Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Pastafarian takes oath of office in NY

Post by USN_Hokie »

GCHokie78

Re: Pastafarian takes oath of office in NY

Post by GCHokie78 »

Gentlemen don't wear hats indoors. And that's the worst-looking hat I ever saw. It looks good on him, though.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Do you know why we are asked to raise our right hand? You probably do, being the all-knowing nerd that you are. But just wondering.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Valencia Hokie wrote:Do you know why we are asked to raise our right hand? You probably do, being the all-knowing nerd that you are. But just wondering.
Lack of filling cabinets?
http://nwsidebar.wsba.org/2013/10/21/ra ... and-court/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Valencia Hokie wrote:Do you know why we are asked to raise our right hand? You probably do, being the all-knowing nerd that you are. But just wondering.
To show we're not holding a weapon in your right hand...ignoring the sinister parts. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hmm...I'm usually good with obscure, useless trivia like this. Not sure I know - my assumption would be that it's related to the reason why you don't shake someone's left hand in the middle east, though I'm guessing it's a biblical reference considering that the question comes from you. Maybe both? (biblical bathroom stuff?) ;)
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
To show we're not holding a weapon in your right hand...ignoring the sinister parts. :D
That's why men remove their hats before shaking hands, to show they are unarmed and mean no harm.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Nuthin Biblical. Convicted felons were given a mark (or branded) on the palm of their right hand after conviction. Raising their right hand was done to see if they were an honorable or trustworthy person - before swearing to tell the truth. I think it came from those who were witnesses (not defendants) to show their testimony could be trusted.

I was in court one day when a girl could not raise her right hand because it was in a sling. The judge made her raise her left hand and explained where it came from.

Just thought it was pretty cool.

USN_Hokie wrote:
Hmm...I'm usually good with obscure, useless trivia like this. Not sure I know - my assumption would be that it's related to the reason why you don't shake someone's left hand in the middle east, though I'm guessing it's a biblical reference considering that the question comes from you. Maybe both? (biblical bathroom stuff?) ;)