Rednecks object to multilingual America the Beautiful

Post by nolanvt »

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Rednecks object to multilingual America the Beautiful

Post by awesome guy »

Ironic
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Beyond the irony of these idiots calling others idiots, who thinks a polyglot society is best? A nation not sharing a language or culture is ripe for war and division. Just look at the UN for an example. We're met to be one nation, not the tribalist we see elsewhere in war torn nations across the globe. Our strength and history has been in assimilation, not continuing the divisions immigrants are supposed to be leaving behind. Promoting multicultural silliness just encourages division. Leave the old world baggage thier, like the previous immigrants did.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

A beautiful song in any language. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Some of my favorite responses:
@BadAstronomer: Did you notice all the misspelling and bad grammar used in #Cokesucks tweets that complained about the languages used in the ad?

@stevietuz1: Dear #Cokesucks people - Chik-Fil-A serves Coke products exclusively. Good luck impaling yourselves on that dilemma.

@PatrickRomSim: Oh my god, somehow people are tweeting us from the 1950's! No other explanation for this----->> #CokeSucks & #BoycottCoke. #Right?

@noteon: I am OUTRAGED. "America the Beautiful" should be sung in English, the way it is in the Bible! #Cokesucks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

I'll take "Unnecessary Posts" for $200, Alex.
oaktonhokie wrote:I didn't like it.

nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Why didn't you like it?
OrangeHokieFan
Party: Republican

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

I have a problem with them singing God Bless America in a little afghan village when they really want to kill us. Didn't care about the languages but the undertones of American Imperialism bothered me
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
Beyond the irony of these idiots calling others idiots, who thinks a polyglot society is best? A nation not sharing a language or culture is ripe for war and division. Just look at the UN for an example. We're met to be one nation, not the tribalist we see elsewhere in war torn nations across the globe. Our strength and history has been in assimilation, not continuing the divisions immigrants are supposed to be leaving behind. Promoting multicultural silliness just encourages division. Leave the old world baggage thier, like the previous immigrants did.
Well, I don't think anyone would argue that to be successful in America, you need to be able to speak English. Even the immigrants who don't speak English that well or not at all, their children generally learn to at an early age because they're around other children who speak English (learning to speak a certain language is easier at a younger age). This is why if public school systems are going to teach foreign languages, they shouldn't wait to start until kids are in high school, like the one I attended in WV. The kids will learn more if you start in grade school. One of my wife's law school classmates does it right when teaching their child English and Spanish. The mother speaks to the child in Spanish, and the father speaks to the child in English. That kid is going to be multilingual before he ever steps foot in public school.

The problems you cite with corrupt political organizations and the US in general probably has little to nothing to do with being able to speak multiple languages. The Coke ad was simply reaching out to all of the different cultures who consume their product.
Cpt Jagdish
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

OrangeHokieFan wrote:I have a problem with them singing God Bless America in a little afghan village when they really want to kill us. Didn't care about the languages but the undertones of American Imperialism bothered me
Don't watch Lone Survivor or read about that story. It will really rustle your jimmies.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Well, I don't think anyone would argue that to be successful in America, you need to be able to speak English. Even the immigrants who don't speak English that well or not at all, their children generally learn to at an early age because they're around other children who speak English (learning to speak a certain language is easier at a younger age). This is why if public school systems are going to teach foreign languages, they shouldn't wait to start until kids are in high school, like the one I attended in WV. The kids will learn more if you start in grade school. One of my wife's law school classmates does it right when teaching their child English and Spanish. The mother speaks to the child in Spanish, and the father speaks to the child in English. That kid is going to be multilingual before he ever steps foot in public school.

The problems you cite with corrupt political organizations and the US in general probably has little to nothing to do with being able to speak multiple languages. The Coke ad was simply reaching out to all of the different cultures who consume their product.
Whatever Mr. "I wipe the curry paste off my mouth with an American Flag"
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Uprising wrote:
Some of my favorite responses:
@stevietuz1: Dear #Cokesucks people - Chik-Fil-A serves Coke products exclusively. Good luck impaling yourselves on that dilemma.
Touche
Cpt Jagdish
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

I know many of you wouldn't dare tie your real name to your account here on UWS but so many people do it on Twitter and say really dumb things like in the link. You may agree or disagree with their position but how dumb are people?

The first thing I do when I scan a resume and it passes the eyeball test is do a quick Google search on that person. I think Deadspin is doing hiring people a great service consolidating all these idiots in one place. I'd be open to more public shaming on issues like this, maybe people will then realize it's not acceptable.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

First it was totally derivative of their ad "I'd like to teach the world to sing..." which I liked. Not very original

Second, it was trying to make people go, "Ahhhhh, if only everyone would love each other. What a wonderful world we could have if we just let love guide us." I just have a natural instinct not to react the way I am supposed to.

