-responses on gun laws.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

But the libs, livs, Hollywood and morons will feel good about themselves.

And isn't that what's really important?

Feel good, don't do good.

cwtcr hokie wrote:I am still looking for someone to explain how they are forcing all the other countries on the planet to be required to be as regulated and pay the extra costs for all the regulations as the US citizen is. Until the rest of the world catches up with the USA basically you are tilting at windmills, the planet will continue to change tho no matter how many taxes or extra costs they put on US citizens
VoiceOfReason wrote:

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
burgrugby
Alma Mater: Hokie through and through
Party: Indy - leaning pub

Post by burgrugby »

Let me start off by clarifying that I am no scientist. That being said, I agree with what you state below. The planets changing: YES (always has and always will). Are humans causing it to happen faster: I don't think anyone can answer that. Obviously humans can pollute and polution is bad. I'm fine with laws and regulations helping to curb pollution and have clean water. The problem is, I think we tend to go way overboard and use climate change as an excuse to OVER regulate.

I read a report a few weeks back that said one volcanic eruption (in Iceland I think) put more CO2 into the atmosphere than all the greenhouse gas emission regulations and improvements we've made have saved over the last decade. If that's true, it makes it hard for me to believe that we have any hope of slowing (or really affecting) global climate change. Where we need to focus is on local environments (water quality, air quality, etc), but those regulations need to be sensible and not overboard. The tree huggers aren't going to stop all industry and we aren't going to go to zero regulation. We need to have sensible regulations that don't overburden industry to the point that we are negatively affecting our competitiveness with the world market to the point that we are overly hurting our economy.

Also, aren't greenhouse gases the PC term for CO2? We teach scuba students that air is 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen (as the other gases make up such a small percentage). CO2 is like 0.04% or something of the air. It's hard for my non-scientific brain to figure out how something that makes up such a small percentage of the atmosphere can have such a large effect... and even moreso how much of an impact we can truly have on that (considering one volcanic eruption can outweigh everything we as humans can do that has an effect). Also, humans themselves are generators of CO2. Plants generate O2 and humans generate CO2. Maybe we just have too many people?

I think the climate change debate's really been driven by a core group of people who stand to make a whole lot of money somehow.