1.1 Law of or relating to crime as opposed to civil matters:
a criminal court
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
1.2 • informal (of an action or situation) deplorable and shocking:
he may never fulfill his potential, and that would be a criminal waste
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/02/ ... insulting/
Sotomayor: Labeling Illegal Immigrants Criminals Is Insulting
February 4, 2014 5:53 AM

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who grew up poor in New York City, described Monday how she navigated new worlds of Ivy League universities and the nation’s highest court.

Sotomayor told students at Yale University that she has a competitive drive to improve herself and isn’t afraid to ask questions.

Sotomayor, the first Hispanic on the U.S. Supreme Court, said she didn’t even know what an Ivy League college was when a friend suggested she apply. She wound up attending Princeton and Yale Law School.

On the Supreme Court since 2009, Sotomayor said it was tough at first as justices made references that went over her head. She said joining the high court amounted to joining an ongoing conversation among justices who had served for years.

“I figure I may not be the smartest judge on the court but I’m going to be a competent justice,” she said. “I’m going to try to be the best I can and each year I think my opinions have been getting better. And I’m working at finding my voice a little bit.”

Sotomayor was asked at a talk at Yale Law School later in the day about her use of the term “undocumented immigrants” rather than the traditional illegal alien. Sotomayor characterized the issue as a regulatory problem and said labeling immigrants criminals seemed insulting to her.
Read: Virginia’s Gay Marriage Ban Heads To Court Today

“I think people then paint those individuals as something less than worthy human beings and it changes the conversation,” Sotomayor said.

Sotomayor was interviewed by Judith Resnik, a Yale law professor, in front of a large audience and later by Linda Greenhouse, a journalist-in residence and lecturer at the law school. The earlier questions focused on her memoir, “My Beloved World,” published last year.

The 59-year-old justice said she quickly left an interview to attend Harvard, feeling she didn’t belong. She said Yale students in the 1970s were talking about revolutions in Cuba and other countries while she had attended a Catholic high school where the monsignor supported the Vietnam War.

“This is too progressive for me,” she said of Yale, sparking laughter. “Yeah, strange, right?”
Sotomayor learned how to adapt, finding strength in her culture and getting a broader understanding of the world. She compared it to a bird that flies to different places.

“Learn what the world has to offer and come back to the nest when you need a little bit of comfort,” Sotomayor said.

She admitted that she sometimes finds herself stuck between two worlds, one in which her colleagues talk of operas and another in which she sees a cockroach in an apartment in her old Bronx neighborhood and flees.

“Sometimes I do feel I’m not part of either world completely,” she said. “My life has changed so much that going back I don’t feel I’m completely part of the conversation.”

But she said she’s found overlaps in both worlds that keep her connected, such as common emotions of love and caring.
HokieDan95

Re: Sotomayor:Labeling Illegal Immigrants Criminals Is Insul

Post by HokieDan95 »

how about "foreign trespassers"?
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:
Definition of criminal in English:
criminal
Syllabification: crim·i·nal

NOUN
a person who has committed a crime:
these men are dangerous criminals
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
ADJECTIVE Back to top
1of or relating to a crime:
he is charged with conspiracy to commit criminal damage
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
a criminal court
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who grew up poor in New York City, described Monday how she navigated new worlds of Ivy League universities and the nation’s highest court.

Sotomayor told students at Yale University that she has a competitive drive to improve herself and isn’t afraid to ask questions.

Sotomayor, the first Hispanic on the U.S. Supreme Court, said she didn’t even know what an Ivy League college was when a friend suggested she apply. She wound up attending Princeton and Yale Law School.

On the Supreme Court since 2009, Sotomayor said it was tough at first as justices made references that went over her head. She said joining the high court amounted to joining an ongoing conversation among justices who had served for years.

“I figure I may not be the smartest judge on the court but I’m going to be a competent justice,” she said. “I’m going to try to be the best I can and each year I think my opinions have been getting better. And I’m working at finding my voice a little bit.”

Sotomayor was asked at a talk at Yale Law School later in the day about her use of the term “undocumented immigrants” rather than the traditional illegal alien. Sotomayor characterized the issue as a regulatory problem and said labeling immigrants criminals seemed insulting to her.

“I think people then paint those individuals as something less than worthy human beings and it changes the conversation,” Sotomayor said.

Sotomayor was interviewed by Judith Resnik, a Yale law professor, in front of a large audience and later by Linda Greenhouse, a journalist-in residence and lecturer at the law school. The earlier questions focused on her memoir, “My Beloved World,” published last year.

The 59-year-old justice said she quickly left an interview to attend Harvard, feeling she didn’t belong. She said Yale students in the 1970s were talking about revolutions in Cuba and other countries while she had attended a Catholic high school where the monsignor supported the Vietnam War.

“This is too progressive for me,” she said of Yale, sparking laughter. “Yeah, strange, right?”
Sotomayor learned how to adapt, finding strength in her culture and getting a broader understanding of the world. She compared it to a bird that flies to different places.

“Learn what the world has to offer and come back to the nest when you need a little bit of comfort,” Sotomayor said.

She admitted that she sometimes finds herself stuck between two worlds, one in which her colleagues talk of operas and another in which she sees a cockroach in an apartment in her old Bronx neighborhood and flees.

“Sometimes I do feel I’m not part of either world completely,” she said. “My life has changed so much that going back I don’t feel I’m completely part of the conversation.”

But she said she’s found overlaps in both worlds that keep her connected, such as common emotions of love and caring.