Third, why did they show images of foreign countries? If they wanted to sing the song in chineese and show the grand canyon, that's one thing, but they sang in foreign languages and showed images of other countries.

The song iirc, is AMERICA the beautiful, not EARTH the beautiful.

nolanvt wrote:

Why didn't you like it?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:First it was totally derivative of their ad "I'd like to teach the world to sing..." which I liked. Not very original

Second, it was trying to make people go, "Ahhhhh, if only everyone would love each other. What a wonderful world we could have if we just let love guide us." I just have a natural instinct not to react the way I am supposed to.

Third, why did they show images of foreign countries? If they wanted to sing the song in chineese and show the grand canyon, that's one thing, but they sang in foreign languages and showed images of other countries.

nolanvt wrote:

Why didn't you like it?
It's manusha, but I think the ad was simply pointing out America's diverse population (our citizens come from X, Y, and Z). That's all.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Manusha, is that the language or was it minutia?

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:First it was totally derivative of their ad "I'd like to teach the world to sing..." which I liked. Not very original

nolanvt wrote:

Why didn't you like it?
It's manusha, but I think the ad was simply pointing out America's diverse population (our citizens come from X, Y, and Z). That's all.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote: Manusha, is that the language or was it minutia?
Ha! Oops. :D
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Good thing Cheerios stuck to the bi-racial ad and avoided such controversy. ;-)
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

That's a cute commercial and it works.

You really ought to respond with quote so people will know to whom you are responding. It's a shame to have your wisdom and insight go unrecognized because we cannot determine the point of your argument.

hokie80 wrote:Good thing Cheerios stuck to the bi-racial ad and avoided such controversy. ;-)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

People like the idiot author of the article you linked would disagree with speaking English. They're the type that think everyone should speak in their native tongues, even as they immigrate. And we have 2 different models for multicultural vs. assimilation. The Latinos are encouraged to keep their crappy culture and not learn English. As a result can only work in fast food, lawn care, and constructions. Contrast that with the Asians who go as far into assimilation to take on English names and speak English in their homes. They're achieving similar results as everyone else. The two models aren't even close to being equal in outcomes, yet some morons are still pushing the multicultural silliness. That's the point of the ad and the point of the rant of the deadspin idiot.

Corruption has nothing to do with Israel and Palestine arguing, Armenians and Turks, etc. They have genuine hate as each has attempted genocide on the other. They need to leave that crap at the door when they come here, that's the whole point of the immigration, to abandon the death in their home nation for a chance in life in this one. Part of that process is letting go of the old wars, no matter how painful. And you're inviting the same here by accepting moving the fight from there to here via multiculturalism.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Israel and Palestine should Let Love Guide Them.

Or at least they could preach that until they got angry and THEN they could resort to childish name calling or nuclear war.

Or better still, A PLEDGE. Yeah, that's it. A pledge.

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

People like the idiot author of the article you linked would disagree with speaking English. They're the type that think everyone should speak in their native tongues, even as they immigrate. And we have 2 different models for multicultural vs. assimilation. The Latinos are encouraged to keep their crappy culture and not learn English. As a result can only work in fast food, lawn care, and constructions. Contrast that with the Asians who go as far into assimilation to take on English names and speak English in their homes. They're achieving similar results as everyone else. The two models aren't even close to being equal in outcomes, yet some morons are still pushing the multicultural silliness. That's the point of the ad and the point of the rant of the deadspin idiot.

Corruption has nothing to do with Israel and Palestine arguing, Armenians and Turks, etc. They have genuine hate as each has attempted genocide on the other. They need to leave that crap at the door when they come here, that's the whole point of the immigration, to abandon the death in their home nation for a chance in life in this one. Part of that process is letting go of the old wars, no matter how painful. And you're inviting the same here by accepting moving the fight from there to here via multiculturalism.
VoiceOfReason
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:I know many of you wouldn't dare tie your real name to your account here on UWS but so many people do it on Twitter and say really dumb things like in the link. You may agree or disagree with their position but how dumb are people?

The first thing I do when I scan a resume and it passes the eyeball test is do a quick Google search on that person. I think Deadspin is doing hiring people a great service consolidating all these idiots in one place. I'd be open to more public shaming on issues like this, maybe people will then realize it's not acceptable.

Wait... so you scan out liberals? :mrgreen:
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:Israel and Palestine should Let Love Guide Them.

Or at least they could preach that until they got angry and THEN they could resort to childish name calling or nuclear war.

Or better still, A PLEDGE. Yeah, that's it. A pledge.

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

They're just arguing over corruption according to Nolan.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote: The Latinos are encouraged to keep their crappy culture and not learn English.
Link?
What fighting is going on here and who is accepting the shift of the war transferring from that part of the Mid-East to America?