So, tell me. Why is wealth inequality a bad thing?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Re: So, tell me. Why is wealth inequality a bad thing?

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Hokie CPA wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:Mad-James was a founding father and a politician. And he made a political statement 200 years ago which apparently is being misinterpreted today. The safety net passed by Congress is perfectly Constitutional. While he expresses his opinion very forcefully and quite succinctly... it really is nothing more than his opinion. His words... are not in the Constitution itself... if they were, then you might have a very valid point.
Congress passing a law does not make said law Constitutional. The concept of the federal government not having the authority to act as an agent of charity was well established until the 1900s...which leads to the question of who misinterpreted the matter?
Considering Madison is the one who wrote it, I think his interpretation counts for a helluva lot more than anyone who came along 200, or even 100, years later.
Why? People act like the founding father are Gods? They were wealthy Britons who had a GREAT idea about freedom and liberty... and, oh yeah, had the interesting side effect of lowering their own taxes.

So... Madison made a statement worthy of Ebeneezer Scrooge... so what? Have they closed the prisons? Charity should have been his business... mercy should have been his business. Merry Christmas :mrgreen:
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

awesome guy wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:Then why did the DC government announce they were rounding up the homeless two nights ago in preparation for the storm? Must have been a quick exercise since homeless don't exist.

Yes, there is a good deal of public assistance and private charities attending to the poor. And by the way, the private charities are run by MANY liberal leaning groups as well as Christian conservatives. I will assume it was an oversight on your part, rather than some holier-than-thou attitude towards liberals :mrgreen:
Again with the reading comprehension issues. Reread what I wrote for comprehension.

Liberal charities are far out numbered by conservative and religious ones. No oversight, just the way it is. It's even worse when you take away the charities devoted to killing babies.
Religious charities and conservative charities are not the same thing. There are any liberal churches out there. Is Catholic Charities - one of the largest worldwide - liberal or conservative? Given people's views on the current Pope I would be careful with this one.

My point is... don't believe for a minute that conservatives have any more claim on private charity than moderates or liberal do. If you think they do, please provide evidence to support that. I can tell you I have many liberal and conservatives friends who donate both time and money to private charity.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:Mad-James was a founding father and a politician. And he made a political statement 200 years ago which apparently is being misinterpreted today. The safety net passed by Congress is perfectly Constitutional. While he expresses his opinion very forcefully and quite succinctly... it really is nothing more than his opinion. His words... are not in the Constitution itself... if they were, then you might have a very valid point.
Congress passing a law does not make said law Constitutional. The concept of the federal government not having the authority to act as an agent of charity was well established until the 1900s...which leads to the question of who misinterpreted the matter?
Considering Madison is the one who wrote it, I think his interpretation counts for a helluva lot more than anyone who came along 200, or even 100, years later.
Why? People act like the founding father are Gods? They were wealthy Britons who had a GREAT idea about freedom and liberty... and, oh yeah, had the interesting side effect of lowering their own taxes.
Because he WROTE IT. He also wrote the Bill of Rights, including the Tenth Amendment which says that any powers not specifically enumerated to the Federal Government by the Constitution are RESERVED TO THE STATES. So when he says he can't find the authority in the Constitution for the federal government to do something, he knows EXACTLY what he's talking about... it is up to the INDIVIDUAL AND SOVEREIGN STATES to pass such programs into law within their own borders.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:Then why did the DC government announce they were rounding up the homeless two nights ago in preparation for the storm? Must have been a quick exercise since homeless don't exist.

Yes, there is a good deal of public assistance and private charities attending to the poor. And by the way, the private charities are run by MANY liberal leaning groups as well as Christian conservatives. I will assume it was an oversight on your part, rather than some holier-than-thou attitude towards liberals :mrgreen:
Again with the reading comprehension issues. Reread what I wrote for comprehension.

Liberal charities are far out numbered by conservative and religious ones. No oversight, just the way it is. It's even worse when you take away the charities devoted to killing babies.

the idea that religious charities are lumped in conservative ones is nonsense. they are largely non-partisan and if anything, lean a little to the left.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Is Catholic Charities - one of the largest worldwide - liberal or conservative?
What is their position on abortion? Are anti-abortion organizations generally considered liberal or conservative?
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:People act like the founding father are Gods?
gods? no. In a far better position to know and understand the intent of the founding documents? Yes.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Someone asked: Why is wealth inequality a bad thing? IF.

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
hokie80 wrote:Yet another deflect.
Bingo. Funny that neither Houtex nor IP atttempted an actual answer.
I'll engage in this "debate" with you if you can name one position that you've ever moved to the left, as a result of your interaction on this board, or similar boards.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
hokie80
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
I'll engage in this "debate" with you if you can name one position that you've ever moved to the left, as a result of your interaction on this board, or similar boards.
My stance on Gay Marriage.

I'll await your response.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

hokie80 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

did you just admit to being a 5150 dupe? My challenge was to the author of this thread.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:I'll engage in this "debate" with you if you can name one position that you've ever moved to the left, as a result of your interaction on this board, or similar boards.
I've gone from ambivalent on the topic of gay marriage to fully supportive of the matter as long as government is involved in marriage (I don't think it should be), there is no legitimate reason to bar gays from marrying.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

did you just admit to being a 5150 dupe? My challenge was to the author of this thread.
I asked you the same question.

