Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
OrangeHokieFan
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Bill O'Reilly ate Obama up tonight

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

At one point Obama clammed there was no corruption in the IRS targeting. Isn't that what targeting is! WTF. He even got Obama to admit that saying you could keep your insurance was his biggest regret. The president went on to say it was because they changed the law. Shocker.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Re: Bill O'Reilly ate Obama up tonight

Post by Hokie CPA »

"They changed the law?"

Um... He signed it into law and the only person who has changed the law (illegally, I might add) is him!
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

OrangeHokieFan

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

OrangeHokieFan

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

Here's the transcript if you don't feel like watching the video.
The second part of the interview is tonight. I hope Bill makes goofy ears eat crow.
Cpt Jagdish
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

I was interested to see how this board would react to the President on the pregame show.

Last time the President was on a sports broadcast, this board's contingent was up in arms about how politics should not be in a sports broadcast. I agreed then.

I'm guessing somehow this was different? I hated it, get out of my sports.
VoiceOfReason
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

I saw the interview. I think both sides basically got what they wanted. O'Reilly will be able to claim he asked the "tough, hard hitting questions" that you guys think never get asked. And of course he can reply the interview thousands of times on Fox and really dissect Obama, interject the conservative BS, etc.

For Obama, I think he handled O'Reilly decently. He certainly showed FAR more restraint than I would have for O'Reilly's constant interrupting and backtalking. I thought O'Reilly was disrespectful at times. I know you guys won't think so... but if a reporter ever took that kind of tone and asked those kinds of accusitory questions of an R president... you guys will be all ape-shite with liberal media bias.

Bottom line:
1) Nothing really new in the interview. Obama's answers were consistent with his prior statements. And the facts, most likely.
2) I have to give Obama credit for having BIG BRASS BALLS for accepting the interview with a person like O'Reilly on FOX television.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:I saw the interview. I think both sides basically got what they wanted. O'Reilly will be able to claim he asked the "tough, hard hitting questions" that you guys think never get asked. And of course he can reply the interview thousands of times on Fox and really dissect Obama, interject the conservative BS, etc.

For Obama, I think he handled O'Reilly decently. He certainly showed FAR more restraint than I would have for O'Reilly's constant interrupting and backtalking. I thought O'Reilly was disrespectful at times. I know you guys won't think so... but if a reporter ever took that kind of tone and asked those kinds of accusitory questions of an R president... you guys will be all ape-shite with liberal media bias.

Bottom line:
1) Nothing really new in the interview. Obama's answers were consistent with his prior statements. And the facts, most likely.
2) I have to give Obama credit for having BIG BRASS BALLS for accepting the interview with a person like O'Reilly on FOX television.
Haven't seen the interview and I don't expect anything of substance if/when I do watch it. That said, the reason he interviewed with O'Reilly is because the president historically does a pre-game interview with the network broadcasting the Super Bowl. This year it was Fox. Obviously he would have never agreed to do so otherwise.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I've only seen snippets so i'll reserve judgment, but my guess is that the maarixist was prepared for the questions on sebelius and bengazhi and had a response/lie that did not address the actual question. Daring billyO to press him on it and look disrespectful.

Disrespectful, to a man with no respect for the nation, it's traditions and values, or the constitution.

BillyO probably did a lousy job. He wants ratings, not answers. If he's too tough, the president won't give him another interview as he leaves office.

BillyO was probably just a little bit less lame than the msm. All the bs and hype (from billyO) about the alpha males, the two prize fighters looking each other in the eye.... Please.

Oreilly probably let the president slither off the hook, give non answers and a glib smile.

Like in one of the clips, "Now bill, I know you have a list of mistakes I've made...." Charming or evasive?

The question about the interview is, What did we learn?

My guess. NOTHING.

Thanx bill. Glad you got some ratings.

I hope i'm wrong, and there was a lot of substance here. We'll see.

VoiceOfReason wrote:I saw the interview. I think both sides basically got what they wanted. O'Reilly will be able to claim he asked the "tough, hard hitting questions" that you guys think never get asked. And of course he can reply the interview thousands of times on Fox and really dissect Obama, interject the conservative BS, etc.

Bottom line:
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

133743Hokie wrote:

Bottom line:
Haven't seen the interview and I don't expect anything of substance if/when I do watch it. That said, the reason he interviewed with O'Reilly is because the president historically does a pre-game interview with the network broadcasting the Super Bowl. This year it was Fox. Obviously he would have never agreed to do so otherwise.
Understood. But I assume the POTUS can request (or deny) an interviewer. I am sure there is at least one non-partisan reporter at FOX Network (not to be confused with Fox News). It's not like this is a debate. I give Obama props for agreeing to chat with O'Reilly... it's not like Obama needs the exposure or anything... he is done running for election.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Bottom line:
Understood. But I assume the POTUS can request (or deny) an interviewer. I am sure there is at least one non-partisan reporter at FOX Network (not to be confused with Fox News). It's not like this is a debate. I give Obama props for agreeing to chat with O'Reilly... it's not like Obama needs the exposure or anything... he is done running for election.
He did the same thing in 2011 with O'Reilly.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

oaktonhokie wrote:I've only seen snippets so i'll reserve judgment, but my guess is that the maarixist was prepared for the questions on sebelius and bengazhi and had a response/lie that did not address the actual question. Daring billyO to press him on it and look disrespectful.

Disrespectful, to a man with no respect for the nation, it's traditions and values, or the constitution.

BillyO probably did a lousy job. He wants ratings, not answers. If he's too tough, the president won't give him another interview as he leaves office.

