Nolan, why did you like the multilingual coke ad?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Nolan, why did you like the multilingual coke ad?

Post by ip_law-hokie »

[/quote]

Ok piggie, deporting illegal aliens is xenophobia? If so, why aren't we demanding the legal aliens be deported?[/quote]

just maybe when the illegal alien is your brother in law.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:I actually liked it. I don't get why so many people got upset over it. It wasn't the National Anthem being sung in Chinese. It was America the Beautiful. There is nothing "sacred" about that song. And Coca-Cola is an international company, so what's the big deal if they have an international commercial talking about how beautiful 'Murica is?
I'm most upset over Nolan and the deadspin idiot saying anyone not agreeing with their multicultural nonsense is an idiot or xenophobic. Multiculturalism is a proven loser. And it's hilarious being called xenophobic by WV white boy. My family has 1st generation immigrants from 4 different nations, all Latinos(except me :) ). And I've actually lived in border states instead of preaching how they are by thought experiments. To me it shows how foolish and ignorant the multiculturalist are, they have an idea in their head not based on experience in or knowledge of the world they profess to know.
Your post is amusing because we're both actually on the same page in terms of the importance of assimilation.
Ok, but when you tout deadspin that get's lost. Specially when the article you linked and defended promotes multiculturalism and calls those who disagree idiots. In addition, the idea of Latinos mostly assimilating is not founded in reality. They've been incredibly resistant to it, thanks in no small part to the ramblings and policies of people like the deadspin author. I guess the urge to be contrarian overruled thoughtfulness.
My responses:

1) I'm mocking those who made the "OMG the song should be in English" tweets.
2) If that's not the reality, I would like to see some data suggesting American Latinos refuse to speak English and believe English-speaking natives should cater to them in Spanish only.
1. Who are you to mock anyone? And seriously, you think America The Beautiful is a song for the planet?
2. I've giving you the clues. Now you just need to invest some energy researching. I can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink. Jack Gault also gave you a great example that you keep ignoring.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:I actually liked it. I don't get why so many people got upset over it. It wasn't the National Anthem being sung in Chinese. It was America the Beautiful. There is nothing "sacred" about that song. And Coca-Cola is an international company, so what's the big deal if they have an international commercial talking about how beautiful 'Murica is?
I was most shocked that "God shed his grace on thee" made the lyrical cut. After all the hacking of anything religious from songs recently, I figured they'd at least skip that line.

I guess what Coke is really saying is that America is a Christian nation (God's grace on her - obviously) and the only way all the pictured foreigners can get in on that is to come here. God obviously hates everyone else, including the Broncos.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Florida Hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:Actually, the purpose of commercials is to move merchandise.
And coke is doing that by targeting the one the fastest growing segments of the population...
Fat people?
Nah...they already have the diet soda market locked up! :P
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote: 1. Who are you to mock anyone? And seriously, you think America The Beautiful is a song for the planet?
2. I've giving you the clues. Now you just need to invest some energy researching. I can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink. Jack Gault also gave you a great example that you keep ignoring.
1) I'm fine with mocking those specific tweets.
2) The burden is not on me to prove a negative.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Valencia Hokie wrote:
I was most shocked that "God shed his grace on thee" made the lyrical cut. After all the hacking of anything religious from songs recently, I figured they'd at least skip that line.

I guess what Coke is really saying is that America is a Christian nation (God's grace on her - obviously) and the only way all the pictured foreigners can get in on that is to come here. God obviously hates everyone else, including the Broncos.
They cut Tebow. Seattle has Christian Kam Chancellor. God's wrath was guaranteed!
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote: 1. Who are you to mock anyone? And seriously, you think America The Beautiful is a song for the planet?
1) I'm fine with mocking those specific tweets.
2) The burden is not on me to prove a negative.
The burden is on you to educate yourself instead of demanding to be spoon feed info.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:Image
It jumped up a notch.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:Image
He is calling those that disagree with his own position of assimilation rednecks and idiots. I'm tired of being called an idiot by morons. :mrgreen:
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Don'tcha hate that, Oak? Especially when someone "thinks" they answered the question. What's worse is when they precede their deceptive ways with some trite little platitude like, "I'll gladly reply." Those kind of people are the worst. Filthy, lying hobbitses.
oaktonhokie wrote: You seem reluctant to answer.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Well since America is actually the name of 2 continents in the Western Hemisphere then I find it absolutely appropriate that the song America the Beautiful be performed in different languages to properly reflect the population of the 2 continents. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:Well since America is actually the name of 2 continents in the Western Hemisphere then I find it absolutely appropriate that the song America the Beautiful be performed in different languages to properly reflect the population of the 2 continents. :D
Is that you John Edwards?
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Sometimes I feel like i'm talking to a six year old.

