Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Navy Chopper Down off Cape Henry...

Post by Hokie CPA »

Local news reporting that a US Navy MH53E helicopter has gone down in the ocean 18 miles east of Cape Henry, Virginia Beach. There were 5 Navy personnel on board. No word yet on their fate.

This also has me thinking about the scheduled Space-X launch. I understand their rocket is on the pad and it's set to go to the ISS with supplies. As I recall, it was cold as a witch's tit the morning Challenger blew up and it was determined the cold weather affected the O-rings designed to seal the fuel cells. Space-X is waiting to launch til it warms up, right?

EDIT: Space-X launched on Monday morning, apparently, before the Deep Freeze got to the pad. So I guess all is well with that one. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014 ... h/4339077/
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Hokie CPA

Re: Navy Chopper Down off Cape Henry...

Post by Hokie CPA »

UPDATE: Navy says four people found and taken to the hospital. One person still unaccounted for.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:UPDATE: Navy says four people found and taken to the hospital. One person still unaccounted for.
If a helo crashed in the ocean and 4/5 lived, that would be incredible. Helos crash far more often than most people are aware of. The navy loses about 1 a month as I recall.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:UPDATE: Navy says four people found and taken to the hospital. One person still unaccounted for.
If a helo crashed in the ocean and 4/5 lived, that would be incredible. Helos crash far more often than most people are aware of. The navy loses about 1 a month as I recall.
I agry... what may have happened is the pilot encouraged every to jump while he tried to maintain as best he could and then he probably dumped into the water after getting away from his passengers and he may have gone down with the ship. That's pure wild ass guess on my part, but hearing 4 out 5 survived makes me think the one may have given himself to save the 4.

CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
One a month? That's too many. Why?
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
Once

Post by Once »

1 per month seems extraordinarily high.
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:1 per month seems extraordinarily high.
USN_Hokie wrote:

That's a 12 a year and may include Ospreys in the total.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Once

Post by Once »

Duh.
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Once wrote:Duh.
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

1 x 12 = 12.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
One a month? That's too many. Why?
Helicopters are death traps.

I've been on one with an in-flight emergency. I couldn't tell you how many in-flight emergencies I've witnessed. I've also been on a ship with an embarked helo (SH-60) which splashed...all we found was body parts. It never made the news....only the crashes close to shore usually do.