BillyO was probably just a little bit less lame than the msm. All the bs and hype (from billyO) about the alpha males, the two prize fighters looking each other in the eye.... Please.

Oreilly probably let the president slither off the hook, give non answers and a glib smile.

Like in one of the clips, "Now bill, I know you have a list of mistakes I've made...." Charming or evasive?

The question about the interview is, What did we learn?

My guess. NOTHING.

Thanx bill. Glad you got some ratings.

I hope i'm wrong, and there was a lot of substance here. We'll see.
Barack Obama is POTUS... and whether you personally like or respect him is completely irrelevant. As POTUS, he is certainly entitled to a certainly level of respect in an interview. He should not be badgered or constantly interrupted. It is also disrespectful if EVERY question is negative and accusatory in nature. I suggest you watch the interview if you want to have educated comments about what happened.

As I mentioned, I also think BillO did well. Yes, he is in a difficult spot. The uneducated animals that watch his network expect him to eviscerate the POTUS - call him a liar to his face! While I think BillO was a bit disrespectful... he was certainly not THAT disrespectful.

If you think that is an appropriate way to conduct an interview with the POTUS... I think you are WAY too deep in the Kool Aid.

As for your evasive comment... if somebody asked me on camera "where do you slap your wife around? the living room? bedroom?"... I would not know how to answer a question based on lies. Same as Obama not knowing how to respond to all the GOP crazy theories out there. There will never be answers... because they did not happen! :mrgreen:
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

HooFighter wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Bottom line:
He did the same thing in 2011 with O'Reilly.
Huh. Thanks for the info... would not mind seeing that. I wonder of O'Reilly was a testy as yesterday.
hokie80
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

Obama never stops campaigning. He side stepped the questions with the same talking points. As far as respect goes, he really hasn't earned it with his lies. Sorry.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Your refusal to respond with quote is annoying.

I guess you're just too good to what the rest of us do.

Look at it this way, we will all recognize that you are the receptical of the new uws. Smarter tha any of us, more clever, more successful, etc.

We just want to be sure that we all know where your incredible insight and rapier like wit is pointed. We want to be like you. We want to learn from you and your experience.

Help us to learn from you.

hokie80 wrote:Obama never stops campaigning. He side stepped the questions with the same talking points. As far as respect goes, he really hasn't earned it with his lies. Sorry.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Too bad
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

hokie80 wrote:Obama never stops campaigning. He side stepped the questions with the same talking points. As far as respect goes, he really hasn't earned it with his lies. Sorry.
The office of POTUS entitles whoever has it to respect. If you can't understand that, then yes... you are sorry.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

VoiceOfReason wrote:The office of POTUS entitles whoever has it to respect. If you can't understand that, then yes... you are sorry.
Nobody who ever participated with these people or egged them on has any room to lecture about showing the POTUS respect just because he's POTUS.

I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

And... to be clear... I'm not a Bush fan. I'm just SICK of the DOUBLE STANDARD.

Obama has continued on every single significant Bush policy... hasn't changed a damn one of em... and he's doubled down on the worst ones, but he gets a free pass from these people!

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

VoiceOfReason wrote:The office of POTUS entitles whoever has it to respect. If you can't understand that, then yes... you are sorry.
Since when? The POTUS respect BS flew out the door and splattered against the wall with Nixon (maybe even LBJ).

If the office of the POTUS wants my respect then the POTUS needs to cultivate that respect...just because he's the POTUS is manure of a bull.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

OrangeHokieFan

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

Second half of the interview is tonight
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I agree to a point, Hong. The office in my opinion, deserves respect. The problem with this particular president is that he has no respect for others, or the Constitution, or our nation generally. And then he hides behind the respect the office.

There is a very fine line to walk here. Interviewers need answers to questions, that he does not want to give. The tough part is getting them without appearing to be badgering him.

And not letting him slither off the hook.

Major Kong wrote:
Since when? The POTUS respect BS flew out the door and splattered against the wall with Nixon (maybe even LBJ).

If the office of the POTUS wants my respect then the POTUS needs to cultivate that respect...just because he's the POTUS is manure of a bull.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Hokie CPA wrote:And... to be clear... I'm not a Bush fan. I'm just SICK of the DOUBLE STANDARD.

Obama has continued on every single significant Bush policy... hasn't changed a damn one of em... and he's doubled down on the worst ones, but he gets a free pass from these people!
This is a false equivalency. I don't think anyone is arguing that one can't say terrible things about the President. It is an entirely different matter to act like an ass while interviewing that President. He deserves the same courtesy we would want for ourselves in such situations, nothing more.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Hokie CPA wrote:And... to be clear... I'm not a Bush fan. I'm just SICK of the DOUBLE STANDARD.

Don't look at me. I am not a fan of this kind of rhetoric either. But while I tend to agree with your point about hack-jobs on the POTUS during a protest... it is another thing entirely to be disrespectful in a face to face interview.

And for the record, I was incensed when somebody threw a shoe at Bush... even though I think that was not an American citizen. Still...
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

oaktonhokie wrote:I agree to a point, Hong. The office in my opinion, deserves respect. The problem with this particular president is that he has no respect for others, or the Constitution, or our nation generally. And then he hides behind the respect the office.

There is a very fine line to walk here. Interviewers need answers to questions, that he does not want to give. The tough part is getting them without appearing to be badgering him.

And not letting him slither off the hook.
I agree with interviewing a president and asking tough questions being a tough job. But you can be tough and respectful... or you can badger, interrupt, contradict and be disrespectful.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Bottom line:
Actually there are quite a few unbiased reporters at Fox News. You just have to look at the true news side and not the opinion side.