Yet again, you deflect.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

well, 80 if I entertained your request, I'd lose leverage. And we can't have that.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:I'll engage in this "debate" with you if you can name one position that you've ever moved to the left, as a result of your interaction on this board, or similar boards.
I've gone from ambivalent on the topic of gay marriage to fully supportive of the matter as long as government is involved in marriage (I don't think it should be), there is no legitimate reason to bar gays from marrying.
too nuanced. Nice try, maybe next time.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:too nuanced. Nice try, maybe next time.
Exactly as expected. I addressed your question to the letter.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
Question: If there was even a chance that the safety net laws were unConstitutional... don't you think the Rs would have challenged them in courts by now? That is the proper check and balance last time I checked. Until the courts declare such laws unConstitutional... I am afraid you will have to accept the fact that they are indeed Constitutional.
That's ridiculous. You seem to think that the Supreme Court is blessed with omniscience, or at least with the ability and inclination to determine absolute truth.

Nine people saying "it's constitutional" doesn't change the actual text of the constitution, no matter how much wishy thinking may be applied to the situation.

Congress is granted by the constitution certain enumerated powers and anything outside of those enumerated powers is unconstitutional, whether anyone agrees with that or not.

A dog has four legs. Suppose that we decide to call the tail a leg. How many legs does it have? It still has four - whether we agree or not. We could get every single person on this board to agree that the tail is a leg and the dog has five legs. We could write it into the forum rules along with "Please be civil. Go Hokies. Beat William & Mary." But despite our sincere efforts, the underlying reality would not be changed.

Statist politicians can pass a law and other statist politicians (who call themselves "judges" or "justicies") can uphold that law, but their actions don't change the underlying reality if their law violates the constitution.

As to one of your other question - questioning why none of the welfare programs were ever challenged - please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvering_v._Davis
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

the idea that religious charities are lumped in conservative ones is nonsense. they are largely non-partisan and if anything, lean a little to the left.
false.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:well, 80 if I entertained your request, I'd lose leverage. And we can't have that.
Have to admit, this made me laugh.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

false.
so use big dave's analogy from earlier.. .just because you say a dog has 5 legs, doesn't make it so.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

I'm pretty sure a charity, in and of itself, doesn't lean right or left. It just provides money and services to others for no cost.

Now those that contribute to a charity probably lean right or left. And frankly, I don't know how you could accurately surmise which way they lean. Perhaps a Southern Baptist charity would tend to have doors that lean more to the right. But a Catholic Charity probably has more left leaning givers.

In any regard, this is kind of a pointless argument on the subject of wealth inequity.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

false.
so use big dave's analogy from earlier.. .just because you say a dog has 5 legs, doesn't make it so.
and just because you say it has 6 doesn't make it so.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Hokie5150 wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:Is Catholic Charities - one of the largest worldwide - liberal or conservative?
What is their position on abortion? Are anti-abortion organizations generally considered liberal or conservative?
We both know that answer. We also both know this answer...

What is there position on the poor? Income inequality? Social safety nets?

So I ask again... do you consider Catholic Charities liberal or conservative?
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

BigDave wrote:
That's ridiculous. You seem to think that the Supreme Court is blessed with omniscience, or at least with the ability and inclination to determine absolute truth.

Nine people saying "it's constitutional" doesn't change the actual text of the constitution, no matter how much wishy thinking may be applied to the situation.

Congress is granted by the constitution certain enumerated powers and anything outside of those enumerated powers is unconstitutional, whether anyone agrees with that or not.

A dog has four legs. Suppose that we decide to call the tail a leg. How many legs does it have? It still has four - whether we agree or not. We could get every single person on this board to agree that the tail is a leg and the dog has five legs. We could write it into the forum rules along with "Please be civil. Go Hokies. Beat William & Mary." But despite our sincere efforts, the underlying reality would not be changed.

Statist politicians can pass a law and other statist politicians (who call themselves "judges" or "justicies") can uphold that law, but their actions don't change the underlying reality if their law violates the constitution.

As to one of your other question - questioning why none of the welfare programs were ever challenged - please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvering_v._Davis
The Founding Fathers set up this system of checks and balances. The judicial branch of the government does have the authority to determine if something is Constitutional or not.

And thank you for bolstering my case. I had suspected the Rs in the 1930's might have challenged Social Security... since they went as bat-excrement crazy over SS as current Rs are doing with the ACA. And the courts found: "Congress may spend money in aid of the 'general welfare'... There have been great statesmen in our history who have stood for other views... "

Nice that they included the slapdown to Madison in their ruling. You da man BigDave!
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Conservative. You LWNJs keep believing your own koolaide that only the left cares about the poor. The opposite is true. The right is very concerned with the poor as evidenced by their higher charity donations. Here's one link on it, there are many more. http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2012 ... ml?camp=pm

Left wing "charity" is hallmarked by massive federal programs. After all, you guys claim that's necessary since no one cares about the poor and you think charities don't really exist. So how can they be left wing when you think they don't even exist? Right wing charity on the other hand is just as the name implies, people voluntarily given to organizations and individuals to aid those in needs. You're form of giving is big brother, ours is brother to brother. And that's displayed in the dominance of right wing and religious charities from the right and the call for more and more social spending from the left. You guys are just ignorant of how charitable real people are.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote: Nobody on the left (or anywhere else) proposes wealth equality. Nobody on the left (or anywhere else) thinks a brain surgeon should be paid the same as a McDonald's drive thru clerk.
Don't you get it? When you (or the POTUS) talks about the problem of the wealth/income inequality "gap," the exception proves the rule. I suppose that for some it's just a rhetorical strawman, but I'm going to go ahead and hold you (and the President) accountable for your words.

You talked earlier about the problem with CEO pay - go ahead, tell us - what is the appropriate amount of money that a CEO should make?