I like how the left touts her while pretending Clarence Thomas doesn't exist. It's black history month after all. Politics is priority 1 to the left, they've lost their humanity.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

How about, "Victims of racist american imperialism targeted at people of color. Victims who are only now attempting to re claim their rightful land from those who stole it away."

That's it, they are not criminals, they are victims. Freedom fighters.

HokieDan95 wrote:how about "foreign trespassers"?
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:How about, "Victims of racist american imperialism targeted at people of color. Victims who are only now attempting to re claim their rightful land from those who stole it away."

That's it, they are not criminals, they are victims. Freedom fighters.

HokieDan95 wrote:how about "foreign trespassers"?
Close, but undocumented immigrants conveys they aren't going to leave. Just squat the land and get some documentation instead of being deported or charged with a crime. You need to add some verbiage that conveys they're not going home and our laws are meaningless.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

This is a great idea the "wise latina" has. While we're at it, let's rename a bunch of crimes.

Carjacker ---> Undocumented Valet
Peeping Tom ---> Undocumented Gynecologist
Terrorist suicide bomber ---> Undocumented Fireworks Technician
Drunk Driver ---> Undocumented Kennedy
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
criminal

NOUN
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
ADJECTIVE Back to top
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
a criminal court
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:This is a great idea the "wise latina" has. While we're at it, let's rename a bunch of crimes.

:lol:
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

I can see how her position bothers social conservatives.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:This is a great idea the "wise latina" has. While we're at it, let's rename a bunch of crimes.

LOL, well done.
Incompetence ---> democrat! ;)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:I can see how her position bothers social conservatives.

murderer --> late, late, late term abortionist.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

murderer --> late, late, late term fourth trimester abortionist.
FIFY ;)
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Golden Corral Chocolate Wonder-Fall ---> Undocumented Juice Cleanse.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Golden Corral Chocolate Wonder-Fall ---> Undocumented Juice Cleanse.

FTFY :)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Hmmmmmmm...I say the HoR should go all Samuel Chase on Sotomayor. :P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:Hmmmmmmm...I say the HoR should go all Samuel Chase on Sotomayor. :P
here, here!

And that liar Kagen too, she lacks the integrity to be a justice.

Liar ----> Undocumented Story Teller
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech

Post by hokie80 »

As an officer of the court, the reality is that Illegal Aliens are committing a crime by entering the country illegally. It's an actual crime.

I realize this goes against the position of extremist left wingers. But is is a fact.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

hokie80 wrote:

As an officer of the court, the reality is that Illegal Aliens are committing a crime by entering the country illegally. It's an actual crime.

I realize this goes against the position of extremist left wingers. But is is a fact.
I'm more surprised a SCOTUS judge isn't aware of this however.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/8/12/II/VIII/1325
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

hokie80 wrote:

But as we see with this administration, and the new one in VA, a fair and honest politician only implements and enforces those laws he is in agreement with. If you believe the law is unjust, or eventually will be changed, then you have no obligation to enforce it.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

Hokie5150 wrote:
criminal

NOUN
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
ADJECTIVE Back to top
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
a criminal court
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

Illegal alien is an archaic term that is, thankfully, on its way out of the lexicon.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

VisorBoy wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
criminal

NOUN
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
ADJECTIVE Back to top
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
a criminal court
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

Illegal alien is an archaic term that is, thankfully, on its way out of the lexicon.

Why is it archaic? It's actually the correct description. They are aliens who have entered the country illegally.

Or you could simply decide to be PC and ignore the facts.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

VisorBoy wrote:Illegal alien is an accurate term...
Ftfy
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

hokie80 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
criminal

NOUN
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
ADJECTIVE Back to top
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
a criminal court
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

Why is it archaic? It's actually the correct description. They are aliens who have entered the country illegally.

I realize that conservatives shudder at the implication that language and meaning can and do evolve over time, but the term illegal alien is, while legally correct, offensive because it undermines the dignity of the individual in question. It defines them by one choice that they've made in their life, and hence devalues them as a person. Further, it's widely accepted that the choice they've made is both a brave one as well as one which many of us might emulate if we were in the same dire straits. They certainly aren't criminals in the stereotypical mold. Additionally, it says nothing about the circumstances surrounding their entrance into the country. Were they brought here as a child by no fault of their own?

The term 'undocumented immigrant' connotes the same idea as 'illegal alien' or 'illegals', but without resorting to name-calling.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

VisorBoy wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
criminal

NOUN
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
ADJECTIVE Back to top
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
a criminal court
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

I realize that conservatives shudder at the implication that language and meaning can and do evolve over time, but the term illegal alien is, while legally correct, offensive because it undermines the dignity of the individual in question. It defines them by one choice that they've made in their life, and hence devalues them as a person. Further, it's widely accepted that the choice they've made is both a brave one as well as one which many of us might emulate if we were in the same dire straits. They certainly aren't criminals in the stereotypical mold. Additionally, it says nothing about the circumstances surrounding their entrance into the country. Were they brought here as a child by no fault of their own?

The term 'undocumented immigrant' connotes the same idea as 'illegal alien' or 'illegals', but without resorting to name-calling.
It's not name calling. It's the correct term. Undocumented sugar coats the reality.

And as I said, they indeed committed a crime. You may not like that fact. But it is fact.

The best way to avoid the term is to enter the country legally like many have. We have a pathway. They should use it. And I think we should make it somewhat easier. But we should NEVER encourage anyone to come here illegally.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
criminal

NOUN
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
ADJECTIVE Back to top
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
a criminal court
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

The dignity of someone breaking the law? See USN's mocking of this idea.