Why do hitters get three strikes?
Because that should be enough and when the game started, hitters got five strikes.

Why did they change?
Because they thought the game would go faster and it would be more fun to play.

Why did they think that?
Because they played the games and they took too long.

Why did they take too long?
Shut up you little *(&*^

Questions asked to get answers are one thing. Even questions to show that the other guy is a boob. But just to nag, just to annoy, just to snipe and whine in the finest tradition of six year olds....WHY?

This is where you and the minstrual invoke the oakton doctrine (misapplied to be sure) and say, repeat after me:

Oh yeah, well one time in band camp, YOU did the same thing. And again last week YOU did the same thing. And then when we talked about the president, YOU did the same thing. You (oakton) are a hypocrite and a liar and a terrible person.

Your side does it too.
Your side does it more.
Your side did it first.

Now onion boy, go ask you mommy why little boys can be such a pita.

Valencia Hokie wrote:Don'tcha hate that, Oak? Especially when someone "thinks" they answered the question. What's worse is when they precede their deceptive ways with some trite little platitude like, "I'll gladly reply." Those kind of people are the worst. Filthy, lying hobbitses.
oaktonhokie wrote: You seem reluctant to answer.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Is that you John Edwards?
The politician or charleton? Oh wait never mind. :mrgreen:

Seriously though one of the biggest gripes I heard when working in South America is what gave us Americans the right to co-op both continents. I explained that we were first. :D

Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote: Questions asked to get answers are one thing. Even questions to show that the other guy is a boob. But just to nag, just to annoy, just to snipe and whine in the finest tradition of six year olds....WHY?
Now you're talk'in, Oak. I freakin HATE it when LIV's come on here and start threads with asinine questions meant only to annoy the other side. Or, they lump every single person into broad, ill defined categories and then burn down the straw ideological houses they've created and lumped everyone in to. And then, when someone has the audacity to call them out on their hypocritical inconsistencies, they get all snipey and whiny and start doing the old "you're too stupid to take up my time" canard. Man, that takes the cake. Then they ice the cake with outright lies, take their ball and go home, declaring insincere defeat because in reality, they can't cohesively defend their arguments so they pull the "I'm better than you" card, go home and get their bludgeoned egos reinforced by the Hannitys of the world.

I take back my previous statement. THOSE people are the worst!

Can I get an Amen, Oak?
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Valencia Hokie wrote:Now you're talk'in, Oak. I freakin HATE it when LIV's come on here and start threads with asinine questions meant only to annoy the other side. Or, they lump every single person into broad, ill defined categories and then burn down the straw ideological houses they've created and lumped everyone in to. And then, when someone has the audacity to call them out on their hypocritical inconsistencies, they get all snipey and whiny and start doing the old "you're too stupid to take up my time" canard. Man, that takes the cake. Then they ice the cake with outright lies, take their ball and go home, declaring insincere defeat because in reality, they can't cohesively defend their arguments so they pull the "I'm better than you" card, go home and get their bludgeoned egos reinforced by the Hannitys of the world.

Can I get an Amen, Oak?
+1 :twisted:

Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

Valencia Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote: Questions asked to get answers are one thing. Even questions to show that the other guy is a boob. But just to nag, just to annoy, just to snipe and whine in the finest tradition of six year olds....WHY?
Now you're talk'in, Oak. I freakin HATE it when LIV's come on here and start threads with asinine questions meant only to annoy the other side. Or, they lump every single person into broad, ill defined categories and then burn down the straw ideological houses they've created and lumped everyone in to. And then, when someone has the audacity to call them out on their hypocritical inconsistencies, they get all snipey and whiny and start doing the old "you're too stupid to take up my time" canard. Man, that takes the cake. Then they ice the cake with outright lies, take their ball and go home, declaring insincere defeat because in reality, they can't cohesively defend their arguments so they pull the "I'm better than you" card, go home and get their bludgeoned egos reinforced by the Hannitys of the world.

Can I get an Amen, Oak?
THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sad thing is, Oak is like that drunk guy that picks a fight at the bar, gets pummelled, and gets up still talking trash. Simply doesn't know when he's been beaten.

Unlike the bar drunk, however, most of us still enjoy beating on him. Just because he's so smug and clueless.

I stand by my original position by the way. Mr. Hand? no way: